This Years Favorite Gun/Caliber for deer?

A sign of the times in the firearms industry...

Two pages into the thread and still nobody is taking the most popular deer cartridge ever, the .30-30.

I agree the 30-30 is good but I can't get away from my .270 win. The rifle is a weatherby vanguard vgx. It is just my favorite rig.

I rotate what I hunt with. In the rotation this year are .300 WSM, 7WSM,& .243 Winchester. .270 WSM was supposed to be in instead of .300WSM, but a scope failure put it back in the safe.
The .30-30 stays my mainstay from year to year for brush hunting.

Last year, .257WBY and 6.5 X 55 were in rotation.
Next year, 6.5 X 284 and .264 Win mag are back at bat. I might work the .270 Winchester and .270 WSM in for a hunt or two.

I need to get the 7RUM back out, but it has been in hibernation for a few years.

For me the hands down favorite, the only gun that gets passed around the camp fire is the older Marlin in 30-30 Winchester. The one with the hand scraped wood finished in dark walnut and tung oil. Every other gun at camp is either typical, modern, synthetic or nothing special at all. The guys really admire that walnut stock after scraping off the factory finish with a jack knife. I watch their eyes when they accept it, shoulder it, and ooh & aah over that wood. It just screams "deer camp". They look at it extra hard. Rub it with their hands and ask me how it was done. I said you begin with a plain jane ho-hum mass production cheap chintzy factory finish, then get a very old, very sharp blade. A number of evenings scraping, staining and oiling follow.

A .58 cal muzzle stuffer, what else?

I got one with my .54 Hawken last year. I hope to get one with my .54 Sharp's this year. Still haven't gotten one with the .58 Enfield.

Deer Season 2013 was the third year I toted my Savage (Stevens) .30-06. I used it to effectively miss a deer this year. That just means I get to field dress some one's deer in camp. I don't mind doing that anyways, while some of the older guys suggest their way of doing it and holding the light. Between all the other successful hunters in camp, I still came home with venison, so all is good!

243's in general are averaged out to be white tail and smaller. Not to say they can't go a bit larger, but out of respect to the critters for the average shooter, use a 270). 270's will handle anything in the lower 48 if shot within reasonable range. A good shooter who knows their gun, ammo and ability can push the envelope on any gun. Larger things like moose and above are 30 cals for the most part. Respecting a clean quick kill is one the most important things about hunting just after safety.

Dustin746 wrote:
Only calibers I've ever used for deer hunting are 30-06 and .243 but this year I'm trying out the .308.
The 30-06 and the 308 are the same caliber. They are, however, different cartridges.

I had 3 gun/caliber options depending on situation. In my woods stand from first light to late-mid afternoon, although not a rifle, but rifle caliber, T/C Contender G2 35 Remington Super14. As the sun starts to get lower It causes a glare off the lens of the scope so I switched to a Winchester Ranger 30-30 I recently acquired.
From my field blind with the possibility of 300+ yard shots a reality, I switched to a Remington 700 in 7MM Remington Magnum. Very Light weight synthetic ( styrofoam, and fiberglass) stock, muzzle break, Decellerator pad, and very well done liight trigger.
Unfortunatly with the deer herd is down in our hunting area due to Bluetoungue disease last year I didn't get a chance at a buck I wanted.
The 7Mag would be fine for anywhere, and has proven so mamy times, but after getting the 'tender a couple years ago, and the thudy-thudy this year I really wanted to give them a try.

Just one example, from one gun manufacturer, but they all do it in with their specs on a rifle. As well as most reviews you read in magazines when they list the specs.
Model Options:
Cat. # Mod. # Caliber Cap. Barrel
Length Overall
Length Weight Twist Sug.
Retail Spec
Sheet
AMERICAN 6905 22-250 Rem 4 22.00" 42.00" 6.38 lbs. 1:10" RH $449.00
AMERICAN 6904 243 Win 4 22.00" 42.00" 6.25 lbs. 1:9" RH $449.00
AMERICAN 6902 270 Win 4 22.00" 42.50" 6.25 lbs. 1:10" RH $449.00
AMERICAN 6906 7mm-08 Rem 4 22.00" 42.00" 6.38 lbs. 1:9.5" RH $449.00
AMERICAN 6901 30-06 Sprg 4 22.00" 42.50" 6.25 lbs. 1:10" RH $449.00
AMERICAN 6903 308 Win

True but for simplicity's sake we call them different calibers

Hawg, that's not even close to true, they ARE the same caliber, get yourself a set of calibers and see for your self. They are different cartridges.

Jim

Gentlemen, please.... a little sidetrack is one thing, a complete derail for a dispute is another.

A new thread would be a fine place to have this argu... uh, discussion... Eh?

Classic 270 is my well rounded choice for NA game. Game hasn't changed since Jock O'Connor's days but ammo has gotten better so the 270 is even more perfect.

Back