Trapdoor Springfield

In my day (1967-1971), no such thing as a soldier signing out his weapon on his own to go practice. No range on base at Anderson Kaserne during my year in Germany 1970-1971. The army I served in was not anti-gun but it certainly ungun.

"The Springfield Trapdoors carried over from the muzzle loader service rifles, in that they came with a mold and reloading equipment.

Like today, if the soldiers of that era didnt shoot, it was because they wouldn't put in the time to shoot on their own."

For most of the post Civil War period up to the 1890s or so, training allocation was TWENTY rounds a year.

And no, troops weren't encouraged to practice on their own. Ammunition was a precious commodity in the post CW era given that military budgets were cut into the bone and stayed that way until the Spanish-American War.

As for reloading the spent casings, remember, for the first 12 to 15 or so years of the Trapdoor era, arsenal .50-70, .45-70, and .45 revolver ammunition was NOT reloadable because it was internally primed centerfire.

So it didn't matter one whit if the troops had bullet molds. They didn't have reloadable cases.

After modern centerfire ammunition was introduced, the military came up with the cost savings idea of collecting cases fired in training and shipping them back to Frankford Arsenal to be reloaded into more training ammunition.

As for "Army provided reloading kits..."

No. They were NOT general issue, and as far as I know, fewer than a dozen were manufactured at Frankford, and today supposedly only two are know to exist.

They were investigated as a way of giving isolated outposts an option for reloading ammunition in case they were lacking supplies, but were never issued.

So, sorry, but troops were not encouraged to hone their shooting skills on their own time.

"Only Gary Anderson (another Old Gun Crank) came close."

In my dealings with him I always found him to be just cranky.

Odd, I always find him friendly and helpful.

But I guess coaching does make one "cranky" at times.

IMG_0156.JPG

Okay, it's always been "common knowledge" that bison hunters, using those large charges would carry a convenient number of round, a ton of bp, caps,and some extra bullets and a mold. Maybe a few small ingots of lead. As far as possible, they would recover the fired bullets when skinning or butchering for food, and recast when convenient. They would reload the fired rounds after the shooting stopped

Loaded rounds cost money and were inconvenient to pack. Powder and recycled lead were an obvious solution.

Is this true?

Not to change the subject, but similar to the Trapdoor being blamed for the Little Bighorn, the Krag suffered much worse from the same phenomenon in the Spanish-American War.

"We had a lot of casualties because we couldn't reload our rifle with stripper clips and the enemy could...it's not that we used bad tactics or anything like that."

Every ex cop/service member is a gun expert now. Sorry, I'll stick with my Old Crank buddies.

I'm coming up on 17 years in the Corps and I can't agree more. The military does some things right, and we do a decent job teaching marksmanship, but if you take a step outside of the basics, 98% of my coworkers have zero clue what they are talking about.

Forty years of shooting, handloading, listening to the cranks, after forty years I knowabsolutely nothing about things that weren't within my interests. Semiautomatic pistols or rifles. Various other things.

Gun rags are useless. It's never straightforward.
while the .30-06 is marginally faster than the . 308 and faster than the .30-30,
The .30-30 is almost the only lever action round available to American, and although many, many bolt rifles are available in other calibers with greater velocities, more deer have been killed with the venerable 30-30 than with its ballistic twin, the .30 Remington. Of course we can't ignore the fact that the .30-30 is quite capable of killing a deer out to and beyond 300+ yards but the similarly sized action .300 WSM HAS a greater range and is in most cases, more accuracy. Of further consideration, however, the highly desirable performance level of the WSM comes at a price, the loaded ammunition is far more costly than the similar .270 Winchester, another highly respected round created by Winchester. The ******is quite obviously an important tool to keep in the box, whatever your hobby is, from shooting squirrels in the Woodlot to defense against angry yaks.

No matter who you are and what you know everyone has holes in their education and many things that just don't follow through.

Back