Ugly Lever Action

Hard times for some of us older guys, diesels at the drag strip, lots and lots of plastic framed pistols, tactical lever gun, most scopes are matte finished and you can't buy a new model 19 Smith or a reasonably priced regular model 94 Win. Memories!

Oh come on Guv, my newest rifle is 35 years old. That's new in gun years. Just go to a gun show and you will find what you want. When you find it hang on to it, cause it will out live you. I think it's hard times for younger guys that can't appreciate walnut.

Or you could defend yourself from an infiltrating gang just as easy with a Henry
--coyota1

That was pretty much my point. Not only is this rifle FUGLY to the extreme, but there is nearly no reason I can think of for it. If you want a lever action, a regular Marlin or Winchester etc will do everything this could reasonably do with a little practice and buying the right rifle to fit your needs. If you want a black plastic tactical rifle, the common suspects will serve you just as well as a levergun.

It is butt-ugly. But, what do I know? I thought the M-16 was ugly. Glock too for that matter.
Now, I carry Glocks, and I'm getting used to the AR's. Only took 20+ years for them to start growing on me.

Now, a M1-A, formerly the M-14 is a beauty and that will never change. Same for my Mini-14.

Coyote1,
I agree with you, I have some gun mags from the 60's and what a collection of beautiful guns! Quite a few I wish I still had!

Gun Fashion Cops?

No doubt this rifle is designed for people who play harder than old pharts. I mean, do you take your barbecue gun hawgin'? I doubt it. Runnin' and gunnin' with a .30-.30 sounds like deer season to me. Black guns are for people who need it as a gun, not a work of art. Black guns are for those who are focused on the pursuit, not on the esthetic appeal of what's filling their hand. Are you a hunter or a fashion model? All the tacticool bashers love to call anyone with a black gun a mall ninja. Here's one from the other side.
You guys with the grain and lacquer, are you hunters or posers? Is it like Robin Williams said, "When I go into the woods, I like to make a statement!"

Strafer Gott, you are bashing guys that have more experience than you, show some respect. If you need a "black gun" so you don't risk breaking it, then you need to rethink your methods. If you think there is no art to how a gun is made or designed, then you have the taste of a lizard.

What's a barbecue gun any how? Most stuff I cook is dead already! Everything I hunt with is walnuted and blued. Not to say something else won't do the job. It is possible to use them and take care of them.

I have a ramline stock on my 336, and it doesn't bother me. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the m4 style stock.

I guess adjustable length of pull could be nice, but since I"m the only one that shoots my guns it's never been an issue.

As far as why someone would want a tactical lever gun I do get it.
Lever guns are very reliable, simple, and easy to maintain. Same goes for plastic stocks and painted hardware. If I were going to have a gun for the post apocalyptic wasteland that might be it.

Experience with black guns is something I gained many years ago, along with quite a few others on this board. It's best not to talk experience or the lack there of with people you don't know. Thank you, have a nice day.

Your friends will argue with you, even about guns. If I allow others to change my opinions with their arguments, is turnabout not fair play.
Out of fairness, I bought a glock. Out of fairness, I bought a mini 14, even though I swore I wouldn't after my first experience. So yes, I guess I do lack a certain politesse, courtesy, and taste. Are you going to lay my soul to waste?
HaHa.

alright I am neither for or against the gun discussed

but I feel obligated to respond to this post.

No doubt this rifle is designed for people who play harder than old pharts.
what exactly do you mean by this? if you mean that it is a toy with little practical application other than blasting paper bad guys into oblivion then yes it is better at play.

I mean, do you take your barbecue gun hawgin'?
What in God's green earth is a barbecue gun? I have never heard of one of these?
Runnin' and gunnin' with a .30-.30 sounds like deer season to me.
I don't know exactly where you are from but please remind me to never go there during open season. running and gunning is a video game fantasy. running and gunning is retarded for lack of a better word. nobody in the history of firearms has ever "runned and gunned" advancing fire is totally different and is still considered to be far less accurate than feet planted no matter what the "Marines" on COD Blackops II tell you over a quick game of team deathmatch. running and gunning has no place in proper hunting and anyone that has ever tried it should have their hunting privileges revoked for a couple years and forced to take remedial hunters ed.

Black guns are for people who need it as a gun, not a work of art. Black guns are for those who are focused on the pursuit, not on the esthetic appeal of what's filling their hand.
on the contrary, black guns are an aesthetic pursuit all in themselves. a guy choosing to put a railed synthetic black stock on an SKS is no less guilty of aesthetically altering a gun to fit his tastes as a man that dresses his SKS in a laminated thumbhole stock. he is simply altering the gun to meet his needs and dislikes. I have never put a part on a gun that I did not like the look of to increase utility and I find it hard to believe that there are many gun enthuisiasts out there that would.
Are you a hunter or a fashion model? All the tacticool bashers love to call anyone with a black gun a mall ninja.

I label lots of people as mall ninjas because there 90% of the guys that insist on "tactical" firearms have never and have a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of ever being in a situation that requires such a weapon and of them I would be willing to wager that less than 1% of those that will see such a scenario will have that tactical weapon with them at the time. it's all well and good to have a gun to fit such a scenario but when every gun you own has an M4 stock and rails including your lever action 30-30 and mosin nagant 91/30 then there is a serious problem with how you see the world you live in and if all of those also have a laser, flashlight, holosight(rendering the laer pointless) and forward pistol grip then you really have a problem with how you face reality.

and finally,
You guys with the grain and lacquer, are you hunters or posers?
what exactly is the proper response to this? I don't know how someone that claims that they run and gun while out deer hunting can call the guys that prefer one well placed shot a poser or insist that their method of hunting is any more genuine or ethical than our own.

with all that said I do think that the lever action needed to be updated to compete with more modern designs. however when mossberg went with no top rail(for tactical optics if you will) and a a telescoping stock rather than skeleton side folder or just skeleton synthetic to cut down on weight, they failed to make a rifle with any more utilitarian purpose than it's walnut clad older brother.

and lastly, I would like to point out that there is no such thing as a tactical rifle. tactics is a mindset, not a tool set. I can tactically wipe my @$$ but there is no such thing as tactical toilet paper(and if anyone brings up CMMG or camo TP I will Lose it).

^^^^ Thank you tahunua001! Seems like the people who accuse others of intolerance and being of narrow mind are the worst offenders in this regard.

There is no such thing as a tactical firearm, but there are black guns. Black toilet paper i can't speak to.
Retarded means slowed down. Only Ann Coulter uses it in any other sense.
To save time and effort, barbecue guns are esthetically enhanced guns or rigs worn to barbecues. Careful with the ridicule on this one as barbecue guns are near and dear to many in this community.
I know that some people have never experienced a really hard hunt, like hawgs with dawgs fifteen minutes before dawn, with nothing to climb but an old two wire fence to get out of reach of those tusks It's a little different than european style stand hunting while wearing a suit.
Play is sport. There are only two, hunting and mountain climbing. Used as a figure of speech, in this case some people hunt harder than olde pharts.
How many times can tactical be used in the same instance as making your toilet, I guess you have taken the popularization of this phrase as a personal goal. Isn't a cathole latrine a tactic after all.

Hmmm, seems like a ligit hunting firearm to me. Nothing to scratch, no reflective surfaces, but a perfect tool to put deer on the table.

You can be a romantic, but it looks like the right tool for the right job. To me it's about the functionality and the caliber. the .30-30 has put more deer on the kitchen table than any other round, and lever action rifles make great deer guns.

Back