Ugly Lever Action

None of that tactical stuff blows my dress up very high. AR, AK, FN, 870's dolled up, Mossbergs dolled up. All the same to me. Ugly, black and best suited for the military or the police. Which, thank the Good Lord, now I am neither.

Ugly yes but how does it shoot?

The same thing was said about laminated stocks and later the early fiberglass stocks which morphed into our modern stocks and are standard fare now.

I don't care for its appearance, but it appears to be potentially a very functional and durable gun for a survival situation.

Will I buy one no.

I think they got the clambering wrong. If its meant to be a tactical rifle while 30-30? 44mag or some other short stroke cartridge. 30/30 is not exactly a long cartridge but what problem are solving with it that the shorter 44 mag wouldn't solve. It's not meant to win a beauty contest, plenty of people use levers as home defense guns, they are fine for that but if you are building specifically to that market, do it right. More rounds, shorter stroke, less recoil, faster follow ups.

I think they got the clambering wrong. If its meant to be a tactical rifle while 30-30?

it's tube magazine fed. there aren't a whole lot of options available in such a design and 30-30 has almost identical ballistics characteristics as the 7.62x39mm, a cartridge that has been used in 3 of the worlds most popular military arms families in the world. the SKS, AK47, and VZ58(though not nearly as widespread as the others). why wouldn't they use such a cartridge?

now if they would have updated to a box mag then they would have been able to offer in more popular calibers for the mall ninja crowd like 5.56, 308, or 6.8SPC. however they stuck with classic. the only real difference between this gun and any other "less ugly" lever action is the stock.

I have seen people try to make a tactical gun out of lever actions and I have seen threads based on that, but I brought it up because it was featured in this month's American Rifleman and I haven't seen a company offer one like that before.
Are you suggesting that the Editors of a major publication have been living under a rock too? Because they seem to think its worth talking about.

I don't know about a rock, but that mossberg has been posted several times and is not a brand new product. It has been around at least a year or so. Also fun magazines do stories like this as to satisfy their advertisers. American Rifleman did this story to satisfy Mossberg

I like it and I am a lever action fan. I care way more about how it functions and shoots than how it looks.

If it runs and shoots well I dont care if its painted pink with hello kitty painted on it.

Last edited:
I'm with boattale, I'm not into tactical anything. There's no room in my collection for an ugly gun so this one will stay right at the LGS. Doesn't bother me that Mossberg is building them and I hope they sell a bunch, more gun owners is always a good thing for us and if that rifle is what it takes to get someone interested in shooting then so be it. Personally I wouldn't have one as a gift but I'm sure someone out there likes them.

Stu

Never underestimate the desire some people have to buy black "tactical" crap, especially if it has a collapsible stock and a rail for bolt on pieces of schmidt.

Utility is wonderful.

Seriously guys, are we getting cranky and old or what? It's a lever gun, and if that's what it takes to get to the future, I'm all for it. If guns stopped morphing, where would we be? These guns don't have to be just tools, but when they are, their beauty is in their utility. Something like this can roll in the mud, slide down the mountain, jump the barb wire, shoot the pig, get thrown in the back of the truck, and ride home with the hunting dogs without loosing even a modicum of esthetic appeal. This rifle probably looks better with mud and scratches. That's the kind of beauty that goes deeper than skin.
By the way, there's still wood on this rifle. It's on the fore end, under the black paint and tacked on rails.

Saw this in the recent American Rifleman.

While a touch horrifying to traditionalists (I agree), I'm sure there's a market for it;)

Seriously guys, are we getting cranky and old or what? It's a lever gun, and if that's what it takes to get to the future, I'm all for it. If guns stopped morphing, where would we be?

If guns stopped morphing, we'd be in a better place. Truth is, they haven't changed much since their conception. Mechanically the lever gun hasn't made any real mile stone changes for well over 100 years. They can make plastic stocks for almost nothing, and then market them as being superior to wood.

Depends on what you consider part of the lever action, and milestone changes. I think the leverrevolution ammunition isn't anything to scoff at.

Well I do kind of consider myself a "traditionalist" with firearms. I only own one semi-auto action right now and it's a 22 rifle with wood stock (the rest are DA revolvers and a Mosin 91/30, although I am getting an sks soon, which is still not "cutting edge" by any stretch of the imagination).

I had heard of this before but forgot exactly what it looks like. I closed the page from the link in the OP almost as soon as it finished loading. I do understand the uses for more tactical and "modern" rifles even though I prefer more vintage styles, but I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to do this to a perfectly good lever action. The draws of the lever action today are the ease of use, durability of action, and TRADITIONAL STYLING. If you want something tactical with lights, lasers, and and maybe a grenade launcher for the apocalypse, or a gang trying to infiltrate your house, or whatever, just get a modern tactical rifle like AR, AK, SCAR, etc. NOT a "tactical" lever action with an ugly synthetic telescoping stock.

Obviously just my very strong opinion (and BTW I am only 25, not old. Although maybe a cranky;))

Tahunua001, there are 44mag levers, tube feed or not 44mag would work better IMO. It's a self defense gun, why are you comparing it military weapons?

If you want something tactical with lights, lasers, and and maybe a grenade launcher for the apocalypse, or a gang trying to infiltrate your house, or whatever, just get a modern tactical rifle like AR, AK, SCAR, etc. NOT a "tactical" lever action with an ugly synthetic telescoping stock

Or you could defend yourself from an infiltrating gang just as easy with a Henry.:D

Ok I looked at that abomination a couple more times and had a night to sleep on it. It's still so ugly that even my Mother In Law looks good. However, I think about my non-gun person wife, who is very short and a concept starts percolating in my head. Wrong caliber, but change it to .357 or .44 Magnum and it starts to make real sense a a HD gun for her. Adjust the stock to the right length of pull. Start her out on .38 or.44 special rounds. Nearly no recoil, very little muzzle blast. A cocking mechanism thats easy to learn to shoot while keeping the gun at your shoulder and the sights on the target. Fit it with a laser for low light, and I'd be happy(shudder)to have the monstrosity around. In the Car business this concept is known as "there's a butt for every seat", meaning, no matter how weird the car, someone out there is bound to like it.

On some levels, I think this rifle could make sense. I've been looking at lever action carbines in 357, 44 or 45 Colt for a while. The options for a new lever action in those calibers appear to be either a Rossi (which appears to be hit or miss for quality control), a Marlin (same story), or an expensive Japanese or Italian made clone of an 1892, 1873 or 1866 Winchester (and I don't want to spend that much on a working rifle).

Yes, it looks like a mall ninja's dream, and that is NOT my thing. But as far as I know, it's the only option for a new 30-30 carbine with a 16" barrel (which is my second choice if I can't find a pistol caliber lever carbine that I think will be reliable).

For me and what I want (reliable, rugged, easy to store lever action carbine with a 16" barrel), I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat if it was in a pistol caliber. I'm still considering one in 30-30. I'd definitely get one if a replacement fixed stock was available.

Back