The optimum submachine gun...

The Optimum Sub Machine Gun?

• Total voters
Great thoughts and comments.

We Brits had a panchant for side fed submachine guns for the reasons indicated [you can get lower than a snake's balls when you shoot it]; we now no longer have an SMG in general use.

Someone mentioned the Vz61 Skorpion - an interesting choice and I half agree with the reasoning; I find it one of the few weapons that showers you with brass! All those empties go up into the sky really impressively...and then come right back down on your head!

I think I didn't add the Beretta M12 because they are crap; I kind of added a list of weapons that I rate and that wasn't one of them. I think it uses very old engineering to achieve what it does.

I believe if I had to pick a subgun to fight with and could have any I would use a PPSH or a Yugo in 30 russian. 72 rnd drums and they run very well along with a rate of fire that would cover an area very effectively.

I have seen these guns win alot of matches and while I believe the newer models like the HK are very accurate and super reliable I just think with the 30 russian cal and drum the Yugo is better. Close range I want all the bullets I can.

Yes they make beta mags for H&K but you have to squirt stuff in them to make them run. Also the 72 rnd drums on the yugo are battle proven.

A friend has an L2A3 and for some reason I really like that gun. The rate of fire is too slow but damn it is accurate and handles very well.

I had to laugh really hard as he was using his L2A3 in a match and wasn't paying attention when shooting weak handed and got his thumb in the ejection port, seems to be easy to do with this gun.

Last edited:
HK all the way

Thats an easy choice which is the best, While the IMI uzis are classics and have been proven around the world for there reliability and ruggedness they do not take the trophy. Neither do the rest of these Subs while they all are decent guns anything HK is the best of the best, the MP5 is the most accurate, rugged and has a good fire rate of 800rpm but is not as good as the others but still good. The MP5s price tag is a problem though, but the MP5 wins in my book and if its good enough for SAS, SEALs, and Delta force that means something.

I just googled "most popular machinegun" and found this...

The most popular submachine gun in the world is currently the Heckler und Koch MP5. However, it is designated as a "machine pistol" by its manufacturer (MP5 stands for Machine Pistol 5), a designation some reserve to firearms such as the MAC-10, which are the size and shape of pistols, unlike the MP5.

Looks like the world agrees with the majority of those replying to the poll.

Last edited:
The Germans have referred to submachine guns as "Maschinen Pistolen" forever.
Maybe because submachine guns have traditionally fired a pistol cartridge.
They even interchanged MP and StG (SturmGewehr) on the 44... The Father of Mikhail Kalashnikov's 1947 "invention".

British Soldier,

I'm surpised you didn't mention the M-3 and M-3A1 on your list. Lot of them saw service during WW-II and from what I read this was one of the few guns which could be adapted for shooting around corners. Now what could be more optimum than that?

I guess that you had to have one right handed grease gun guy and one left handed grease gun guy in a squad. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_SMG

A word on the M3 - why not keep them for pumping grease out of and leave shooting bullets to the decent weapons! You cannot place an M3 alongside a modern weapon and expect a comparison; they are 1st generation weapons where we are now using 5th or 6th generation smgs.

The M3 was a better SMG then the old Stens that the British had in WW2. :)

The M3 if you upgraded it's design sightly over the crude build of the originals in WW2 would probrobly be the best SMG avalible today.

I dont know about any of you but I know people who used both the Grease Gun and the Sten and others in or around World War 2 and they all agreed the M3 was the better one :p

Dimitri

Does anyone but me dislike the grip safety on Uzi's?

Yes I do but it works for what it was intened to do and that is to make the weapon safe and ready both. I took a Houge rubber sleave grip and slid it over the safety because my grip wouldn't reliably squeeze the safety. The houge doesn't press the safety in but holds it right to the edge of travel so I only need a little pressure for the safety to be off.

I had the full auto rangemasters look over this arrangement and they declared it safe in their testing.

The ppsh 41'!:D

ppsh.jpg

One of the greatest submachineguns ever made.:)

I dont have any experience but....
I would have voted for the Steyr TMP but it is no longer in production.
Another company is now making them but they are not exactly the same as they were before.
Same with the MAC10.
I have mixed opinions on UZIs.
I think that the HK MP5 is too big.
I really like Calicos but they are also out of production.
I also like Glock 18s but they are really machine pistols.
Bizon... dont know much about them.
UMP.... too big. IMHO
I know that some of you will bash me for this but....
hk_mp7_MP.jpg

Just the right size IMHO.
I know that it shoots sub .22 caliber bullets but they have armor piercing capabilities.
If I read correctly it has a rate of fire of about 900 rounds per minute.
Again, just right IMHO.

I took a Houge rubber sleave grip and slid it over the safety because my grip wouldn't reliably squeeze the safety.
Thanks for the advice. The grip safety is a real problem if you have a shooter who has nerve/muscle or arthritis problems. For instance, post polio syndrome, Lou Gerhig's disease, muscular dystrophy, carpel tunnel syndrome et cetera. It sounds better than taping the safety when I go shooting with my friend who has muscle disease.

CZC!!!!

Its been a while :) Well the MP7 seems like a good gun. Its a matter of what someone likes I guess. Personally I like the hard hitting sub-sonic 45 ACP. :)

But thats just me. For a SMG or a Hand Gun I rather have the 45 then anything else.

I also belive because of the fact the 45 ACP is subsonic its one of the few handgun ammunitions avalible that allow it to be used effectivily with a sound suppressor/sliencer to actually elimitate the noise and not just lower it a tad. :D

Dimitri

From another thread.
I have heard of MP5s and thompsons converted to 10mm but I would like to see them converted to .44 magnum, .454 casull, or .500 S&W.
Anyone else like this idea?
I realize that these calibers are rimmed and that they would have to be loaded in a drum or disk magazine like the American 180 but I dont expect many of you from the full auto forums to complain about that.
IMHO the optimum submachine gun is a thompson in .44 magnum, .454 casull, or .500 S&W with a folding stock and high capacity drum or disk magazine possibly like the American 180.
So tell me what you think.

Thompson .45acp.

I've shot an Uzi and a Thompson and I totally favor the Thompson. Haven't shot any of the others on the list.

Back