The S&W Model 10 thread...

SaxonPig

That was resurrected after 3 years got me to thinking. S&W made millions of the Military & Police / Model 10 revolvers. Blue, nickel, stainless (Model 64) and the wartime models in "Black Magic" finish.

Hard to imagine anyone who is into revolvers not loving them a M&P or Model 10. I know I do.

How about a few photos. I'll share a couple.

A Victory Model made for Great Britain. This one is unmolested except for swapping on Magna stocks for shooting comfort. Repurposed as a civilian police revolver after the war in the Saxony region, it was carried by a...wait for it...Saxon pig.

standard.jpg

Nothing fancy or unique. Just a Model 10-7 from the late 1970s. But it's real pretty and it was a birthday present from my wife a few years ago.

standard.jpg

A couple years ago I picked up some ivories at a good price.

standard.jpg

A 5" blue Model 10-7 that I bought new in 1979. I think the retail price was about $130. It's had maybe 30 rounds put through it.

standard.jpg

Model 64-2 made in 1976 and stamped for the Corpus Christi PD. Fairly scuffed up from duty use when I got it so I polished it some. Didn't make it exactly pretty but it's a working gun anyway.

standard.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing saxonpig. I need to go clean the drool off my key board now...my dad has an m&p snub that is a riot to shoot!

over the years, I have probably owned a dozen or more Model 10 Smiths. Down to one at the present time.
This old timer came as 'boot' on a trade. It was in terrible shape. My gunsmith put on a new barrel, all new innards, and Parkerized it for me.
Now, it's a great shooter, and my wife has confiscated it for her own.

I don't own a Model 10,,,

I don't own a Model 10,,,
Does that mean I'm not really a gun nut? ;)

I plan to remedy that one day,,,
When I do it will definitely be a pencil barrel model.

They are an absolutely elegant looking handgun,,,
Everything that is needed with no frills at all.

I do have a Model 12 though,,,
Basically the same gun but much lighter.

I would love to have a book hollowed out to hold three handguns,,,
A blue Model 10, a blue model 12, and a stainless Model 64,,,
All three of them with skinny barrels of course.

A few years back a lady friend asked me about a revolver,,,
She didn't want a snubbie or a .22 caliber gun,,,
So I recommended a Model 10 I knew of.

She got it at The Evil Pawn Shop for $350.00 OTD,,,
It was in very nice condition and shot great.

She purchased a Gun Tote'n Mamas purse for it,,,
Thinking she would upgrade to a better gun later on,,,
That was 3 years and several thousand rounds of ammo ago.

She became a very good shot with her Model 10,,,
In actuality it's probably all the gun she will ever need.

Aarond

Last edited:
I've been shopping these a lot lately. The variety in the used market for them is staggering.

I really want a excellent or better nickel variant. Yours with those pearl grips has an absolute classic flair.

I love the look of model 10s! What would you consider a "good deal" for a decent model 10? Probably some holster wear, etc, but still shoots well? $250? $300? $350?

Edit: I just purchased a model 10-8 off gunbroker for $262. Plus $25 shipping, 9.6% tax, and $25 ffl transfer fee, I should be out the door for $339.55 if my math is correct. I'm super excited to pick it up!

Any recommendations on where to buy new grips for it?

Last edited:
A very well patina'ed Military & Police from the mid 1920s...

It's a 5". Picked it up for a relative song. Action is smooth as can be, it's accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

409858443.jpg

I don't think $339 OTD is too bad. I picked up a similar condition prison guard trade in 2 or 3 years ago for $230 + a $20 x-fer fee. I thought it was a steal. From what I hear, the prices on M-10s have gone up since that time. Regardless of what the market is for them, a well functioning S&W 38 spl for $339 is a lot of gun for the money, IMHO.

Howdy

I only have a couple of Model 10s.

But I have lots of M&Ps.

Here are just a few.

This 5" M&P shipped in 1906.

MampP5inch02_zps128b45e8.jpg

This one is a little bit unusual with its 6 1/2" barrel. It shipped in 1908.

Model19051stChange-1.jpg

The precurser to the K-38 and the Model 14, this M&P Target Model shipped in 1917. The tiny screws on the rear sight make it a pain to adjust the sights. Need a really tiny screwdriver.

MPtarget01_zpsed256824.jpg

I was looking for a 4" M&P with a round butt when I came across this one. It shipped in 1938. I love the old hard rubber grips.

MPRoundButt01-1.jpg

Around these parts you are doing well if you can find a Model 10 or a M&P for under $500. I know Bud's discounts their guns deeply, but I would never buy a firearm sight unseen over the internet. Inspecting in person is worth a lot to me.

This Model 10-5 is one of only two actual Model 10s that I own. It shipped in 1968. It is also the best deal I ever got on a Smith. $125 out the door about ten years ago. I have always assumed the number 54 stamped on the frame was a police armorer's inventory number.

54_zps60105b0a.jpg

You just can't beat a Model 10. That's my first choice as a grab-n-go gun since I know it's always going to work, and I will always be able to find ammo for it.

I've probably owned a dozen or so Model 10/M&P's over the years. Maybe more, I had a half dozen at one time a few years ago.

Great shooters, but they've always ended up being trade bait for something else. The closest thing I've got to one now, is a 1954 Colt Official Police.

Repurposed as a civilian police revolver after the war in the Saxony region, it was carried by a...wait for it...Saxon pig.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. Even my wife, who's ancestors came from the Saxony region, laughed out loud.

Driftwood: "This Model 10-5 is one of only two actual Model 10s that I own. It shipped in 1968. It is also the best deal I ever got on a Smith. $125 out the door about ten years ago. I have always assumed the number 54 stamped on the frame was a police armorer's inventory number."

Perhaps you have found the elusive Gunther Toody/Francis Muldoon model 10.

Car 54?

I didn't know they lost their gun too?

For some reason my Mom absolutely loved that funny little show,,,
We would always be in front of the TV set when it started,,,
Mom, my sister, and I would sing the theme song.

Aarond

LockedBreech said:
Is there any consensus on the quality of the current new production M10 Classic?

I dont have one, but I dont think they are a bad deal. The 10 maybe over priced comparing it to what you can find in good condition used. There are just so many 10's out there.
So its not been on my radar. I suspect the collector value would be low.
Say you find a real nice 10-4 for $400 or so. Unless you beat it up. Its going to interest some one. If not for more at least what you paid. ALWAYS.

Model 29??? Thats a different story. If I had a 29 in minty condition I would not shoot it. So a new one that you can blast away is well worth the cost of admission.

Besides basic civilian models, I've got a RHKP model, supposedly the only Model 10 that had a factory installed lanyard, and what turned out to be an unfired nickeled 5" that belonged to the Detroit PD. The DPD came in a numbered box from Century Arms, although I have no idea how they got involved with the sale of them.

I am the oddity in that I do not have a Model 10. I have a Model 1899 M&P made in 1900, a Victory Model (the true Victory Model, in .38 Special - S&W called the gun in .38 S&W the Model 38/200, not the Victory Model), and several K-frame revolvers of different eras, but no Model 10.

Jim

Back