• Yes

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 170 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok boys, strapped a holster to the backside of the head board. There is an opening in in the face of the board so I can reach and grab while in bed, but would take a conscious effort. Nearly as fast to draw I am sure. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Now time to price a security system!

No gun under the pillow. It stays on my nightstand. There's first the motion activated lights then the alarms on the doors and windows then after that there's the big barking dogs. If the intruder continues to proceed past the lights and alarms and gets past the dog I'll greet him/her at my bedroom door with my gun.

No. Tried it. Gun usually ended up underneath me and so I would wake with a rather painful imprint of a 1911 on me. I'll have to pass on that.

Are you guys for real? Someone might get in and get to the gun on the nightstand? Get a dog and lock your bedroom door at night. My guns right on the nightstand and many more is steps away, and I sleep real light.

If he could make it past the dog (doubtful), I would have already alerted to the commotion and armed myself. I think its important to always place the gun in the same spot so you have no problem finding it in the dark.

Sure Shot Mc Gee said:
Would a burglar climb up on someone's roof to cut two 120-volt 100-amps # 2 size entrance cables? Or pry open a telephone box mounted to the side of a house? Knowing maybe its owners are home? Most homes about to be burgled are observed hours or days in advance by the bad guys.....
You're making a lot of assumptions.

When I go to bed...

Doors are locked, yes, including the interior door to the garage. A lot of people overlook that door, thinking their garage door is sufficient. Think about this, with less than $200 worth of equipment and a little know-how, I can drive down just about any street in America and open well over half of the garage doors...

Self-designed and built security system is armed.

2 dogs, one is a 5lb Yorkshire Terrier that is scared of her own shadow and barks anytime there's anything/anybody within 50yds of our house. The other dog is a 95lb Doberman... He gets pretty ticked off when the Yorkie wakes him up from his naps, wouldn't want to be on the bad side of that mood at 2am... Or any other hour of the day for that matter.

1911, 2 mags, 200 lumen flashlight, and benchmade are on my "throw belt". It's an oversized nylon holster belt that I can throw over my head (across my chest) and go at a moment's notice. It hangs on my bedpost.

The Mossberg 930SPX is on my wife's side of the bed, between it and her nightstand. Don't mess with mama bear, the entrance to our bedroom is a small corridor of sorts, a perfect "fatal funnel" for anyone entering it...

With my back problems, I wake up in the middle of the night and wind up sleeping on the floor often... When that happens, I grab the throw belt and lay it on the floor next to me.

Under the pillow??? Not a chance...

From the US Navy Safety Center-

"B. A lance corporal was at home, in bed, in dreamland, which seems hunky-dory except for the fact that he was sleeping with a .40-cal. pistol under his pillow. To make matters even more iffy, it was loaded.

Not sure what sort of dreams he was having, but one of them eventually featured a loud “Ker-blammo!” and a searing pain in the palm of his hand.

I can’t think of anything more uncomfortable than a loaded weapon under my pillow, but maybe I’m just not security-conscious enough. And even if I did have one, I’d wake up every 15 minutes to make sure that safety was on."

That's what I'd worry I'd do too.

in jest

If you can't sleep with a gun in your hand (finger off the trigger), I would suggest a good holster for your kevlar reinforced pajamas.

Oh, you are going to want hearing protection as well. The pillow between the muzzle and your ear isn't doing to do much to dampen the noise you experience.

For me no way. I am prone to sleep walk.

Kind of interesting that there's even a discussion about having a loaded weapon under a pillow where it could be gripped and fired if one is having the "right" kind of dream that involves a firearm.

No sleepwalking required for that kind of accident.

NO gun under the pillow. Don't know about all of you, but there's no telling where my pillow (or gun) is going to end up while sleeping.

And yet, some act as though it's a simple matter of just reaching under the pillow and grabbing their gun in an emergency, as if it's still going to be right there exactly the way they left it. I'm not a sleep expert, but if you sleep that soundly, you wouldn't hear Bubba in the middle of the night, anyway. :cool:

More likely you'll be grabbing around trying to find it and the chances of it being positioned for a quick grip are rather iffy

Gun on the night stand, or secured to the side of the bed, or on the far side floor will be right where you left it.:cool:

Last edited:
Yes

Glock 17 gen3 RTF with the Streamlight TLR-1.

The rough texture of the frame keeps the gun right where I left it. The magazine is loaded, but the chamber is not. If someone makes it through everything else to get into my room, I'll not arm them with a gun lying in the open on my nightstand.

If they are close enough that I cannot run a round into the chamber, then they are close enough to loose some teeth to my Glock striking tool. If I am not awake enough to run a round into the chamber, then I do not need to be shooting anyway.

It has worked for me for years, and the flat profile of the glock is far more comfortable to sleep on than the 92fs that used to pull this duty. Ymmv.

get a dog

I think you need a dog. Even a little yapper will do the job. You need to be awake with your gun in your hand before the bad guy walks into your bedroom. a dog will ensure that happens.

You are putting yourself and your family in more danger by keeping a loaded firearm under your pillow than by not even having a gun at all

While I am not in favor of having a gun under my pillow, I read here that there are those who do. For those who do, and have had, or fear, the gun falling to the floor during sleep may I suggest the use of one of those "sticky IWB holsters". At least the gun should stay where you put it. Nothing can prevent a negligent discharge, but at least the gun is where you can get to it.
I like the custom made compartment under the night stand, but I am not much on building. I did find that there are several "under the desk" type holsters that intrigue me. I have no dogs. my kids are grown as are my grandkids, so child safety is not an issue. I am, however giving the under desk (nightstand) holster a lot of consideration. Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back