Votes: 13 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 170 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

baddarryl

I was talking to a guy yesterday that was shot by his own gun because the perp spotted his on the nightstand. During the struggle to keep the muzzle away from his chest my buddy took one to the hand. Perp then ran and got away. This got me thinking, if someone walked in my room with even a little light the first thing they would see would be a gun on the nightstand. Now I wouldn't suggest this with anything other than a revolver hammer down or maybe a DA/SA auto for obvious reasons, but my question is how many of you do this and is it reasonably safe enough? I think so, but would be nice to hear what you think too.

I toss and turn too much and besides my wife is in bed with me and most nights my 18 month old as well. I used to keep mine on the nightstand, but not in the open, it was on a shelf and tucked inside a drawstring bag (the blue felt one that come with Springfield pistols). Recently I acquired a M3 shoulder holster so my "nightstand gun" is kept in it and hung on a clothing rack on the back of my master bath door with a jacket hanging over it. It is completely hidden but is one step from my bed. It is also is handy when I need to go walk my property or if I hear anything outside that needs investigation. I just grab the M3 and put it over my head and shoulder and head out.

On the bed rail,,,

I bought a used El-Cheapo nylon holster,,,
An Uncle Mike make if I remember correctly.

I screwed it to the rail of my bed,,,
I placed it at an optimal angle for me to draw from a reclining position.

It never occurred to me that an intruder would spot it,,,
I just felt this was better for me to get to it quickly.

I simply lay down on my bed and dropped my hand to the rail,,,
Then I experimented a bit with the angle of the holster,,,
I can find and draw my bed-gun very quickly.

Were an intruder to come in my bedroom,,,
He would see me cowering underneath my blanket,,,
When in reality I am reaching for my conveniently placed revolver.

And my bed spread hides it effectively during the day.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond

Last edited:
I've always thought about what happened to your friend; it's always seemed possible, and the fact that it happened to him proves it. Hence, no nightstand storage for me. I keep my Ruger P-90, safety on, in it's IWB holster, under the pillow. Being in the holster keeps the trigger covered, and forcing me to wake up that much more to get it out of same. Why do I keep my .45 under my pillow? Because my Mini 14 is much too big!;)

call me paranoid, but that just seems like a terrible idea.

I keep mine not ON the night stand, but easily accessible down low.

I pocket carry, at night I just hang my pants on the bed post. It's within reach if I need it, and no change of someone else getting it without climbing over me.

I have read, I forgot who, some one mentioning putting their boots at the bed within reach by just dropping your arm off the bed, and placing you gun in the boots.

That would be quick and safe, and that's probably what I would do if I didn't go the pocket carry route.

What happened to your friend could be called a successful outcome to a passable deadly encounter.
I wouldn't sleep with anything under my pillow.
I am up and out the door in under 1 min. at all hours hundreds of times a year and know just where my weapon is without pausing. I usually hear the 1 min. beep from my pager after I am in the truck at night and any time I hear it while still inside the house i know I an dragging my posterior. ;)

safety sallies

who cares where you put it. if you need to scare an intruder from your chambers by letting him see your gatt on the nightstand?? you might as well be in a shelter.
no one mentioned a decoy on the nightstand, I wonder why. Not contrary enough?

I live in a state where you cannot carry at all, and now thinks the gangbusters in chicago can make the huge farming state of Illinois title and fee all handguns, yet this is not the news of the day is it?
South Carolina wants to make anything over 6 rounds a felony.
Wyoming wants an aircraft carrier.

I just want to go to the grocery and not get jacked up, who cares where I keep my 1911? The guy who wants me to pay him for the pleasure of owning a tool. How much for a hammer?

bump in the night hit the dirt.

I feel if the perp gets to my bedroom and can see my gun lying on a nightstand . I have failed miserably at home security. My Jack Russell would be fired and have to sleep outside.

No way I keep mine in arms reach and I am a very light sleeper so is my Dog and he is a lot faster than me. He would be on the perp way before he could enter my bedroom.

Last edited:
No. Install motion activated lights at the back of of your house (or wherever is necessary in your situation). Have some sort of alarm on the (deadbolted) doors. Keep your weapon handy, but out of sight (under the edge of the bed). If someone does enter the house with bad intentions after all these precautions, I'll be wanting to know as early as possible.

Keep mine in the nightstand while I sleep. I have 3 dogs and they bark at everything, I would know someone was breaking in to my house before they would.

Just keep your bedroom door locked and you should be just fine with your pistol on the night stand. I keep mine on my night stand inside of a small lock-box that is open. Otherwise, I would use one of these:
400_bedside.png

Yep, if someone was able to gain access to the bedroom, I really would have failed. Even then, the pistol is hidden from view inside a simple wood shelf which holds a CPAP machine. I would not put a pistol under my pillow.

False Security

If you insist on wearing your gun in the shower and also during sex, then no amount of practical advice can help you. For the rest of you, always keep handguns beyond arm's reach when sleeping. You need that few seconds to shake loose the cobwebs so that you are sufficiently awake so as not to shoot a loved one.

That "bed holster" that hangs off the side of your bed is a gimmick playing on your fears and is designed to make somebody money, not keep you safe. Likewise, if an intruder manages to get to you while you're asleep, he then has your gun.

Instead, try to use some smarts: keep the gun concealed but accessible and beyond reach. Consider putting a decoy gun such as a realistic fake in your nightstand drawer. If an intruder finds it, he'll assume he has the upper hand. Even if he immediately realizes it's a fake, he'll assume you planned to use it to scare off an intruder and you probably don't have a real gun.

We take great pains to select the "best" gun shooting the "best of the best" ammunition. Anybody here want to risk being shot with their own gun?

A "decoy gun", really ? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want a firearm in plain sight on a night stand, or somewhere in the bed (or maybe on the floor, who knows). A firearm should be in a holster, in the same location, every time. You don't want to be fumbling around looking for it, or trying to establish a proper shooting grip underneath a pillow.

Your first line of defense should be perimeter security.

I move around way too much in my sleep, I would be worried not only about causing the gun to discharge but also about the gun falling off the side of the bed(not where I need it to be!). Keep it on the night stand or if you are REALLY that worried, wear a holster to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back