What and how do you carry at funerals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff Tannen

It's almost hard to ask because it's such a personal subject, but I'm very curious....
What do you carry and how do you carry it at funerals, and what is your reasoning in your decisions?
Personally, I carry an NAA mini .22 deringer in my suit pocket, it stays invisible and I carry because all my loved ones are with me.
What's your M.O.?
Thanks, stay safe, and God bless!

If I am going to a situation where there may be a lot of hugging or touching, I prefer to pocket carry a Diamondback DB9.
Not everyone needs to know that I carry, so I like to stay away from people asking what is that hard bump on your hip?

Sans souci:
I carry at a funeral for the same reason that I carry while walking a block to the store... One never knows. And with all my loved ones there, all the more reason.

I feel that self-defense reasons like that are good justification to carry.
Don't you?

Plus, haven't you seen "Night of the Living Dead"? :D

Last edited:
I imagine I'd very the same thing I do whenever I dress up - sa xds. But, I'm not much of a hugger, and I rarely go to funerals, so I may not be a great base line.

I find that I'm going to more and more funerals lately, or at least visitations.

I wear my Sunday clothes, so my Ruger Blackhawk is on my hip.

And at these events, there are very few folks there who don't know I carry. In fact, most expect me to. And those who don't know got no business hugging me.

Bob Wright

Why would you carry any differently than you would anywhere else?

Personally, I wouldn't . . . it would be left in the car . . but that's me.

If the funeral is in a church . . . in Michigan . . you can't carry in a church unless you have written permission from the church . . . only exception is LEO or former LEO waiver. I'm sure that the laws varies from state to state in regards to that.

I just find this a really "odd" question . . . if someone is paranoid enough that they feel they have to carry at a funeral . . maybe they ought to stay home . . . . or question why they feel the need?

bt, 12/21/13

Good question. I go to a fair number of funerals, maybe one a month and always carry. For those that question the need remember that no place or event is completely safe including hospitals, churches etc.- places that were thought of as being perfectly safe. Being prepared means that you carry every place you can legally because you can't predict when you'll encounter a problem, even at funerals. If you could predict then most of us would avoid that place.

merry christmas- oldandslow

Why would you carry at a funeral?

Because you have to get there, and get home. I don't leave a gun in my vehicle unless there is no other option.
As in any situation where the highest degree of concealment is required, I would carry my LCP in a DeSantis Memisis pocket holster.
Ruger LCP, the gun you carry when you can't carry a gun.

If I am carrying in dress clothes, I am generally going to ankle carry my Beretta Tomcat, while keeping a full size 9mm or 45ACP in the trunk of my car if needed.

I find ankle carry especially convenient if one is spending much of their time sitting (funeral, driving, etc.).

Funeral carry

Folks,
I carry a 9mm Smith in a IWB holster. The same thing I carry anywhere else.
BTW, how does a person know where to carry is the right place? Just askin'?:confused:

For the actual funeral service, mine is required by law to be in my car as it is illegal to carry in a church without permission from the pastor/head of the church.

For visitations ("wakes" depending where you are from), or before/after being in the church, I carry the same way I do every other day, IWB carry of a compact 40 S&W at 4 o'clock. I see no need to carry it any other way. If they do feel it during a hug or other embrace, I have never had a single person ask what it is.

If I absolutely had to, I guess I would strap an S&W .38 Bodyguard to my ankle. Prior to this question being posed, I never really gave it much thought... Then again, I don't know how I would feel about carrying into a church...

Biff,

I have been able to carry a handgun for over thirty years. I rarely carry one. I do live in an extremely safe city. I do not go to high crime areas unless I have to & then I'll take a handgun. I have been to funerals, and have never brought a handgun.

I do take a handgun when I take my kids fishing in the Sierra Nevada Mountains for protection against bears & lions.

Funeral or Wedding, makes no difference. I always carry my Kimber .45 Stainless Pro Carry. I have a right to self protection and someone may try to violate that right in almost any conceivable place. I want to be prepared. I have no qualms about being the last man standing.

Bedbugbilly:
You asked why I'd carry differently at a funeral than anywhere else...
Reason being the dramatic wardrobe change, most folks I know wear a suit to a funeral, but jeans and flannel / teeshirt, etc to a blue collar job.
And so, when te wardrobe is different, it may alter your draw technique, your conceal ability, etc.

SanSouci said:
I have been able to carry a handgun for over thirty years. I rarely carry one. I do live in an extremely safe city. I do not go to high crime areas unless I have to & then I'll take a handgun. I have been to funerals, and have never brought a handgun.
A handgun doesn't do you much good if you don't have it with you. If you don't want to carry a gun that's fine, but don't act surprised at those of us who carry everywhere we go.

A carry gun is like a seatbelt: It's only helpful when you actually have it on you. Hopefully you're never going to need it, but it's pretty hard to know when exactly that's going to be, so it makes sense to just have it on you at all times. Do you decide not to buckle up because you're just taking a leisurely drive to the grocery store? Do you only wear your seatbelt when you drive on a busy highway? Probably not.

Most people are never going to need to use their gun, and for those that do it will probably be only once. So if you're actually serious about armed self-defense and you're trying to be prepared for that one time you might need your gun, why in the world would you only carry it some of the time? That makes no sense to me at all.

Shotgun, Beretta 9mm, and a Katana.

You never know when the zombie apocalypse is going to hit, and if you're already at ground zero, you want to be prepared...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back