The first handgun you purchased and why?

Ruger 22/45 Target model...... wanted a 22 pistol and this happened to be on sale at the LGS at the time. I still have it and can not imagine a scenario where I would happily part with it. This firearm still makes trips to the range with me often.

I bought a Raven P-25 in 1982 after being robbed working in a self serve gas station booth. I was an impoverished student, and was barely able to come up with the $50 required to bring it home which left me with few choices.

1992-Beretta 92D, used from a cop, cuz I figured the Clintons would do away with any chance of getting any kind of handgun if I didn't act soon.

Bought a law enforcement trade in Beretta 96 at a gun show. Shot the 92 in the military, like it, and I liked the idea of having one in a larger caliber. Simple logic haha. I've since bought a new 92FS and a WC 92 compact, love them.

I was a Navy airplane driver in 1966 and the Navy supplied me with a S&W 38 for a service pistol. Not caring for revolvers and with their permission, I bought a Browning HP and carried it for another eight years. I still have that pistol, holster ware and all, stashed somewhere in the attic.

My first handgun was purchased new in 1976. It was a Ruger Mark 1 with bull barrel and walnut grips. The barrel had the "200th Year of American Liberty" inscription on it.

Lost this gun to a house fire. I really wish I could find another like it.

Taurus 65 in 357 Mag. Still the one revolver with the best single action trigger ever, light but crisp. Had to sell it when moving to a "no handgun" area and GF at the time didn't want to store it.

My first one was a Ruger Standard Model, with a 4"+- bbl. back in 1965. I got the team gunsmith to do a trigger job on it [his first and last on that model Ruger he said]. It was accurate out to 75 yds on Colorado ground squirrels and I carried it for years. I really liked the natural 'Luger' feel to the grip angle, still do for that matter...found it to be just about perfect for my hand, and the trigger job done on it made it a great shooter.

It ended up with a cousin who kept watch on my guns while I participated in the SE Asia War Games. After returning home, I let him keep it...a mistake since he promptly sold it. Best Regards, Rod

Springfield XD Sub-Compact in .40 when I turned 21.

I saw it in a magazine, Springfield had just purchased the rights to the HS2000 and started branding them Springfield XD about a year earlier.

I wanted small and compact; not realizing I was making everything that much more difficult from the start.

It was my first handgun, I fired about 3,000 rounds through her, got proficient. Then I bought a .45, then a 9mm; after realizing my follow up shots with .45 and 9mm were more accurate and quicker than a .40 - I sold off the .40.

My first one was the Beretta 92FS. I'll admit I looked at it because of Lethal Weapon. But I bought based on it's feel, it's quality, and it's features. Easily the best gun I own and still my favorite. Although the CZ 75 compact now shares that spot with it.

First gun I bought was a CZ 75 BD about three years ago. Bought it based on looks and how it felt in my hands. Took it to my friend's backyard put over 250 rounds through it without a single jam. It is crazy accurate.

The first handgun I owned was a Ruger MK.II I got when I was 9 years old.
Why ? Because my dad bought it for me.

But you didn't ask that. The first handgun I purchased was a Ruger Old Army.
Why ? Because I wasn't old enough to purchase a handgun that took cartridges. I shot the crap out of that Old Army.

On my 21st birthday, I purchased a Raven in .25 ACP.
Why ? Because I wanted to exercise my right to buy a handgun and that was all the money I had from my part time job of washing dishes in the hospital kitchen or maybe the money came from my pay as a National Guard PFC. Either way, I didn't make much.

Some of my first guns have been sold simply because either I wasn't using them or I upped the quality in general. My first good handgun was a 4" Colt Diamondback in 22LR. X-wife borrowed it after we split up and kept it... learned a lesson on that one. Of what I still own, I think my Mossberg 22 rifle is the oldest owned and probably a Model 700 .270 is next. A High Standard Victor is probably the oldest handgun I own these days in terms of my ownership. As far as why goes, the purpose was always to use initially.

I started attending gun shows in the 80's and the buying and selling gets into your blood. I thought, if they are doing it and making money, why not me? I mean, why else would they be doing it? I did that.... but never really made any money to speak of. Certainly covered the cost of admission at shows with the sales. But most importantly, it was fun. Not really interested any more in such activities although if I attend a show in state, I often will bring along something to sell or trade if the right opportunity presents itself. Basically, I culled out the ones I really didn't want or had little affection for and the remaining ones were keepers for me. Now I am starting to look at selling a few things again after a 15 year lapse in the activity.

I considered myself a collector for a while and I guess I still am, but most of the good ones are starting to have little appeal to keep and it's time to pass them on to the next generation of collectors.

Last edited:
My first I bought when I was 13 worked and saved 6 months a Colt Frontier Scout and my mom bought me a western holster and gun belt to go with it.

I sold a website I created when I was 24. I decided I wanted to buy a hand gun but had no real knowledge of them as I didn't grow up around firearms. I simply went to the different forums and asked what people thought was a good first firearm to which the GLOCK 17 kept coming up. Taking them on their advice I bought one and the rest is history.

Back