Unusual Targets

Old propane tanks, the kind with the old valve or ones that are too rusty or unsightly for grill duty.

Just be sure they're empty, they made a very satisfying noise when hit..and are pretty tough untill you start hitting them with slugs or centerfire rifles.

Half full ones sound like more fun *•*•

I had an old bag of charcoal briquettes. I never use them because I have a gas grill now. To be honest I don't know why I kept them. I took them out shooting one day and set them up on spent shotgun shells like golf balls on tees. I set them up all over the place and it was great. They turn into black wisps of smoke when you hit them and they are cheap.

Nekko wafers, a cheap, coin-shaped candy is great for target practice, they are @ one inch diameter.

Clay pigeons ( shotgun targets ) set on edge at 100 yards are interesting. Hits in the center go right through, more often than not. Hits around the edge though will usually break them.

Fresh, gooey "Peeps", the marshmallow candies sold around Easter are interesting to shoot at 100 yards.

I used to wonder why there were empty shotgun hulls all over the place at the pistol range - until I was shooting my .22 pistol one day.

When I was a kid with a BB-gun, plastic "Army Men" were a favorite target.

Again NECCO wafers should not be abused. They're delicious!! I would suggest poker chips or checkers. On the other hand PEEPS are an excellent choice. I'm going to be on the lookout for them at Easter close out prices. . Kill the PEEPS!!!

Hmmmm....
Lets see,

Skeet thrower
pDSP1-7214191p275w.jpg

+peeps

tumblr_m24w69wOOY1r83u41o1_500.jpg

I'm beginning to see possibilities here.

483280_520863794624123_81627602_n.jpg

Yikes! Maybe not!!!!

Last edited:
Hedge apples, though they don't explode like I had hoped.

While visiting a friend in CO, we made and shot snowballs, individually or in mini-snowman format.

Another friend had a poster printer. He would print posters of a full 54 card poker deck, and we would shoot competing poker hands. Other times he would print out dartboards, and we would shoot Cricket or 301.

Several of my Fraternity Brothers and I have taken to engaging the little plastic army men, tan ones only of course, at 100 yards with .22 rifles.

Quite the challenge.

Points awarded for making hits on important targets first.

Shotgun shells, as already mentioned, are a lot of fun. I tossed one into a indoor range and soon everyone had their .22s out chasing those things all the way to the back!

You can really make pinecone's dance, that are thrown up against a dirt backstop. Trick is: shoot just below the pinecone, so as to propell it in mid-air, and have you or your partner shoot it while it is still aerial.

Dremill drill the NECCO wafers, and hang buy a small wire.

Don't drill thru the old rubber band core golfballs or you'll jam the drill bit. Use a long-enough string to keep the golf ball in motion after a hit.

Pierce a tennis ball with a fishing hook with a leader attached to it, and hang with a long string.

Super glue paint balls to a string or target, or pierce one with a stand-up toothpick; stuck in cardboard.

Use stand-up 1.5 foot long thin steel flagwires you can buy at Home Depot. Loop one end of the wire to snugly fit a shotgun shell, and stand-up the wire on the backstop.

Last edited:
I save my dry non dairy coffee creamer cans. They are about the same size as a standing groundhog. Damn... I havent seen one of those in quite a while...

I used to go out to the Lytle Creek area outside of Los Angeles to shoot.
All kinds of junk was always out there, TVs, a billion shotgun shells, glass everywhere then it hit me. some shooters are slobs and just dumping crapola here in the National Forest...

fun targets

I have not tried this yet but, we use to cut a slit in a tennis ball and jam pack it full of strike anywhere match heads. You could throw it at a wall and they explode,im guessing shooting them would have the same effect!

I like to dump a full 20-round drum of 12 gauge from my Saiga-12 into a clump of cactus. It's awesome to watch the cactus explode and literally get cut down by the volume of fire. It's best right after it rains when they're full of water.

Back