Typical # of guns you'd bring to the range for a 1-2 hour trip

Outdoor and Indoor lists

Outdoor: Usualy my Milsurps 2-3 rifles, 2-3 pistolsand about 50 rounds for each.

k-31
M48 Mauser
M44 Mosin
Garand
1870/15 6.5 Vetterli
Type 38 or 99 Arisaka

Nagent Rev
.45 1911A1
A .22 of some type

Indoor: Usually pistols and/or shotguns 2-3 pistols with 100 rounds each and 1 shotgun with 15 - 25 rounds each.

Para Nite Hog
Para Expert 1911
S&W Mod 10 Bull Barrel
12 or 20ga shotgun of some sorts

When I go to Knob Creek MG/Sub shoots: 2-3 subs or SF Rifles 700 rounds of ammo each. Although I gave up my firing line position for next year.

M2 Carbine
1928 Thompson
BAR
M4
American 180 .22lr

Regards
The Happy and Blessed Gringo

For a short session like that I would normally take a couple of primary firearms with a couple of others just in case I have time.

I usually shoot the AR15 and G23 at every session. Then I would probably have one .22LR rifle or pistol, plus one of some other gun like an M1 Garand, hunting rifle, or a shotgun, or another handgun like a revolver or 1911.

At the last family shootfest, which lasted most of a day, it took me a full week to clean all the firearms and re-organize ammo supplies.

#

I always have a pistol of some sort on my person. So that's one.
I'll take one other gun - rifle or pistol. If it's a rifle, probably 40 rounds will do. A pistol may require 50-75 rounds.
Pete

One .22LR:
--either a Ruger MkII if I'm shooting semi-autos, or
--an S&W M-18 if I'm shooting revolvers

One other:
--in semi-autos, may or may not be my daily carry gun, One way or another, it will likely be a 1911.
--in revolvers, may be one of several calibers. One way or another, it will be a minimum of .357 Mag.

Hank, I feel your pain. I am diligent about cleaning after each trip, whether I've shot 300 rounds or 50 rounds, I clean 'em. That's probably what is key to why I don't bring the whole pile each time.

Here on central Kalifornia coast, I'm about a 1 hr. and 15-30 minutes drive (one-way) from an indoor pistol range. So, when I pack my bag, I usually will take about four pistols, just in case I should get a hankering to shoot a .22 instead of my .45, or 9mm, or, well, you know.... I've both concealed carry pistols, like my Keltec P-11 or J Frame S&W, or full sized, like a 1911A1 or Browning Hi-power, etc. But then, sometimes it's just for a quarterly qualification, and only two pistols might go-the "main" gun and the BUG. I do like variety sometimes, but as somebody noted, cleaning all those guns.... :rolleyes:not nearly as much fun as shooting them!

I started using the Bore Snake after the last big shooting session. It seems like a good way to quickly swab the bores of the rifles at the range until I can get to them for field strip and thorough cleaning.

Still, for short sessions 2-3 firearms are plenty to clean up afterward.

Depends on the mission:

working up a load for a rifle or pistol- just the gun and the test ammo;

sighting in a rifle or handgun- just it and enough ammo to get it done;

just playing around 'cause I haven't been to the range in a while- 2 or 3 .22's and whatever center fire I have lots of ammo for, and maybe one of my heavy hitters, just for the noise and how far the pop cans fly;

if I'm all tensed up and need to relax- one of my flintlocks, because shooting a flint-ignited gun is a study in slow-and-patient, and is very relaxing;

if I'm training a new shooter or showing someone who is interested in shooting but doesn't know anything about it and would like to see what shooting and guns are all about- a .22 rifle (my Ruger 10/22 most often) and/or my M1 carbine, because it's easy to shoot and has more bark and bite than a .22, but hardly any greater recoil and is pretty accurate with its peepsight. And maybe my S&W K-22 because it has a very smooth trigger and isn't unsafe in the hands of a rank novice like an automatic would be unless it's single loaded each shot, which is too much distraction;

I've never taken more than 3 or 4 of my guns at the same time because that would be "overload" for me, like eating 3 steaks at one dinner.

At least 2. Usually 2 revolvers and a semiauto. And a few hundred rounds of ammo. And sometimes a rifle. I don't always shoot all of them.

My biggest problem is trying to find the discipline to limit myself to an hour or two at the range. Generally, I go with a theme in mind. Once a year it's the celebratory shoot with the family legacy rifles: 1) 1955 Win M70 Featherweight (.308); Dad's Christmas present that year from Mom now in my custody; 2) 1948 Win Model 47; my big Christmas present that year; 3) two Win Models 63 and a Win 61 from Dad's days when he was Winchester's man in Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas ('48-'52). At least once a month is rimfire rifle session, mainly with one or more of 3 Rem 597s, a Henry Target model lever, a Win 290 and a Savage "Mako." Pistol sessions involve warmup with some .22s (one of 2 Sig Mosquitos, Ruger MkII 22/45, Ruger Single Six or Bearcat), then move on to centerfire 9s (Sig P6 or P228, Glock 19) or .40 (Sig P229). Pistol sessions always include practice with skill drills (weak hand, kneeling from cover, reloading, shooting in motion if no one else is at the range, etc.). Typically, I pack a lunch and plenty of fluids and "go with the flow." The kids are long grown and gone; I've been a widower for almost 19 years, business is slow lately. And with all the time required to clean them afterward, the sport keeps me off the streets and out of the bars.

At least two but no more than 3. Always have my Mark III 22/45, depending on where i'm shooting i'll take the SKS or 10/22 for plinking, 12 gauge if we have some clay targets or if were at a 100 - 300 yard range i'll take the M700.

I usually clean my rifles right afterwards but have been known to slack on the .22's and the SKS from time to time. Its easy not to care that much when the rifle always goes boom even if dirty.

I might take 3-4 .. always my .22 and usually at least one of my carry guns (Smith 637, Kahr PM9 or Kimber UCII). Then I add my favorite, my Smith 686+, and perhaps my nightstand gun, a Springer Loaded .45. I take at least 50 rds for the smaller guns, 100 for the bigger ones and 200 or so for the .22. that keeps me busy for 2-3 hours, a usual range session ...

usally 2 1911's ,a j frame and a 357...but sometimes more but that is usally done outside...I only shoot pistols indoors...need some room to get the long guns out:D

I am a variety guy. :) Usually the evil black rifle, the evil russian rifle, usually two handguns, and a couple of shotguns to wrap up with 25 clays.

Back