Trickiest game to hunt

Turkeys and coyotes are smart and elusive. But for something big, fast, smart, hard to kill and bloody dangerous, how about feral hogs? Especially the ones that have cross-bred with European wild boars and combine the nasty features of both. I never had a chance to hunt them, and I'm too damn old and crippled-up now, but that looks like one hell of a challenge even with dogs.

I do honestly believe that turkeys know when the first day of spring hunting is. As such being, they will march around all over the farm with not a care in the world. Tricky fellows, them bobcats too, but I have never really hunted them hard.

In Texas: My father always said that a real trophy buck only makes one mistake in a season. To have determined which buck is THE real trophy means a lot of looking to compare bucks in a pasture. So, if that mistake was that time you saw him, you're gonna have a real problem finding him the second time.

Yup. Gotta agree. :D

Yellowfin Tuna in my part of God's country.

Or on Terra Firma, a wild covey of bobwhite quail.

Never really hunted turkey before but I'm going to try it this season. Last year I had to run them out of the roads at the hunt club. Been seeing lots while deer hunting or just in the fields riding around. They'll probably all be gone when the season hits though.

Trophy WT Buck

Turkeys are tricky, but when I was growing up, turkeys were always a bonus that just happened to come by while deer hunting. The trick then was how to shoot one with a deer rifle without blowing it to smithereens. But I've had a wise ol' hunters preach that if a turkey had a good sense of smell, you'd never kill one!!

Some really good (low-fence) trophy whitetails are killed by chance, but the difficulty to do it consistently or deliberately gets my vote as the "trickiest game to hunt".

...bug

I can find most game equally tricky depending on certain circumstances. Some seem smart because they're pretty skitish, some are cunning, some can be just brain dead. But in my experience the older the game is, no matter what it is, the harder it is too bag. Look at whitetails, I've had deer keep grazing 20 yards away while I fired my 12ga and reloaded. On the flip side I've also had areas that consistently hold some true monsters that no one ever bags or even sees during season. So are deer easy or tricky? Same goes for pheasants, coyotes, even squirrel.

Killin a sample of most critters can be fairly easy, baggin one that been around the block is another story.

Snipe. No really, they're really fast and mostly you have to wade through tidal marsh to even see them.
snipe.jpg

The most fun I've had hunting would have to be the numerous mornings spent in a duck blind. I could drag my cracass out of bed early everyday if it invovled duck hunting.

As far as trickiest game goes....that's a toos up, to me atlest, between coyotes and whitetail. Coyotes also fall under my fun to hunt category. Except for that time Pop and I spent a week attempting to kill the coyote that ate my Big Sister's prize winning show cow. That was hard and cold.

Never had a problem turkey hunting, all it takes is non-scented soap and being able to gauge the wind.

All the species I have had the privilege to hunt have had certain individuals that were tricky and sometimes meant I went home empty. They also had some individuals that made the hunt short and easy. This is the same with Deer, Bear, Turkeys, Pheasants, and various predators.

Never had a problem turkey hunting, all it takes is non-scented soap and being able to gauge the wind.

....I take it this was in jest, eh?

Buck,

....I take it this was in jest, eh?

Somewhat.

I have a Fraternity Brother who wears a Mossy Oak bottoms land ghillie suit, carries a shotgun that looks like something from a video game, has spent more on turkey calls and decoys than I have on my truck, and was still unsuccesful in his turkey hunting.

In talking to him about it, part of it was timing, he could never get out to hunt until late season, and even then, most of his hunting was done in less than optimal times of the day, like midday, when your average turkey is considering his midday nap, as should you.

In talking to a lot of turkey hunters around here, who report failure, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't their gear or scent, it is mainly a lack of hunting where the turkeys are. Or rather in thier cases, they were hunting where the turkeys weren't.

Back