What do you think about this rifle? (358 Win Custom)

GAMEOVER

Okay, so,.. I had a 2001 Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight chambered in 300 WSM. It was a family heirloom so to speak which I only traded my father for our new prized family heirloom rifle. That being said tell me what you guys think about the rifle im about to talk about and if I made a good choice. Here's what I traded my 300 WSM for-

--Ruger Bolt Action Scout Rifle
-.308 conversion to .358 Winchester
-Shilen 22" Match Grade barrel (Matte black)
-New England Custom guns Masterpiece banded front sight w/ flip up front sight w/ large bead.
-Masterpiece rear sight fully adjustable for Elevation and Windage.
-Bolt face machined and Squared to barrel.
-Warne Quick Detachable Matte black medium height scope rings.
-Zeiss Terra scope with Butler Creek flip open scope caps.
-2- 5 round mags
-2- 10 round mags

That all being said.. what do you guys (and ladies) think? Here's a picture attachment. Thanks for your input.

BTW, I totally dig that I can in an INSTANT take down the scope and use fine iron sites for shorter ranges. My 300 WSM didnt have this luxury but ofcourse were talking about different beasts. The 300 WSM also didnt have a scope but had a Bell and Carlson stock. The stock on this one is beautiful but its wood so I have to be careful of oil swelling up the wood. I think ill leave it upside down in the rack after cleaning. The trade also included 5 boxes of Hornady Custom 200 gr ammo.

Attachments

• Custom Ruger.jpg
    Custom Ruger.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I think you made out ok.

The 358 Win is a very fine cartridge, kills animals with authority without too much recoil on the shoulder. Not sure you need a whole detachable box magazine full for hunting, but if you ever needed to fire off a lot of rounds in a hurry, you at least have the option.

Jimro

Great idea. I've read a lot of great things about the .358win, and have been thinking of re-barreling a 7mm-08 to it.

I like the irons and the QR rings, too. If I re-barrel, I'd add the same, but I'll top if off with a 1-4x scope, or even a good red dot.

How's it shoot?

Thanks guys, it only has one round through it and that was a test round that I didnt fire. My father kept that casing. I have the cutout for the Match Grade barrel with a serial number for proof of the barrel. The 358 is a VERY potent CONTROLABLE round. I love the caliber based off my research which im constantly doing on firearms consistantly. so im not losing much with the loss of the 300 Short Mag (the 358 should expand better IN target at closer ranges). Ive never owned such a fine firearm im just very happy. I feel blessed.

Wish I could get more trigger time. But im very poor yet very rich if you know what I mean. I use to only shoot handguns. My father was in Vietnam and then has worked at the same gun shop as a gunsmith etc and does so to this very day. I trust my fathers sound advice on firearms and am so glad he raised me the way he did.

Last edited:
"The 358 Win is a very fine cartridge, kills animals with authority" That comment put a HUGE smile on my face.

Im blessed.

My father and I are short stocky guys so we love certain firearms inheritantly. This 22" barrel is perfect in length for me. It feels like it was made to be an extension of my body. It is custom but it feels so custom that he had me measured and a firearm made for me LOL.

Here's an HD pic to show the stock better. Im suprised I didnt get much feedback, not much traffic through here?

Attachments

• Custom Ruger HD1.jpg
    Custom Ruger HD1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 95
I'd LOVE to have one!

The detachable aspect of the magazine may not be necessary, but a 10-round .358 Winchester seems to ME like a WONDERFUL back-up gun for tackling Brown bear, and other large dangerous animals. If used for these, the ranges would likely be necessarily short, so ballistics beyond 100 yards would seem to be minor considerations. The ability to put many large(er) bore bullets into an agitated bruin from a very unobtrusive rifle would seem TO ME AT LEAST, to be a MAJOR consideration.

For less threatening game, the .358 can reach out far enough to anchor most things in the western hemisphere. "Puts animals down with authority" is an EXCELLENT way of characterizing the .358. I hope the originator of that phrase won't mind if I use that line.

If you own a .308 or .243, then you also enjoy commonality of brass, so if you reload, you can run 3 rifles on a single type of brass.

Kosh: Yeah I liked that comment to lol 10 rounds of 358 is a NIGHTMARE for any animal in North America.

I dont know how to personally reload but my dad does and told me to save my brass and hell make me some very nice rounds for my rife.

Handloading can definitely bring out the "A Game" for the 358 Win, and when you have limited factory options it's a great excuse to get into handloading.

Ask your father to teach you to reload your own brass, that way when the time comes that you need to do it yourself you don't end up like I did and try to learn from books. It worked out ok for me, but it would have been nice to spend some time with someone who really knew what they were doing before jumping in the deep end.

If you can find an RCBS 57944 cast bullet mold, snap it up. I'm a big fan of heavy for caliber bullets at a modest velocity, and the 250 nominal weight at 1,900 to 2,200 fps is plenty "big medicine" for hunting.

If you neck up surplus Lake City brass, cast your own bullets, and use Wolf LR primers, you can shoot that 358 Win for what others are paying for cheap 223 plinking loads. Takes a bit of effort though.

Jimro

Thanks Jimro, I noted your info down illl see if he'll show me the light hes 65 so hes gettin up there im 31. Id love for my father to be the one to teach me how to load. Hell that VET taught me how to shoot!

I will be completely honest with my opinion.
As a hunting rifle, the 10 round magazine is out of place.
As a tactical rifle, the 358 Winchester is out of place.
Put a 5 round mag in it, and you have one beautiful hunting rifle. I would love to have it in my collection. Always thought the 358 Winchester should make a great short to medium range deer gun.

Cheapshooter I dont see how you could possibly say this couldnt be a tactical rifle. Its compact with the 22" MATCH GRADE barrel and has iron site options that you could use in seconds with the fast scope take down. Also how could you say the 358 ISNT a tactical round?? You get LESS recoil with MORE POWER. The 358 as a round also will transfer all that energy better IN TO the target rather then fall short or be too much. So im really baffled by your comment.

Id say thats pretty damn tactical. Letting off 10 rounds of 358 is brutal AND MORE POWERFUL then most tactical rifles.

I do like your signature though cheapshooter and agree with it lol..

At the same time this IS my hunting rifle that I also use for home defense (yeah i know, not practical). Yet as you said pop the 5 round mag in there. Thats exactly what I intend to do.. for hunting. For home, the 10 stays in. Doubt id ever need that much heat though. Unless the Russians were coming.. :p

Last edited:
hartcreek: Simple, it was a 2001 WSM model 70 the year that rifle was made was in the old factory and when QC was at its highest. Id say newer heirloom is what it was. But, that rifles gone the new heirloom is this 358.

My rifles are being passed down to my son at the right time so yeah they are a heirloom.

I DO NOT sell my guns. They have to be stolen from me or pried from my cold dead hands.

I did have a Springfield Armory XDm 9mm 5.25 in 9mm that I used for home and around town that was STOLEN from me. I learned to be very careful who I show and tell to since that. I still never got my gun back and the suspect who took it is in prison right now for shooting a guy in the head not killing him but putting it through a guys eye. I was hoping it was NOT my handgun used but would lead the police to my handgun but I have yet to hear a single thing. I had the original XDm too with the straighter slide serations.

Last edited:
I would either add a cheekpiece or lower rings to get a good cheek weld. Ten round mags are great for range work but will slow you down in the woods.

You could not get a better caliber. With the RCBS 200 gr RNFP at 1900 fps, it will drop any deer in it's tracks. Above that velocity it ruins too much meat.

A 158 gr. JHP going 2500 fps vaporizes varmits.

Yeah Michigan has its fair share of deer that's what I plan on going for. With protection from black bears.

I have this thing about bears I dont like em. :)

Last edited:
My question is how can someone have an heirloom from 2001? I have socks older then that.

Future heirloom would probably be more accurate.

If you are happy, then that is all that matters, but I think the other guy got the best end of the deal. The Winchester "Classics" made between 1992 and 2006 have proven to be the best Winchesters ever made. They currently sell for more than most pre-64's and since they made fewer of them over a much shorter time frame will only increase in value over time.

Custom rifles rarely bring any more than the same rifle as it left the factory. If you find the right person who just wants the same thing it might sell for a small premium. Otherwise they are a lot harder to sell.

Performance wise the 358 doesn't offer any advantage over 308, and is a big step down from 300 WSM. Recoil with 165's in the 300 WSM will be less than the 358 with 200's. Shoot 200's in both of them and the 300 WSM has about 2-3 ft lbs more recoil. You'll have a hard time telling the difference. The same rifle left in 308 would have much less recoil and be much cheaper to shoot.

For some reason people think that they need to move up in caliber to shoot heavy bullets. They make 200-220 gr bullets in 30 caliber, some available as heavy as 250 gr. It is not bullet weight that determines performance on bigger game as much as bullet length. A 200gr bullet loaded in a 308 @ 2550 fps or in a 300 WSM @ 2950 fps is a MUCH longer bullet than a 200gr bullet loaded in a 358 @ 2600 fps. It'll shoot flatter, hit harder at long range, and penetrate deeper at any range. Even when fired at 308 speeds.

The only real advantage you have is the iron sights. They could have been added to the Winchester for less than the price of a budget scope. They make QD mounts for the Winchester too.

Back