What caliber is your concealed carry weapon(s)?

What is your concealed carry caliber?

• 9mm

Votes: 109 37.7%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • .45 GAP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .380 ACP

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 48 16.6%
  • 10mm

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • .357 mag

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • .32 ACP

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • .25 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
.38 Special +P, specifically, five rounds of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 special +P 135 grain rounds in my S&W 642-1 (no-lock), with another 5 in a Bianchi speed strip either in my left front jeans pocket or in my coat pocket. I'm 24 by the way, revolvers aren't just for "Old Pharts" anymore. Us young "Whipper Snappers" like wheel guns too. :cool:

This is sort of an interesting thread for an internet firearms forum, from the respect that it's not being dominated by semi-auto pistol and .40 S&W users.

Nice to see so many folks who haven't bought into the "revolvers are obsolete" diatribe. ;)

Of course, I'm one of the ever dwindling numbers of LE revolver shooters who wouldn't mind seeing it remain an option to carry a revolver on-duty ... especially if it were one of the newer 7 or 8-shot .357's, and even more especially if it had a lightweight Scandium aluminum frame.

I'd have been quite content to have been allowed to carry either a M13 or M65 3" HB in my plainclothes assignment toward the end of my career (using Magnum ammo).

Last edited:
I grew up shooting a .45 ACP, so 85% of my carrying days were with a Mk IV Series 70 or a Springfield Armory NM M1911A1. The remainder of my carrying time was about evenly distributed among a Ruger Police Service Six, a Firestar .40 S&W, and a Taurus M431 .44 Special. I still have the Ruger and sorely miss the other two.

My holster is a Milt Sparks Yaqui Slide for carry when concealment doesn't really matter, and a Milt Sparks Summer Special for when concealment DOES matter.

Since I'm past the half-century mark, I'm finding the virtues of alloy frames more appealing. I'm shopping about for a Commander-size 1911 with a frame that makes it weigh in under 28 ounces empty.

Suggestions would be gratefully received.

.45 acp ....in a Wilson Combat CQB model, 5" gun....in an IWB rig from Kramer leather.

.45 acp because I like it / and in a full sized 1911, because its the platform I shoot the best...( and I train with it at least twice a week ).

The poll assumes that folks only carry one or the same gun all the time. I carry 9mm, 40S&W or .357 as primary with either 22LR, 32ACP or .380 as a BUG.

Different attire deserves different methods of carry and carry guns. Some might say that one should stick to a single weapon lest they stumble when the doo-doo hits the fan. I somewhat agree with that; so all my carry weapons are DAO with no manual safeties.

It's not as much about caliber but type of ammo that makes a difference in defense. I use 9mm and .45ACP in Hornady Critical Duty which met all 12 requirements of the CIA.

I have always carried a full size 1911 in .45 ACP. I'm looking to get a full sized-ish 9mm (HK VP9 or CZ P-09) and may consider carrying it as well.

Hey Tucker1371,
I bought a CZ P09 a little over a month ago and it is one of the best shooting pistols I have ever owned. I don't have any experience with the VP9 but I have read a lot of positive reviews about them.

I like the grip on the VP9 more than any poly pistol I've ever held. It's trigger ain't too shabby for a striker fired gun either. I haven't gotten to handle a P-09 but I wasn't thrilled with the grip on the P-07 I handled, albeit it wasn't a model with interchangeable back straps. I really don't think I can decide until I get to handle a P-09 with the smallest blackstrap inserted.

I noticed that you live in East Tn. I held a P07 at Buds Gun Shop in Sevierville when my wife and I were on vacation. I can't remember if it had the interchangeable back straps or not, but I really liked the grip texture. I guess that's what inspired me to get the P09.

.357 in a sp101. Because its what I shoot the best. Got away from the semi-auto when I got sick of picking up my brass. So I stick with a revolver and the .357 and .38 seems to fit the bill. Add a laser to it and even with these old eyes I hit what I aim at.

Back