Unique Calibers of Low Recoil

well you can always go obsolete. I've hunted with everything from a 8x56R Hungarian Mannlicher to a type 44 arisaka carbine in 6.5x50mm. I'll guarantee none of my hunting buddies have, or know anyone that hunts with those.

other less common for the task stuff I've used or family uses, is I've hunted elk with 6.5 grendel(I don't recommend it for everyone), my little brother got his elk last year with his open sighted canadian enfield, I've hunted deer with a 9mm carbine successfully... the list can go on and on.

How about the .22 Savage HiPower?
2009-4%20Foglesville%20.22%20Savage%20Hi-Power_zpsgsvm0oi1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

low recoil

My absolute favorite and most accurate "odd" deer round is the
7 x 30 Waters.

I fire it from a Contender with a 21-inch barrel using 130gr TTSX bullets.

Not sure if it could be made to work for deer but I have always thought the .17-223 was an interesting round. Probably not going to find factory amo anymore but not hard to reload for.

If you want something unique with low recoil, the high wall in 38-55 would be a good choice. Making reloads with black powder and cast bullets is quite fun, too. Brass is readily available and reasonably priced, and there's an awful lot of bullet moulds available for the caliber. I have an original Ballard, #4Perfection in 38-55, which is an absolute to joy to shoot using black and cast bullets. I would imagine factory ammo is also available; never had to look, though, as I roll my own. The 38-55 would be a perfect traditional cal. for whitetails, especially using traditional ammo.

www.gunbroker.com/item/578454327

If you can find one, Browning (Miroku) made a fine high wall in 38-55, but I believe it since has been discontinued, though still can be had with some hunting.

25-35,
A pretty little 24" Contender Carbine would be fun in this sweet old cartridge.
Nice useful bullet selection, plenty of 30-30 brass if you can't find the original.

Most will be surprised but 50 BMG in modern rifles has low felt recoil. The weight and highly efficient muzzle brakes gives it more of a push then a hard snap.

I like the 25-35 idea in a Thompson Contender G2 rifle, but the dang aftermarket barrels in that caliber are pricey. About as expensive as the whole gun. I was thinking a nice blued Contender with walnut stock with a short, handy barrel would very nice woods gun. And from everything I've read about the caliber so far, it seems to be highly regarded for new, younger shooters. Which might make it a good gun for me to use until my 1 year old gets big enough to start going with me. :)

And I also don't know how difficult it would be to form the brass from 30-30 brass. I've never formed brass before, so I'm not sure how the process would go.

BIL bought a lever gun in 25-35. Then he had hell finding ammo for it. When he did, it was $60/box of 20. He bought 5 boxes.

I bought a Marlin M1893 in 38-55. Winchester makes factory ammo for it. I bought the long brass from Starline and shoot a bullet that casts 255 gr with my alloy.There are lots of guns listed on GB in that caliber. You can load factory levels and they are very mild recoil wise.

If you have a good gun, you can bump it up quite a bit as well.

Barnes make their Originals for it in 2 diameters if you don't cast.

Only draw back is that there was not much of a standard diameter of bore with the older firearms. Mine slugged at 0.381", so I shoot a 0.382" bullet in it.

Superb accuracy when you get the right size bullets to go in them.

My best with it so far had been a beer can @ 175 yds on the second shot.

It will put 10 shots into 1.25" at 50 yds with iron sights. MV is approximately 1500 fps at a 10 shot average and an ES of 16 fps using IMR4198. See the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for load data.

My favorite low recoil deer cartridge is 7-30 Waters. If you want to make it somewhat "unique," have it chambered 7-30 Waters A.I. but then, you might as well have a 7-08.

I am partial to a lot of the older calibers that a lot of guys don't shoot anymore and I guy could build a pretty good collection of them. I shoot 25/20, 32/20, 38/40,44/40, 38/55,32/40 and on and on. I like all the old slash ( /) calibers and they can be quite unique...not to mention they can all be loaded with Unique as well. I have shot hogs with a lot of these calibers and deer with several of them as well. There is a lot of satisfaction in taking game with something that is basically "Old School".

Magtech/Sellier&Bellot 120gr sp 25-35/6.5mmx52mm.
Box of 20, $19.99+shipping on ammmoseek, plenty available. I have had great results with this ammo in my 10" scoped Contender.

Going off the reservation here (sorry- not PC...)

Think about an air rifle...

I've been really intrigued with some of these as of late in particular, esp after watching the Olympic comps.

Notwithstanding the target rifles- these aren't the Daisy or Crossman 760's some of us grew up with. Incredible range and power- .45 or .50 cal projectiles in the neighborhood of 1000 fps.

Capable of taking small game- and silent as it gets. Pretty interesting offerings these days.

Yeah, not really looking for an air rifle. Unique and low recoil, but I have a suppressed 22 and 22 Mag I can use for small game.

Back