Typical # of guns you'd bring to the range for a 1-2 hour trip

jg0001

See topic.

I usually bring 2-3 guns pretty much every time (with my 22LR pistol or rifle in there every time). When I bring out a guest I may take that # up to 4 or 5. This is for a 60-90 minute indoor session, fwiw, and I only make it to the range 1-2x a month.

When I go alone, there have been occasions where I put on a left & right holster as I'd prefer to holster the gun(s) I'm not using rather than recase them or leave them teetering on the thin (?8" deep?) tray in each lane. Yeah, I might get some looks doing that, especially if I then use a 3rd gun entirely, but I prefer to keep my weaponry securely on my person rather than lying about.

I see a lot of "one gun" people and wonder if they think I'm some kind of nut.

Last edited:
Most times only 1 gun with 300 or so rounds with usually 6 different recipes of loads(50 of each). Usually 1 hour does it for me.

I'm with you. I typically bring 2-3 with me, and I never really bring anyone but my wife who only wants to shoot her SIG 226.

I should probably be going with just one. I do think it would be more beneficial to my skill level in the long run.

But then I just some of the other little beauties poking their little handles out of my safe looking all sad that their getting left behind and it quickly becomes a family affair.:rolleyes:

Generally take 2 or 3 each trip. Don't always shoot all of them but want the option of shooting more than one each time.

Haven't been to a "range" in years, but when I go to my place (a well protected 100 yards) in the woods on my property to shoot, usually take along 4 or 5 firearms with plenty of ammo and targets. A couple guests join me often, and when I can get him to come along (which is often :) ) my buddy with his class III brings his arsenal :D

And yes jg, without a doubt there are shooters out there that definitely think you're some kind of nut :rolleyes:
Then again, I stopped caring years ago about what other people thought of me ;)

LW

I try to always go to the range with someone as I use an outdoor Wildlife Public Range and being alone can be a little dangerous. Usually take at least 3 guns but often more with a mix of pistols, revolvers and rifles. I may take as much as 100+ rounds for each gun and sometimes more. I always keep my snubby loaded and in my pocket or keep a pistol holstered on my side. I keep guns not being fired in my truck and never go down range with guns left out on the shooting rest unless one of my shooting partners stay back or we are the only ones there. I'm not paranoid because I have a gun. But I am cautious because I have read about range incidents where guns have been stolen and in one case the shooter was murdered. I would suspect most of us have been to the range where some shooters have been less than safe and "professional". I usually have a good time but always err on the side of caution.

The above being said, I try to always meet and speak to every shooter on the portion of the outdoor range I am shooting on and I have met the nicest people and good shooters. Most are very friendly and safe and even volunteer to swap guns for a few rounds.

if im only going for an hour or so, it because im going to sight something in, or try out a new gun/load.

generaly if i go to the range ill take 5+ guns and stay all day, probaly shooting 1000+ rounds.

Minimum of 2 and up to 4. I practice for conventional bullseye. I always shoot the .22 and sometimes my S&W 52 (.38 spl semi-auto pistol) and sometimes one of my .45 pistols. And sometimes my SIG 9mm. Sold my .380, so don't shoot that any more.

almost never less than two (I like to "cool down" with careful trigger work on a .22) on the other hand almost never more than four.

Don't go to an actual "range" but to the woods. Sometimes, I bring just one gun, sometimes as many as 5. I never go alone though.

My main two carry guns (XD .45c and M&P 9c) and my Mark III. I have started to add my G36 as well, luckily it has a very simple manual of arms and is easy to shoot so practice time with my XD tends to carry over well (I shoot them both equally well).

Every now and then I'll get a wild hair (or find ammo) and bring my AR or AK and my 12 gauge along as well.

Interesting question. Generally, I bring everything but the kitchen sink :D; well, everything I've got a little extra ammo to burn for.

But, this is more of live fire issue than one for tactics or training, so off you go :).

When I go shoot, I take everything I own most of the time. I don't go to any ranges, just head out west to the BLM land. When myself, my three brothers, my dad, and my uncle go out as a group, there will be anywhere from 25 up to 100+ firearms if everybody cleans out their safe/cabinet for the trip. I usually take a 100-200 rounds for each centerfire pistol, 20-40 for a high powered rifle, 4-5 boxes of shotshells if the scattergun comes along, and a couple bricks of .22 lr.

Depends on what I'm doing, the range is about an hour away, so I try to make every trip count, but I don't want to spend the next three days cleaning guns, either.

Last trip was two center-fire rifles I had swapped scopes between that needed sighting in, a 10/22, a Ruger MKII pistol and an 1858 New Army.

Typically I take take one pistol and one or two rifles.

Back