The first handgun you purchased and why?

Dan Wesson

Mine was a Dan Wesson 6" .357. They were a bit cheaper than a Smith, and I liked the idea that other barrel lengths and grips could be screwed on and off. The .357 ctg seemed the ideal revolver round. Use .38 spl wadcutter for mild practice, full power .38's as a field and small game gun, and magnum ammo for hunting and SD. The revolver was accurate, as long as the barrel/cylinder gap was set right (the company provided tools to accomplish this with the pistol) and consistently anytime the barrel was removed. Prone with a rest, I could bust water filled milk jugs with mag ammo at 100 yds pretty consistently (those were the days, sigh!!!). I had the handgun hunting bug, and shot quite a few groundhogs with it , using .38 ammo, as it was not as hard on the ears, and I could spot and stalk the contour farming of the area when the clover was up for close shots.

Eventually, (on two occassions) it developed lock work trouble and the action (?) would not cycle at all. When it came back from the factory the second time, I traded it away.

in 1974 I bought a stainless 38 Chief snubby $207. Carried in a S&W sholder holster. I was an officer in the Army and carried it..

Last edited:
My first handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk 357 magnum. Paid $114.00 plus tax. Brand new. That was quite awhile back. Still remember the day I brought it home. Earned $100 roofing a tool shed for my step dad, he put the rest of the money in for me. Still have that Blackhawk today.

Just got my first handgun from my grandfather for my birthday! His pride and joy, his Smith & Wesson Model 66 no dash 4" bbl. BEAUTIFUL AND A GREAT SHOOTER! I am hooked! Going to pick up a Sig P226 in the next few days if all goes well

Like I said back on page 3 my first handgun was inherited and the first one I bought I picked up because it was cheap and being a WWII buff it was just plain cool.

I'm not sure that really meets the criteria for why someone should buy their first handgun though.

Personally, I think everyone should own a .22 LR of some sort as their first handgun. The Ruger Standard/Mk II/Mk III stands out as one of those ubiquitous guns that every gun owner should just be issued at around age 10 or so (same with the 10/22 carbine IMHO :D ). I just think a decent but not too fancy or expensive .22 target pistol is the perfect place to start learning about the fundamentals of handgun safety and shooting - and they are cheap to run - a 500 round brick might set you back $30 and keep you at the range all day!

For the second handgun, that's when you can start thinking about why do I want this and what am I going to do with it?

I bought a S&W 686 4". It was used and apparently been performance center tuned. The only problem with it, which I knew nothing about at the time, was the Hillary hole. I bought it because I'd read that .357/.38 was very flexible, and it was made by a reputable US manufacturer. It turned out to be a pretty good gun to learn on, but it's not a gun I prefer now - mostly due to aesthetics. I've got a 586 I like a lot better.

That said, the 686 was also my wife's first handgun, and she's sort of claimed it so it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

When I first went into law enforcement in the 1990's the agency I worked for still issued 4" S&W model 19's. You were allowed to carry an auto pistol if you bought your own. A lot of guys carried Sig 229's and Glock 22's. A particular FTO I was fond of carried a Glock 21 so I bought one as well, and carried it until we standardized .40 caliber glock pistols in the early 2000's.

MFitz said:
Like I said back on page 3 my first handgun was inherited and the first one I bought I picked up because it was cheap and being a WWII buff it was just plain cool.

I'm not sure that really meets the criteria for why someone should buy their first handgun though.

I think there is a distinct difference and two separate memories. Some have inherited pistols from family or friends that really mean something, but it's not always your choice. Choosing that first handgun to purchase for yourself and by yourself has a different meaning (at least to me) and often a different purpose.

From what I've read (and I really appreciate the comments as my son has read through them and is in awe with some of the background stories), there are numerous reasons, but the one thing in common is that most do remember that very first handgun...just like that very first kiss:D

ROCK6

My first handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk .357. I bought it for hunting and target shooting back in 1974. My second handgun I purchased was for carry and that was my S&W Md#37 purchased in 1975. Still have both of them! ;)

So, as the title states what was the first handgun you purchased?
A Walther PPX in 9mm.

What advice would you give a new buyer of their first handgun?
Figure out WHY you want a gun: what role will it fill? (Home defense vs. concealed carry, etc.)

Check out as many as you can before opening your wallet. Find one that fits your hands and aims easily for you.

Also, if you plan to concealed carry, how will you carry it (IWB, shoulder rig, belt holster, ankle) and how much weight are you willing to pack? IMHO, the Walther PPX is too big & heavy for me to comfortably conceal in warm weather. I do have a shoulder holster with double mag pouches for it.

Why did you choose your first handgun and do you still have it?
I've owned rifles & shotguns for decades, and have fired a lot of other people's handguns over the years, but didn't actually own a pistol until last year. Mortgage payments & kids & other financial priorities always seemed to come first. Seems like something else always needed more attention than the gun cabinet.

I finally had some cash in my wallet and started researching until I found a gun with good sights, a comfortable grip and a smooth trigger ... at a reasonable price. Although 9mm is not as cheap as .22LR, I can afford to buy enough 9mm ammunition for regular range sessions.

I still have the gun and it has performed flawlessly. It also has friends now.

Attachments

• WP_20150505_001.jpg
    WP_20150505_001.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 23
The first handgun I Bought and Why.

The first handgun that I bought was a Rugar 22/45 with a bull barrel. I got it because I did not think that I could handle a larger caliber handgun. But it turned out that I was able to handle larger caliber handguns. But it was a great handgun to start out with. I even shot it in some competitions as well.

Used CZ75 from McBride's in Austin circa 1994. It was affordable at a price of $325, in really nice shape, all steel, and had that classic look to it. The DA trigger was a bit of a reach for my hands, but I loved the cocked and locked carry feature. I cut my 9mm teeth on that pistol and shot fairly well with it, but eventually moved on. I can't say that I miss it, but I occasionally consider getting another for nostalgia purposes and to see how my shooting has evolved over the last twenty years.

1st Pistol: CZ-75b

Why?: Gunsmith Cats

Well that comic got me to look at one at a Gunshow. The fact it fit my hand like nothing else I'd ever tried is the reason I actually bought one.

I really want that gun back, but it took off one day to help fund the neighbor's drug habits.

Not that I have any proof that he was actually the one that stole it. :mad:

Moral of the story make real sure the locks on your 2nd hand gun cabinet actually latch.

My first handgun was a HK USP 45. I, like some others here, wanted a full-size combat handgun and it's a great one. I've carried it working security and even had to draw it on one occasion. Two less than gentlemanly fellows got in a scuffle about 25yds away and our instructions were to not intervene and simply call the police. Just as I hung up with the local PD dispatch one of the fellows took off running and went out of sight only to reappear seconds later equipped with a handgun and fired 3 shots at the other. Luckily all missed but one went through a window of an apartment building and narrowly missed a family having their dinner. I drew my firearm and took cover behind my truck and called the dispatch again to update them. The guy doing the shooting immediately took off so luckily I never had to fire my USP. If it came to it though I would've been 100% confident that it would do what I needed it to.

Anywho, I don't regret buying my USP but if I could do it over again I would've first bought something more compact for concealed carry a Sig M11-A1. Not long after I purchased my USP I bought a used Glock 30SF off a police officer I had worked with and that's what I carry most of the time now but that M11-A1 is still on my list

Last edited:
Wanted a Glock 26 for my first handgun, with an eye towards carry. However, as I was holding one at Academy Sports, the clerk asked me to hold a 'real gun' in my hand and see how it felt. It was a CZ-75B, and the way it felt in my hand triggered something in my brain that never changed. CZ's just feel right! After exhaustive research on CZ's I setteled on the steel CZ-75 Compact. Calling around to all the local gunstores, only one said the had the 75C. When I came there to buy, it turned out to be a CZ-75 PCR Compact! It wasn't the steel Compact, but I knew the PCR was a great gun so I bought It as my first gun.

As great as the PCR was, I always felt like I didn't get the gun I wanted and ended up trading it in. Several guns, and years, later, I finally got my CZ-75 Compact last year and it is indeed the pistol I was always meant to have! Things have a way of coming full circle.

Glock 17. I knew absolutely nothing about shooting at the time and I had heard of Glocks all over the place. I don't remember if the guy at the counter recommended the Glock or not but I have to say it couldn't have been a better beginner gun choice for me.

Taurus PT1911, had just finished boot camp and wanted a 1911 with all the bells and whistles but didn't want to pay $1200. For $575 it was a great gun, not as refined as the 1911s I've had since then but I sure wish I hadn't sold it.

Back