The S&W Model 10 thread...

Where would one go to find good accessories for a Model 10? Such as a good holster, grips, speedloader, cleaning supplies etc? Any specific suggestions or just the local gun store?

Lee

Is there any consensus on the quality of the current new production M10 Classic?

They are OK if you don't mind MIM parts, the internal lock, laminated wood grips, and a heavy four inch barrel.

Personally, I will buy a used M&P or Model 10 over a new one every time.

I love a sweaty old 5 screw M&P! Buy 'em cheap, crack 'em open, clean out a hundred years or more of gunk, maybe replace a worn or broken part, put 'em back together, and damn, do they make sweet shooters!

The Model 10

Lots of fine photos, guys.

I have a weak spot for the M10 as do some of you. I have a pair of blued 4" Model 10-5s, a 5" blued, an a 4" in nickel. In my book, there just isn't much better than a good k-frame. They're so right in so many ways. It's no mystery why they were the sidearm of choice for so many law enforcement agencies for half a century.

I have a Model 10's cousin, a 2" stainless Model 64, and little brother, a 2" Model 12, but I'm still looking for a nice Model 10 to buy.

All the one's I've seen lately are way over priced, but I keep looking.
Saw one a gun show that was heavily pitted and painted with flat black spray paint, and he wanted $600.00!

Howdy Again

Keep looking, they are out there. I know of three right now that are going for less than $500. You may have to compromise on the finish, the days of that Model 10 that I got for $125 are long gone. But if you don't mind some honest wear to the blue, they are out there.

I just picked up another one from Gunbroker - the seller's description said it was *parts only*, and there was no main spring, the trigger wouldn't reset, the crane was binding and wouldn't close all the way, and the bore was pitted. I bid $130 for the parts, and someone else bid it all the way up to my $130 max, then dropped out. I received the gun yesterday, took it apart, cleaned a hundred years of gunk out of it, ran a patch through the extremely dirty bore and found it to be just about perfect. The rebound spring was missing from the rebound slide, so I found one in the parts pile, along with a main spring, and the correct sideplate screw to retain the crane without binding... and it works perfectly now. :)

I have a 6" model 10 with the tapered barrel on it. I guess that goes without saying since I don't think they would put a 6" heavy barrel on it.:rolleyes: I have the original magna grip for it but put a pachmeyer presentation grip on for shooting. I have to shift the gun around in my hand too much with the factory grip. I need to order a T-Grip for it and a couple other guns.

I did have a RHKP that was missing the lanyard. I sold it or traded it off and wish I hadn't done that.

I also have a model 15 and a model 65. I would like to get another M&P or model 10. Every time I bid on one on GB I get outbid. I look for them every time I go in a gunstore or pawnshop but never see them.

Last edited:
Attached is my meager collection.

On the left side top to bottom;

M&P Model 1905 4th Change - Shipped Nov. 19, 1929

Pre-Victory - Shipped Directly to the Union of South Africa on Dec. 1, 1940

Model 10-5 - Purchased last Friday for $185.01.

On the right side top to Bottom;

Factory Nickel 10-5

Model 10-5

Model 10-6

Attachments

• M&P1.jpg
    M&P1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 67
I got this one a few years ago for $279 from Buds gunshop and did a touch-up with rust bluing. I remember buying the pencil barreled revolvers for as low as $70 and got three model 64s for $199 each about two years ago.

ez3iuw8.jpg

I intend to get one 'some day", a pre-war 5 screw so I can pretend I am the hero of a Saturday Afternoon serial.

I like the classic lines of the older pencil barreled models but I like the older heavy barreled models for shooting. And I agree completely with Driftwood Johnson:

Personally, I will buy a used M&P or Model 10 over a new one every time.

StagsonModel10jpg.jpg

Model10HBonwood_zps3a8a26a1.jpg

Last edited:
This 4" M&P left the factory in 1948 and went to the old King Gun Sight Co. of San Francisco where some work was done on it. Still a reliable shooter 68 years later.

tipoc

Back