Water & Wings in PA - closed?

Geoff,
Ackleys was burgled. Below is the blurb on it. Potter County is further West.
Pappy John, Is there an airport nearby your place in Potter County? Quantrill

A familiar stop for sportsmen of the Southern Tier was robbed early Sunday morning. Ackley and Sons, of Westfield PA, were burgled by thieved who, police say, knew what they were doing. Officials say that the suspects disabled the stores security system allowing them plenty of time to steal nearly 200 semi-automatic rifles and a wide array of handguns. The stores owner says that everything was insured, so he wont lose any money, but these guns could be going anywhere. This is the largest burglary ever committed in Tioga County. Pennsylvania State Police urge anyone with information to contact them at 570-662-2151.

Anyone heard of this place?

F. & S. Wicen
3179 Mozart Rd.
Furlong, Pa. 18925
Buckingham Twp.

215-598-3534

It was listed in the PA Club over at GT. Supposed to a farm or something.

OK found this:

F. & S. Wicen

Right above Warrington/Willowgrove area.

Last edited:
Geoff, okay, I know where Westfield is located.

Quantrill, yes there is a large grass airstrip at Cherry Springs. Elevation is around 2300 ft IIRC.

I found that airport on the map. A couple of us could get in that way if the weather is OK and someone could pick us up (if there were to be a gathering). Quantrill

Wow 200 guns, that would not even make a dent in their inventory!

That had to be an inside job.

You are correct Quantrill, it is just over the Tioga county line. I missed it and drove into Potter county, that's why I mentioned it.

It would be a ride for me in Susquehanna County, The guys from Philly would need sleeping arrangements.

Mike I have heard about Wicen's Farm somewhere. Probably it was mentioned on TFL somewhere.

You and Mr Pop can do some recon I'm sure.

$10 a day sounds reasonable. :D

Sorry to hear this.............

WOW.........
I thought my range in Jersey would have been shut down WAY before W&W.

Jamie and crew:
You are always welcome to come to my "little range" if you need a stress relieving day.

(When do we want the next Jersey Shoot to happen?)

RW3

Anyone heard of this place?

F. & S. Wicen
3179 Mozart Rd.
Furlong, Pa. 18925
Buckingham Twp.

215-598-3534

It was listed in the PA Club over at GT. Supposed to a farm or something.

OK found this:

F. & S. Wicen

Right above Warrington/Willowgrove area.

Been there about a year ago. What a fiasco.

They had set up for a military vehicle show and machinegun shoot, but apparently didn't notify the local Barney Fife. Within about an hour of opening up the line, the police were on site asking for everyone to show paper & stamps. Bottom line was that the shoot was then cancelled and althugh they refunded everyone's money, many paople (myself included) came from quite a way to go shooting and expected a bit more than an hour on the line. From what I've been able to find out since, it seems they've received quite a few complaints from a neighbor who happens to be a local developer with an interest in buying the land to turn into yet another eyesore of a development. Like we need more 'rural rowhomes' for more soccer moms to move in...

Anyhow, they were supposed to go to court to see what they could do against the township, but I'm not sure how it all played out, or even if its all played out at this point. It could be a good place to shoot, but they do need to work on the backstop. In all fairness, houses can be seen not too far from the firing line and a ND could easily get out of the range property and into someone's home.

BTW - If anyone hs any leads on reasonably priced acreage for sale in PA anywhere east of Williamsport, please let me know.

(When do we want the next Jersey Shoot to happen?)

Ray! Check your PM over at American Backyard!!!

I'd like to hold another gathering in late April or May.

I really have to make sure I plan these PA shoots out well ahead of time. The guys over www.ambackforum.com are all gonna wanna come out and these shoots are already pretty big.

I have to make sure it's after Turkey season so PappyJohn shows up.

Shaggy...I knew I had heard about that place somewhere. I remember that incident now, it was a problem with full auto and a local constable not familiar with law. Still it caused problems with the locals.

There is a thread somewhere on THR or another forum.

As to affordable land, best thing to do is get the local "Shopping Guide" or "Pennysaver" type paper in the area you are interested in. The best pieces of land are shopped to the locals first before they go to the National Real Estate types.

I wish I had known that before I escaped from NY. I got lucky and stumbled onto a good piece purely by luck after searching through normal channels for almost a year.

You are probably referring to the "Root Shoot" that was held up here near me. Was on AR15.com a few years ago.

Been looking for that guy but cannot find him :eek: If they held another one I would most certainly hear about it, or hear it as it was in the next township over.

I think he was shut down. :mad:

A place named Plamerton off the turnpike inbetween philly and scranton somewhere...1,2, and 300 yard ranges. I dont know much about, i'll have arc angel post. he knows more about it.

Just got in from Lehigh Valley Sporting Clay. Nice place. The club house is small but the sporting clay course is excellent. They have A & B stations at every, well, station. The small map at each station is on a "white-board" and it looks like they change the course often.
The place itself is really cool. Shooting around all those broken down factory building is just plain neat. If they could import some zombies, they'd fit right in. There were several Rabbits and a few mini's as well, including a true-pair of mini's. Those things are quick.
The guns that we saw would pay off a good part of my mortgage. Lot's of neat stuff for sale on the bulletin board as well. K80's, K80 barrels, Silver Pigeon II, Red Label, Gold Pigeon, and some high-end stuff that I recognized but I can not spell. And there we were with an unamed Spanish OU, a two year old Remington Express with 28" VR barrel and my '55 Wingmaster with a plain 28" barrel.
The course is in excellent shape. Quite a change from W&W which more often than not has at least two stations down for repairs.
Since it was our first time we had to use a "trapper". We had a young lad named Andy who was actually very helpful as a coach and he was a pretty good sport to not make too much fun about our guns. He was fascinated by the fact that we had a couple pump-guns and I suspect he does not often see a gun worth less than 2K or at least 1.5K, let alone less than 150.00.
We shot the "B" stations on report except for the final which we shot as a double.
It was very windy and freakin' freezing in Allentown but it was still a real hoot.
By the way, we passed through Guthsville on the way and I do believe there is a very nice rifle/pistol range there so we might be able to do some sort of combo day or weekend shoot. I mean this place was a stone's throw away.
It was 35.00 for 100 clays (33.00 for NRA members or Vets) and 15.00 for the four seater cart which we split three ways. Overall this is, I think, about 5 (or 3) bucks more than W&W.
Can't wait to go again!
Mike

Well for me it would be closer, but that will probably be a minus for most of the people involved :D

PS Finally got a 28"barrel did you :D

28" barrel....

It came on the '55; a plain single beaded job. It's very odd, for me, to shoot an 870 without rifle-sights or at least twin beads on a vent-rib. Suddenly cheek-weld really matters!

Thinking about heading up again on Monday, Presidents' Day, it they're open.

Has anyone been to W&W this month?
Are they actually closing or is it just rumored as such?
I've been handloading for several rifles with the 500 yard backer in mind.
A friend of mine told me that Wicens was shut down for good becasue of development in the area, but I have yet to drive by.
I was there in December and Steve Wicen told me the military show fiasco cost them over 100K in range overhaul and legal fees.
They were also allowing semi-autos centerfires, which was a first in the 10 years I've been going.

If any "regulars" want to have an impromptu get-together at W&W, let me know. I really need to get out and shoot, and I don't have any gun shows in March, so me weekends are free. I also still have a heavy box with 9mmMike's name on it. ;)

I am in dire need of some serious "Trigger Time". PGC range has been snowed in for months :(

How about March 12 or 13.

Let's start the snivelin and get this settled.

Back