This Years Favorite Gun/Caliber for deer?

I may have an explanation for the scarcity of 30-30 brass at rifle sight ins. I work the one at my club. The 30-30 guys are usually older and more experienced. They pop a couple of rounds to verify zero and are done. My Marlin put two rounds in a single hole shaped like an 8 at 100 yards an inch below the bull. I put it back in the case. I have rifles for playing with on the bench but the Marlin aint one of them. I use it when hunting in the woods. If I plan to hunt a more open area I use my .300 WM Remington 700. I have a .243 but did not like how it ruined meat. The 30-30 I can typically eat right up to the hole. The Winnie even seems to destroy less meat than the .243. I expect comments about shot placement, but in the thick woods (where the deer are during rifle season around here), you shoot what you can see when you see it.

When I mentioned in my first post a month ago that I have been hunting with a .308 bolt gun for more than 50 years, I forgot my trusty 30/30 Winchester 94 that is always there, too. Sometimes I forget that the 30/30 was my first love and was never really replaced. The .308 bolt gun was/is the only other rifle I have ever owned that everyone said I had to have because deer, elk and antelope had changed. The 30/30 couldn't do the job any longer. Guess I'll keep it anyway. Maybe the deer, elk and antelope will change again.

alot of good guns out there. i think this year i will buy a new one. well, a barrel , anyway. t/c encore, 357 rem maximum, 18-20" mgm barrel. or maybe a 45-70 mgm barrel 20" with a muzzle brake.

270overview.jpg

Model 70 in .270, with a 3X9 Burris Scope

I picked this gun up in the mid-80's and have shot deer with it from one coast (east) to the deserts of AZ, in all kinds of terrain and weather.
If do my part - the gun does it's job.
BTW - The longest shot I've taken with gun was cross-caynon shot in AZ; 351 yards (my buddy had a range finder). It was a number of years ago and I had all the time in world (the buck never knew we were there - until the bullet hit him). Don't think I would try that shot again - my eyes are older now... :(

Back