The purpose of lever action rifles in today's market

Status
Not open for further replies.

twins

I understand the purpose of the bolt-action, semi-auto, and full-auto rifles but don't see the purpose of the lever-action except for novelty.

If you recently bought a lever-action rifle, please enlighten me as to why.

Thanks.

For general hunting applications, I think that a lever-action rifle serves the same "purpose" as a bolt-action rifle does. I guess I'm just a sucker for things that are novel. :cool:

Micro,

Couldn't one find all the attributes you mentioned in most non-lever rifles currently on the market?

It's rare (haven't seen one yet this year and it's June already) that I see someone shoots a lever-action rifle at a range. So I'm still perplexed as to the advantages behind owning a lever-action.

I'm definitely not knocking it, cause I've never owned/shot one, just trying to find reasons to owning one.

Lever guns are shorter, lighter and faster handling than bolt-actions and are just as accurate. Autos can be as light but they aren't as accurate or as reliable. Pump guns can be as accurate and as reliable but there is just something sooooo classy and nostalgic about a leaver gun. ;)

Oh, sorry! You asked Marco. :D

Last edited:
Like revolvers, they make little sense until you handle one. My Winchester 94 is my only centerfire rifle and I have little lust for any others. Balanced, perfect length, perfect recoil, the right size magazine and simply timeless beauty. Besides that, you can catch the brass as it ejects with the same hand that worked the action.

"It's rare (haven't seen one yet this year and it's June already) that I see someone shoots a lever-action rifle at a range. So I'm still perplexed as to the advantages behind owning a lever-action."
They are outdooors, in the fields/woods using the lever guns. Kind of like the old saying, "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." There are some of us who like single action revolvers, lever guns etc. Some people like black guns and Glocks and some people like all of them. To each his own. Check out Paco Kelly's Lever Guns site and you might gain an appreciation.

Couldn't one find all the attributes you mentioned in most non-lever rifles currently on the market?

Yes, these qualities can be found in SOME other actions.
What makes them better than the lever actions?

What makes them better than the lever actions?

I don't know if the others are better (at least to me because I've never owned a lever action) but the bolt and semi rifles produced today have all the qualities you mentioned and it offers it in more calibers, stock configuration/materials, etc.

I shoot everything I own but it needs to fill a purpose before I buy it. Novelty/collecting isn't for me.

Just picking the brains of today's lever action owners to see what I'm missing.

Balanced, perfect length, perfect recoil, the right size magazine and simply timeless beauty.

Chett,

Are you sure you're not talking about the perfect wife? :-)

The attributes you mentioned is the holy grail for most rifle owners. Then why is the lever-action not utilized more in competition or more dominant in today's gun market?

The same purpose as the other three. To kill things with.
It,s a good brush gun for hunting deer,or hunting hogs, or just anything in general MOST other rifles can do. They're a kinda jack of all trades gun.
If I was to grab one rifle as I ran out the door, it would be my Model 94.
Also a lot are used for cowboy action shooting.

Lever action rifles are manufactured in a sufficient variety of calibers to comfortably take most, if not all, game in the world; isn't that enough?

The Browning BLR, alone, is currently offered in 15 rifle calibers from .223 Rem to .450 Marlin.

twins said:
Then why is the lever-action not utilized more in competition or more dominant in today's gun market?

Slow reloading for the most part.

If you ever get a chance to handle a Savage mod 99 lever action, you'll want one. One of the finest rifles I've had the pleasure to hunt with.

Simple pleasure of shooting, for me. They are very short, quick handling, and easy to carry as well. Is it "as good" as say my AR-15? Well it all depends on the purpose. As much as love my "black guns", I probably have more fun shooting my single action wheel guns and grand dad's old lever than anything else... and I'm a young guy! :eek:

I really should give cowboy action a try one of these days.

If you ever hunt through thick brush or climb over snowy ridges you will appreciate the lightweight and slim, handy carrying, tough as nuts durability of a lever action.

We still have my grandfather's 1916 mgfed Win 1894 .30 WCF. Not one part has needed to be replaced. It has hunted the thick forests of the Pacific Northwest for several decades, nearly 100 years. It has been dropped down scree slopes, dragged through rainforests, been used to whack a blind-charging deer on the head and it all still works and shoots straight. Not sure there is any blue left, mostly "in the white" and patina. During those decades it has often been a primary self-defense arm in rural homes.

Simple, tough, accurate to typical hunting distance, mild enough for beginners, perfect for saddle scabbard or carrying over rough terrain, fast repeater. And it has great nostalgia for anyone that grew up in the woods, around horses, or watched John Wayne. :D

While I greatly enjoy my Garand, AR15, and Savage bolt actions if I had to choose one rifle for hunting, defense, pest control and have it last for 3-4 generations with no replacements I would probably opt for the lever action. Fortunately though I can enjoy all of them.

Then why is the lever-action not utilized more in competition or more dominant in today's gun market?

Which competition? Go to a Cowboy Action Shoot and tell me how many bolts or ARs you see on the line.

Simply, the lever action has a lot of moving parts, it's early 1900s technology, but that doesn't make it any less useful than the AR clones we use today. Winchester and USRA produced over 7 million. According to Wikipedia: The Winchester 1894 holds the record for best-selling high-powered rifle in U.S. history.

According to Chuck Hawks: The Marlin 336 is the second largest selling high-powered sporting rifle in U.S. history, second only to Winchester's Model 94.

If Winchester produced over 7 million Model 94s and Marlin is the second seller, behind Winchester, I don't think we need to talk about dominance.

Simply, the lever action is a hunting rifle, a behind-the-seat rifle, a woods cruising rifle. It's not designed for target work, nor is it designed for competition. I personally own more lever guns (4 at last count) than I do AR's. There are millions of leverguns in closets, attics and pickup trucks all over the continent. They're simply everywhere.

Of course, I don't have to explain that to levergun guys. Either you get it, or you don't. It's a levergun thing.

Lever guns are perfect for open sight hunting. There are few bolt actions that fit so well for quick off-hand shots. On the other hand, I find few lever guns comfortable to shoot with a scope mounted. Most people shoot better with out a scope on a lever gun. In thick, steep areas, the lever gun is hard to beat.

My lever rifle is much easier to carry and use than my bolt-action rifle. I like to keep it light and portable for my type of plinking and critter-persuasion. It wears a Marbles Tang Sight rear and a Hi-Viz fiber optic front. Through daily use I've also figured out that the smallest rear aperture, 0.032" diameter, works well during daylight and the next larger, 0.055", works during twilight and near dark time. The bolt gun is more accurate, has a longer barrel, and is longer overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back