Unique Calibers of Low Recoil

I too have a 257 Roberts in the form of a Ruger 77MK II.

Have been thinking about the 257 Kimber, 25 Souper, and the 25-284.

Recently picked up an Interarms Mauser in 270Win. Plan on re barreling it. Maybe I'll make a 7mm-284Win... :D

I have a 357 mag and 32 mag lever guns. They are both pleasant to shoot and I wouldn't have any problem shooting a deer at reasonable ranges with either one.

But I have this crazy idea for the perfect low recoil deer round. Take a 7-08 brass and neck it down to 243. I bet nobody has thought of that one before.

Most of my property is hunting with 150 yard maximum distances. A lot of the calibers mentioned are overkill for my needs.

Maybe not all that "unique" but a cartridge I'm getting to like an awful lot is the "old" 1892 7x57 Mauser. Factory ammo is weak due to too many old 1893 and 1895 rifles still fairly common. Winchester and Remington ammo is as scarce as hen's teeth but most larger LGS like Sportsman's Warehouse usuallyhave Federal brand. Sticking to the original 175 gr. load by Federal (2400 FPS you're close to theroiginal load that did 2300 FPS. I have three rifles in 7x57 and that load has been very accurate in all three rifles. Find Ruger #1 single shot rifle and use that 175 girl ;road or a reload that does 2300 FPS and you'll have a unique and very sporting set up. My Ruger #1 is the #11A and is quite accurate with everything I run though it. I love it for deer and with proper handholds have no qualms going after elk with it.
Paul B.

^^^I fixed it for you^^^ Take 7mm-08 brass and neck it down to .264...

WELL DUH!!! Carjunkie that ones already been done.:eek:

PaulB I have killed most of my deer with a 7x57 and the last few years a 7-08. Excellent rounds.

Well, after doing a lot of research and looking around, I think I've decided on the 7-30 Waters. Sounds like it's right up my alley and T/C is supposed to already make a factory rifle barrel in that chambering, so I wouldn't have to special order a barrel. But finding a factory T/C barrel in 7-30 might be a problem. Now to start counting my change! :D

I went with 7-30 Waters just recently (a 20", 1 in 9" twist, SS TC Contender barrel from SSK). It seems that Federal only makes an ammo run every couple years. So I ordered a couple of cases before I even ordered the barrel. Didn't want a barrel and no ammo (although I could form it from 30-30 brass).

Each group has been tighter that the previous with the last being 3/4" at 100 yd. I've only went through one box (20 rounds). I expect the barrel to settle in a little better with the factory ammo once I shoot more through it. My other SSK barrel (in .223 Rem) settled in to an 0.28" group (and I think I can do better) after 50 rounds through it. Once I've have enough empty brass, I'll start reloading and playing with the cartridge.

It's a really nice, low recoiling round and Federal 120 gr ammo should work well on deer and hogs within 250 yd (at least that's my plan). I might be willing to use reloads (with heavier bullets) on bigger stuff and just get closer.

Midway has loaded 7-30 ammo in stock if you do not want to make brass. Brass is usually hard to find for it. The good thing is you can reload the stuff 25 or more times due to the extremely low pressure the round operates at, thats assuming you load it to lever action specs.

Ruger Mark ll in 6.5 Creedmoor
Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor
Low recoil, hits like a 300 win mag.
Great caliber, but getting more and more popular. And with my hunting ranges at less than 160 yards, the Creedmoor wouldn't be using much of its potential.

I have gotten to where the "norm" doesn't excite me anymore. 308, 270, 7mm08, 30-06 are just plain boring and everyone and their brother has one. Show a buddy your deer rifle and odds are they or someone they know has the exact same gun in the exact same caliber. I own a few "common" calibers and love the 243 in particular, but I'm looking to add to my collection of "unique" rifles and calibers. Right now, I have a Ruger No. 1 RSI in 257 Roberts and that's about as unique as I can think of. I also have a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet.

I'm thinking about carrying the 22 Hornet this year for deer season for doe culling on my property. I'm thinking a head or neck only shot should do the trick on a doe.

But what are some other unique calibers that are low recoiling that I can start looking to add to my collection?
New .223/.25.

Or buy a suppressor and any caliber turns into a .22

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

If you like the Hornet, than the .218 Bee was it's competitor and is in the same league... All of these are termed as obsolete and rifles for them are no longer manufactured. I saw a Win model43 chambered for .218 Bee in a shop in PA while on vacation last week, with a $1200 price tag......wow!

I shot a lot of woodchucks as a kid with .218 Bee. It's a great round and handled like a dream in that old Model 65. I think factory ammo is still occasionally produced but with everything else available today, it might not be worth pursuing.

Last edited:
I have a 7-30 99 Savage and have used it on deer. I was using 140 grain flat point bullets from Hornady, but they dropped them from their line. The only other 7mm bullet that will probably fit is a 120 grain. I ran a bunch of Federal through just playing when I made the barrel, and believe that was 120 grain. Anybody ever use them on deer? I don't have to load to "Lever action specs", so a little hot is no problem.
You could always pick up a cheap Savage 340 on Gunbroker and rebarrel.

Back