Trickiest game to hunt

1.Chipmunks
2. Bobcats

Chipmunks are a very difficult target. I can hit them if I spot one in a field. But more often than not they are in a tangle of leaves and branches on the ground. It takes patience and a very accurate rifle.

Tracking a few squirrels running through the tops of some trees 120 yards out through a rifle scope until one of them stops long enough to let off a shot and you see it fall out of the tree. That is pretty exciting. Any closer than that and they are very easy to shoot with my .17 HMR.

Bobcat are native to Georgia, but I have never seen one in the wild. It might just be because I haven't tried very hard to encounter one.

Field Mice

Field mice by far! After I pull the trigger on my 30-06, it's really, really hard to tell if the 180 gr hollow point found it's mark....

Ferrets. (The little wild versions - not the fat pet store types. ;))
They're difficult to find ...and even harder to hit, since they never sit still and are 75% fur.

The most effective method of killing them is actually to blast them with gravel and shrapnel, as they cross an open area, by 'skipping' bullets.

Bear in rough mountains. Some areas turkey are smart, some areas turkey are really stupid. I sit and watch deer trails with a light rifle. The turkey where I hunt use them to move back and forth in the morning and afternoon. Not overly smart birds.

I have seen Deer, Antelope, Elk, Black Bear, Coyotes, Turkey, Quail, Pheasant, Dove, Sandhill Crane, Ducks, Geese and Rattlesnakes while hunting and camping in the Southwest. But I have never seen a Mountain Lion or Bighorn Sheep. They get my vote.

Seals, (the fury kind).

I was a Company Commander of an Alaskan Native NG Company on the Bering Sea north of Nome.

Use to go out with those guys hunting. All you get is a head shot. If you wound them they sink, hitting in the head you can retrieve them.

Problem is you're hunting from a small boat bouncing around in choppy seas and your quarry is also bobbing around.

Get too close and they dive, get too far away the wind gets you.

Most fun is grouse (partridge). They jump unexpectedly (I don't use a dog) and always seem to put a tree between you them. :o Difficult and fast shooting. I love it.

Turkey, coyote, and elk. Elk aren't bad unless you're on a late hunt with now snow and dry weather. Then, they hunker down on the areas around here that are no-hunting zones. You're screwed. Turkey has to be tough, as I've never killed one ;). That's just a joke...I've only hunted them this last season, and actually, we got into them last year, but that has to be the toughest animal pound for pound in North America. An elk wouldn't take a hit like that and walk away unperturbed.

Coyotes have been the biggest challenge in the last 2 years. They seem to know when you got it "right" and change the game on you. The most fun I've had hunting is when I take my daughters out and whack some squirrels. I've hunted grouse, and they're tough to hit and all, but the worst thing about grouse is they always are more abundant when I'm quietly hunting elk. Concentrating on the woods ahead instead of the ground below leaves one unprepared for what will happen. They then proceed to burst from below my feet and then somehow poop my pants for me.

Snipe. :D

Seriously, I've had some really hard hunts for Turkeys, and yet I've had some really easy ones, on the same property, in the same year, even.

Doves after opening day can be right frustrating, too.

Bird wise: Woodcock

Mammals: Muntjac in the summer when the vegetation has grown. (Little buggers will suddenly bark at you from nowhere. And they are in the habbit os looking up so tree stands aren't always as effective as you'd hope!)

Back