What caliber is your concealed carry weapon(s)?

What is your concealed carry caliber?

• 9mm

Votes: 109 37.7%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • .45 GAP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .380 ACP

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 48 16.6%
  • 10mm

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • .357 mag

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • .32 ACP

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • .25 ACP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I own pistols and revolvers chambered in five of the calibers in the selection, and a couple of others not listed. Many of which if not all, I've carried at one time or another. In doing so I started thinking that though I am in my mind capable with any one of them, perhaps it is best to simply choose one. My choice for the last four years has been my SP 101 in .357 in a Kangaroo with a speed strip in my pocket. There have been a couple brief instances where I had to change due to particular 'on the job' circumstances, but it has felt a little off and I don't care for it.

My Ruger LC9s, a 9mm, is my regular every day carry, but sometimes I slip my LCP (380acp) or my S&W640 (38+p) into my pocket instead. I never carry anything smaller than the 380, and rarely larger than 38 Special but on some occasions have carried a 40. My only 45 is a bit big for carry, and my 22's are strictly for the range.

I didn't see any vote, but then I am on the phone.
Usually the G32 in 357sig, but have a G19 as well. Both guns are set up identical, and of course use the same holsters, manual of arms, etc.
If going smaller, I have a p64 in 9mm makarov. I also have a keltec p32 for something really small, but rarely use it.
I still have my Kimber compact in 45, but haven't carried it in years now. It was my edc for a long time, though, and shows it.

My off duty, concealed carry gun is a sub-compact 9mm Springfield XDm. It can be a little bulky at times but it is comfortable in my Galco KingTuk IWB holster. I like the 9mm round and the magazine holds quite a few rounds should the occasion ever arise.

Only 1 vote for a caliber, huh?

Okay, I went .38 Spl, since I've opted for a J-frame snub more often than not. Once I got into Airweight J's (instead of steel), I could often be found pocketing (holstered) a J-frame snub after long hours of wearing the issued weapon (which ran the gamut from 9, to .40 & .45 ACP).

Now I own more than half a dozen J's. ;)

Sure, depending on my planned circumstances for any particular day or night's activities (and areas involved), I may opt for a belt gun. If so, I'll often reach for one of my many 9's, .40's or .45's, but more often than not I prefer something smaller & lighter on my own time ... and especially now that I'm retired.

I've even gone to pocketing a LCP .380 at times, especially if I'm wearing jeans with front pockets that are too short & tight to accommodate one of my J's. Just picked up a new stainless LCP to supplement my blued model.

I remember as a young cop thinking that the only "worthwhile" calibers to carry on-duty were either a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum, and off-duty either .357 Magnum, .45 ACP or .44 Magnum. I grudgingly accepted 9mm when they took my issued .357 away. :eek:

However, time, training and experience often changes things, including perspectives. ;) I carried issued 9's, .40's & .45's over the years, and added several 9 & .40 to personally-owned calibers.

Since I still keep my hand in things as a firearms instructor and armorer, though, I still get in a decent amount of range time for training, drills & quals. I'm one of those guys who thinks it's enjoyable and relaxing to shoot 5-shot snubs in DA/DAO configuration, even using the assortment of +P I use in my +P capable snubs. I'll often take them out to 45-50yds to ring steel, too.

Since 9, .40 & .45 are issued service calibers, I've no trouble getting in enough range time with pistols which use them.

I still prefer the .38 & .380 more often than not, though. I spent enough years having to wear a larger belt gun all day/night.

Last edited:
After alot of fuss and bother with other calibers, I ended back with 38 special. Power, recoil, convenience to carry all favor this caliber. I habitually carry a 38 Derringer or a 38 snubby.

I just up graded from a 9mm KelTec to a Glock 30S. I watched the movie Dirty Harry again the other night and I had an idea that I might want to carry my Dan Wesson 44 mag with vent heavy barrel if I can carry it without having to bend over too far sideways when I walk.

since the poll wasn't multiple choice I had to go other I carry 5 different calibers and I'm looking at a 10mm also.

I have three 9mm pistols, a 38spl revolver and a 357 revolver(rarely sees 357's, generally handload 125's right in the middle between 38+ and low end 357), and a .40 shield.

I haven't shot the .40 shield but once since I got it. I would say the gun has less than 30 rounds through it. I had a glock 22 for about 6 weeks and promptly sold it to a friend. I couldn't shoot it very well, and he shoots it even worse, although he is pretty bad with any pistol. I like the idea of a .40, I just haven't found one that I can shoot as well as a 9mm, especially at any distance past 10 yards. but it's a potent round, has great velocity even with decently heavy bullet weights, I just wish I was as proficient with it as other calibers. .45....no problem, the gun I was most accurate with in my life was a witness in .45, I just cant get love from a .40. I doubt that it is an inherently inaccurate round, but for me it proves otherwise and I am not recoil shy, I really just don't know why.

now for my daily carry.....9mm all the way.i am a handloader and there are soooo many cool .356 offerings. I load bullets from 80gr to 135 to 150gr and everything inbetween. I love the fast speed, pretty much ensuring massive expansion from any quality hollowpoint, I have rounds that expand past .650 without shedding petals. my 9mm pistols have no problems feeding whatever whacko bullet design I throw at it and they are just plain fun. they are hi-cap in small sizes, low recoil even in a pocket pistol and fast to get back on target. and if your shooting a full-size steel frame 9mm hammer fired, you can pull that trigger as fast as you can and put them all in that little red "dirty bird" circle.

I know some of you folks can do the same with a .40, and to that I say congratulations and stick with. it IS a superior cartridge, even if only slightly, but I have more faith in the penetration f a .40 than any other small pistol round, excluding magnums of course. but for me, i'll take the added control with a couple extra rounds of a "sufficient" caliber. I don't like .45 ballistics and I feel very uncomfortable with .380(probably unsubstantiated). i'll admit to throwing the 38++P in my pocket every now and then, but nothing makes me feel warm and fuzzy like a 12+ capacity 9mm with some good handloaded hollow-points.

carry on folks, I am pretty sure whatever caliber we choose, they will all save our lives if we are well trained and use them properly and responsibly. we all have a reason to trust what we carry and no one here is wrong........well unless your rockin a hiezer pocket sniper, then YES, you ARE wrong

Back