The first handgun you purchased and why?

$100 for a HiPoint C9 with knife and case. ( run and hide ). It was a test to see if I'd even like a semi auto. Almost 1000 rounds and no failures. Then used it to learn to reload +p 9mm. It is still my test pistol for heavy lead rounds. I trust it for any HD, but wanted more rounds. It grew a Tristar C-100 to share ammo....

First gun I ever bought with my own money was a Huntsman. My grandfather had one new in box and it had never been fired. When it came to divvying up his things, I took the S&W K22 revolver and another relative took the Colt Huntsman. I think we both felt we got the better end of the deal. A couple of months later I was in a (I think) Larry's Sports Store in the late 80's and I saw a Huntsman in the case for $100, I had to pick it up.

Recently the relative who took the Huntsman passed away and his daughter sent me my grandfather's gun. She hadn't known grandpa so it had no sentimental value to her and she knew grandpa and I had been shooting buddies. I opened the package and found it had been stored in a very moist place and the gun is COVERED in rust. A project for when I can find the time.

This is the Huntsman I bought. I love this gun.

Colt_Huntsman01.jpg

Colt_Huntsman02.jpg

First Handgun? Llama Comanche, 357 Mag w/4" bbl.

Why? I was an impoverished college student and couldn't afford anything better (just had to have a handgun).

Advice? Don't get in a hurry and buy a cheap piece of junk.

Do I have it? No, had to sell it because I was an impoverished college student and really needed the money.

A High Standard Sport King with 6" barrel because it was in .22lr for economy and very easy to hit snakes and soda cans!

First 22 was a Jennings J22 in the late 80's at hardware store. $60 figured why not.
It's always went bang, and a while back gave it to my 90 yo mother. She would use it too if needed.

It was a Buckmark camper . . .

And I bought it just for the fun of shooting a semi-auto handgun. It fulfilled that purpose very well.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

My first handgun was a Glock 17. I did not know much about firearms and I started buying a few gun magazines from the local gas station. I read a few articles on the Glock 22 and how it was the gun to own so I decided I would purchase one. So I went to the local shop and the gentleman there explained to me the differences in the various guns, I knew I wanted a Glock as that is what the magazine sold me on, and then he helped guide me to the Glock 17 over the Glock 22.

I think he was right to do so and I am glad I did go with the 9mm over the .40 S&W. Unfortunately I was a n00b and I overpaid by a good amount but I have learned quite a bit since then.

First handgun was a makarov 9mm. Bought it because it was cheap and a tough gun and at 200 was all I could afford at the time. After I got a better job I realized my life was worth more then 200 so I sold it to help buy a Kimber stainless 2.

My wife bought me My first gun in 2011, I wanted a Glock 19 we left with a Sig sp2022 ( my son had been killed in a home invasion so we thought we better be armed). since then I got into wheel guns a lot of Smiths and a Ruger

thewelshm

The first handgun I purchased was a black powder replica, a single shot .44 caplock that was advertised in NRA's magazines.

The first cartridge handgun I purchased was an old Iver Johnson top break in .38 S&W. It was a lot of fun.

The first modern handgun I purchased (Dad actually purchased it with my money, as I was underage) was a Radom 9mm.

The first modern handgun I purchased with my money after I turned 21 was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special.

Except for the Iver Johnson, which I gave to Pete Dickey, head of American Rifleman's Technical Division (he loved the darned things), I still have them all.

My first handgun was the Ruger .22 auto standard 6'' barrel (waay back in 1980). I shot it for years and never had a prob with it. Eventually gave it to my sister for a home protection piece.

It's still in pristine shape and serves it's purpose to this day.

model 19

in 1972, i bought a 2.5" barrel smith and wesson model 19 for $125 as my first handgun. i was working as a fingerprint tech in the sf bay area and that was the gun most inspectors were carrying, and naturally i wanted one too.

My first purchase was a Taurus PT-92 the day after I turned 21 in 1991. Why? Lethal Weapon and Die Hard....:o

My dad had purchased me the year before a S&W Model 14 6in K-38 as a graduation gift.

The Taurus rode many miles in my holster as an armed security guard. Never a malfunction and would eat the center out of a silhouette target. carried it for years and put well over 10,000 rounds thru it.

Ruger SP101 .357 3". I've pic whored her enough but I love that little gun; her name is Hera and she is a beautiful piece of work. After her, I purchased a few other pieces but I always turn to her when I want to have fun at the range. Why? The weight, the accuracy, the simplicity and beauty of the design. My girl...

attachment.php

Back