What and how do you carry at funerals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to only 3 funerals since I've been carrying. At all, I carried my P32 BUG in my back trouser pocket. Both my suits utilize suspenders, so belt carry is out, and since my P32 is my "everything and everytime" gun, I have, at least, been "armed."

"Why would you not carry at a funeral? "

Well, no real reason I guess. Except some states prohibit CC in churches which might be a problem at a funeral.

Now why don't YOU answer "Why carry at a funeral?" Carry in the shower? Carry in bed? Carry at a kid's birthday party? C'mon. At some point it stops being prudent and becomes silly.

Whent to a Funeral yesterday. Ruger LCR 357 IWB, S&W 442 in pocket. Extra ammo, pocket Knife, pepper spray, flashlight, phone, wallet, etc. Just another day.

...the only thing I would ever admit to carrying during a funeral was the casket. As others have said, what's different about a funeral as opposed to anywhere else? Carrying concealed is NOT a fashion statement nor does it mean you should tell everyone what and where you carry.

SaxonPig said:
Now why don't YOU answer "Why carry at a funeral?" Carry in the shower? Carry in bed? Carry at a kid's birthday party? C'mon. At some point it stops being prudent and becomes silly.
I'm naked in the shower, besides, my guns prefer bathing in Hoppe's #9 instead of water and Irish Spring. It hangs out beside the sink. In the bed it's beside me on the nightstand. Kids birthday party? On my hip as usual. Why wouldn't it be?

Do you carry your wallet to a funeral? What are you going to buy? Pocket knife? What are you going to cut? Cell phone? You gonna chat with your girlfriend during the service? I'm betting you have these things with you, why not your sidearm?

I generally wear a sport coat or some kind of jacket to the funeral home, so OWB works fine for me. If someone feels it, they just feel it.

SaxonPig said:

Unfortunately I cannot snap my fingers or have Scotty beam me up to the funeral home. For funerals you often have to travel a couple hours to get there, and as most people know road rage incidents are pretty common, especially where I live in the Boston area. Drive through the city and count how many middle fingers or curses you see coming out of a drivers window. The one thing I noticed when traveling down south or to the mid west, is people are ALOT friendlier than Bostonians.

I only carry when I am awake and since it's 9mm-45acp IWB that's what it would be at a funeral as well. Carrying is an insurance policy none of us wants to use just like car insurance etc but if it does you will be glad you have insurance.

Can't compare a wallet to a gun. The law compels me to have my license while driving and I have numerous things I can count on needing everyday in it. The gun has one purpose.

Look, you want to carry 60/24/7/365 knock yourself out. Your right.

Just as it's my right to think one can go too far with the idea.

I carry some kind of gun on me all the time except when I'm in the shower (gun is on the vanity) and when I'm sleeping (gun is on nightstand beside me). I have done this for years and it is just natural to me.

Also, I read somewhere that 100% of all home invasions happened at home.

Since Virginia law is murky on carrying in a church, if the funeral is in a church I leave it in the truck. I carry whenever legal. All I ever carry is LCP in front pocket, and would take that into church except for the law. Nobody would feel it in a hug.

I'm 57 years old, and have only been to a half dozen funerals in the last 20 years.

One in the last ten years. Statistically speaking, this does not even register on my radar screen.

I carried (to the best of my recollection) whatever and however I was carrying that day, and gave it zero thought. I was far more concerned about the deceased and his family than I was about my manner of carry.

Is this a regular occurrence in your life? And if so, are you doing something wrong?

Really...don't you have something more important to be concerned with?

Westboro baptist church might show up to Pickett a funeral. That's a good reason to carry.
I know of no instance in which they've been known to resort to physical violence. I'm not fond of them either, but let's not make innuendos, no matter how veiled.

My home state prohibits carry in church, so I've gone to a few funerals unarmed. Others were in DC or New York, so those were also no-go.

If someone wants to legally carry at a funeral, I don't see an issue. Me? I can go either way.

I've carried at every funeral I've been to since I've been licensed to carry, and I carry the same exact thing I carry every other place I ever go... my EDC, Glock 29.

How? Same as always, IWB. I can't imagine why I'd need to change things up based on destination.

It would simply be dangerous to carry in the shower or to carry while sleeping, either situation would make it extremely difficult or impossible to manipulate, retain or control the firearm. Neither would be termed "silly", both should be termed reckless.

Carry at a funeral?
Carry at a kid's birthday party?

Are these honest questions, are you implying at any level that it's senseless or "silly" to do that?

If there is ever a reason to carry in some average daily activity, does that reason evaporate when the daily activity becomes something off the beaten path, whether it be a funeral, birthday party, or some other _______ event someone might come up with?

Can't see the direction you're trying to go with this.

I agree with Sevens: So why exactly is it silly to carry at a kid's birthday party compared to anywhere else? No, what's silly is to pick and choose where you're going to carry based on perceived risk; that shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the whole point of concealed carry.

Let's continue my seatbelt analogy: Say the birthday party is just a few miles away via safe roads. By SaxonPig's reasoning if someone wore a seatbelt on the way to the party that would also be silly. Instead, they should assess each route they take by car and only wear a seatbelt on the more dangerous roads during heavier traffic, because wearing a seatbelt when you're not likely to get into an accident is just silly.

To me, the only time I don't carry is if it's illegal or if it's too technically or socially awkward for me to do so. Carrying in the shower is technically awkward. Carrying at a funeral could be socially awkward if you're worried that with all the people hugging you the wrong person might notice. So if you're worried that the wrong person might discover you're carrying at a kid's birthday party, then I can understand (though that's more of an issue with your carry gun, your holster, and your clothing than anything else). But if you think it's silly to carry at a kid's birthday party just because it's a kid's birthday party then that's just ridiculous.

Why??

Why are people using this thread to argue that since they prefer not to carry to a funeral, others shouldn't either?

?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back