This Years Favorite Gun/Caliber for deer?

Guv- Not sure on the 30-30, Just don't seem to find many of them. Less each year. I am with ya on the 243. I have one and am very impressed with the accuracy I get from that thing, and the vast array of different weight bullets it shoots accurate to. The 300WSM-- Could be people looking for bigger game out west. Just coming to sight in for the trip out to Montana or something. It is one of only 2 public ranges with in 70 miles of here,so come deer season- Get there at 5AM or be ready to stand in line for a long time.

Yea the 30-30 is limited in use around here as a whitetail rifle. A good scoped bolt gun makes things much easier if distance comes into play.

A Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 has become my favorite.
Light compact package with plenty of punch for white tails. Very close to 30-06 performance but with milder recoil.

I will be carrying on my first EVER deer hunt a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Win. I'll carry it until I kill one as its the first deer caliber rifle I've ever owned and was the first rifle I ever hand loaded for. After that a .30-06 will get the nod

Peetza--how does .243 AI compare to regular .243?

Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06. Handloads using 110 Accubond over 58.5 grains of Retumbo. Sub 1" groups at 100 yards even with me behind the trigger. Hunting for mulies out on the plains of Eastern Colorado this year for the first time. Wind is a constant factor, and long shots are common across wheat fields and pastures. Hunting partner is thinking 7 MM Magnum.

If I had another choice it would be .243. If I live long enough, maybe a Ruger in that fine caliber will go along someday. The older I get the less I care for recoil. 25-06 isn't bad, but the 243 is really interesting to consider.

This year I'm shooting a reconditioned Savage Model 10, in .308 Winchester. Just about as plain-jane as any rifle made. Tupperware stock, blind magazine, centerfeed model. It is destined to be passed on to a grandson for NEXT Christmas, when he turns 13. I'd like to make meat with it before I pass it along.

Geo_Erudite 6.5 Creedmoor is my caliber of choice, but it is my only choice.

alright!!!!
just some calibers i've used over the years
243 winchester
6.5 creedmoor
270 winchester
7mm-08 reminton
7mm mauser
30-30 winchester
32 winchester special
30-06
45-70 govenrment
44 remington mag

CarJunkie, good luck on your first deer hunt. When you get your deer make sure you post some pictures of it with your Tikka.

I used a Muzzle Loader this year. A TC Omega.

I have plenty of other rifles and wanted to do something different.

Plus, I have a black bear hunt lined up next spring where I want to use the ML.

Wanted to see if it works. Seen a lot of hunting shows where it looks like MLs were like bows, you shoot then hunt, following blood trails.

Plus since I normally hunt alone, I cant see what happens through all the smoke.

I shot a good doe at 146 yards, sucker was hammered. I don't have any doubts of the ML any more.

Last edited:
Hey Kraig, what powder, powder charge and bullet are you using in your Omega. I also have the Omega and was always interested in what it would do beyond the 100 yard marker.

So far, .270 Winchester and Remingtons are coming out on top. (Not including members that were not specific in their posts.)

5 - .270 Win
4 - .30-06
4 - .25-06
3 - .243 Win
2 - 6.5 Creedmoor
2 - 7mm-08
2 - .308 Win
2 - 12 ga
1 - 7mm Rem Mag
1 - 358 Win
1 - .44 Rem Mag
1 - .444 Marlin
1 - .45-70
1 - Bow
1 - Muzzle loader

5 - Remington
4 - Ruger
3 - TC
2 - Savage
1 - Browning
1 - H&R/NEF
1 - Howa
1 - Mossberg
1 - Tikka
1 - Winchester

deer

Mine is a 7 x 30 Waters out of an old style Contender with a 19-inch barrel mounted on a custom walnut/maple thumb hole stock.

Barnes 139gr TTSX @ 2200f/s gives 3/4-inch MOA @ 100yds. It's my go to combination for Pennsylvania white tails.

I have taken three deer with my present deer rifle,( Savage 110 'flat-top") .270 winny, 130 grain Accubonds on a charge of H4350, sucker kills'em dead..:)

Back