Typical # of guns you'd bring to the range for a 1-2 hour trip

4 to 6 a mixture of handgun and rifle. The range I go to is 40 miles each way, and since I hate to get there and find the one I was planning to use occupied, I started taking both, and get to shoot one place or the other. 99% of the time I can shoot at one or the other with maybe 1 other person.

ILBM

I'm lucky enough to live on post in Fort Sill, where the free rifle range (and free targets!) is within 5 minutes of where I work. So the 1-2 hour's I receive for lunch, well thats shooting time for me. Normally I bring 4 guns, but only shoot 2. I leave 2 in the truck, and bring 2 to the line. If I don't need to adjust on the first two, I bring the other two out...unless I want to collect other peoples brass, by their permission of course.

I only have 2 firearms, a handgun and rifle, so I bring them both. Plus the public range I patronize is a little over 2 hours round trip, I might as well bring both and shoot for a good 2-3 hours. I usually shoot the handgun first, then take a break and shoot my rifle.

When I get my shotgun, Ill probably still shoot both but bring the shotgun every few range days.

Always my 22 S&W M41 and Colt 1911A1 NM 45 pistol, anything else is optional depending on whether I am in a long gun or short gun mode that day.

More than 3 guns just gets cumbersome and I stopped doing it. Usually. Sometimes. Mostly. Well anyway I try to not bring more than 3 guns but its like not eating to much at an all you can eat serve yourself buffet.

No Less than 2.

Usually its my Ruger .22 pistol, or my Marlin .22 Rifle with a scope.

Then I add the large caliber handguns, at least one 9mm, maybe two.

Just like you, when my friends go with me I pack heavy, up to 4 handguns, and up to 3 or 4 rifles.

Probably 75% of the time, one.
The other 23%, two.
2% of the time, more than two.

On average I shoot less than 50 rounds and stay for less than an hour.

The exception to the one gun/50 rounds thing is that I occasionally go out to a place where a lot of losers dump stuff. I will take a couple .22s and run through 500 rounds of .22LR.

frequency beats lengthy

first i would like to point out that a focused practice lasting 15 minutes can be better training than screwing around for two hours.

Second, my instructor always preached that 200-300 rounds was pushing it for a succesful day at the range. anymore and you are probably practicing bad form at that point.

So it depends on my goal. For my personal self defense practice i keep it short, as long as it takes me to blast 50-100 rounds, then call it a day. some days are better than others, but thats expected. you wont see me in there for 1-2 hours though.

If I am going for a day at the range with friends or family, then you bring everyone gun you can get your hands on, you don't worry about a strict regimented practice routine, and just have some fun shooting with your buddies. Sometimes these visits have lasted far past 1-2 hours, upwards of four hours even. after that many rounds and that much shooting whether you want to admit it or not your hands are fatigued and your shooting is impaired. doens't mean it isn't fun though! just don't confuse that with serious practice.

I have the good fortune of living next to not one, not two, but like six different shooting ranges. odd considering how screwed up CA laws are regarding guns, but i feel fortunate none the less.

Typically my long playful visits are at the outdoor ranges cause you can go from handgun to rifle to shotty to rifle to shotty to different handgun to whatever you want next! it's very satisfying.

my personal defense practice is usually just a handgun at the indoor range by myself. quick and frequent is the key.

how many firefights have you heard of that lasted 1-2 and a single individual shot over 300 rounds? besides the famous bank of america hold up in North Hollywood, CA quite a few years back, it doens't happen often. most encounters (that you hopefully don't ever find yourself in) you might empty your mag. hopefully we all just get to practice and never have to use these skills.

I guess i look at things from a defense enthusiast perspective. I don't fancy myself a target shooter by any means, although i do like to hit the target :)

Guns to the range?

I usually bring at least 5-6 guns with me on each visit and plenty of ammo too. Can't help myself as I feel I have to shoot as many as possible to warrant keeping all of them in my safe....

I personally bring a LOT... 41 blk hwk, 44 blk hwk, 22 lr, 22 lr with scope, 22 lf pistol, 22 std single shot, 300 win mag, 6.5-06, 30-06, 30-30 and my Pardner 12 gauge....
My nephew brings a good dozen (7 side arms of various make and model, adn a few rifles...)... Or whatever we can find ammo for at any given point in that week....

Usually 2-3, I usually pack a .22 of some description as well as a centrefire that I want to practice with and quite often something else I want to try / tinker with or shoot in.

I typically bring whatever I have an abundance of ammo for, which is usually the gun I feel like shooting, and my SKS. Sometimes I have so much fun with the no.1 gun I forget about my SKS....

Yeah...

Three. The most convenient range is the county range and that's the limit.

Usually two rifles and a pistol. And almost always that pistol is NOT my primary defense pistol.

That's because the county range has some absurd rules. Three gun max, one shot every 5 seconds, no rapid fire, no human shaped targets, ie BG's, ect.. When I go to the local private range that's when I bring my primary pistol. And then only my primary as I want focus on proficiency more than engage in a casual target shoot.

range

I usually take 4 to 5 when I go I take my 300winmag my 22with scope 12guage do a lil skeet shooting and my ruger 9mm and my 45tauras and that is all I take

usually take my .270 and my SKS . Once in awhile I'll bring the Mosin. I always bring my Taurus pt 101 and my taurus pt 709, .40 and 9mm and my ruger single six. Getting an AK-47 Today so now I got another to bring.:)

range guns

kahr pm 9. 100 rds, draw from concealment, doubletap at yard increments to 25 yards.
glock 19. same drill.
glock 17. 100 rds defense drill, range lights off.
glock 20. 100 rds assault drill.
s&w 686plus 50 rds 25 yds.
s&w trrs 50 rds 25 yds.
308 ap4 60 rds 25 - 200 yds.
mossberg 500 24 rds 5 - 20 yds.
every sunday noon - 3pm.
strip, clean, lube, 3:30pm - 5pm.
running this protocol with my son since he was 7 years old, he's 19 now. good bonding time, taught him our family's version of gun control.

#

Went today. Had a 90 minute stint before I had to go home and get ready to travel.
One gun - a Lyman GPR.
That was all that I had time for.
Pete

Back