The Corona Virus Gun Buying Panic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Europe a gun purchase would take far longer so any surge may not be so noticeable but I know of one crossbow manufacturer whose orders have gone through the roof. I suspect they are not the only ones.

To be honest, I think it’s no bad thing for people to feel that sudden awareness that the social order and stability that they take for granted isn’t as effortless and guaranteed as they think. Many may suddenly not be as ready to damn gun ownership as they might have been a month ago.

It might also mean there are a few lightly used guns on the market a year from now, or a new generation of gun owners.

When things calm down and this is a distant memory there will be a lot of gently used guns in yard sales.

Earlier this week a liberal colleague of mine asked me,,,
"What's a good online store to buy a gun from".

Now I was shocked as all get out at that,,,
He's been anti-gun for the 15 years I've known him.

I asked him what he had in mind for a gun,,,
His brother-in law is a cop and recommended a Glock 19.

Okay, I don't like them myself,,,
But they are good reliable pistols,,,
So I told him about budsgunshop.com.

Yesterday he told me that Buds was a bad store,,,
Because they wouldn't ship the gun directly to him.

I almost laughed in his face as I explained (for the 100th time),,,
No on-line gun dealer will ship directly to your home,,,
No matter what Clinton-Pelosi-Biden-Obama said.

I went on-line with him and he now has a Glock 19 with 2 extra mags,,,
Ordered to be shipped to The Evil Pawn Shop.

I am certain he isn't a felon or any other prohibited class of person,,,
But his last name is very common so he might get delayed.

If this happens I might bust a gut laughing.

I almost hope (just a wee bit) that this happens to him,,,
Just to prove the point that I haven't been lying to him for 15 years.

Aarond

I'm not excited about this crazy run of first time buyers at all and find it the least bit humorous. It's been mentioned already, many of these folks are never going to take the time to learn how to use or store them properly, so the number of thefts and NGs, and all thise bad things that happen when idiots hold guns is about to unleash. The second part of this is their motivation. How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare? Answer, they are betting we are going to take them when things go bad. Not sporting aspirations, not rogue governments, but their neighbors and those crazy conservatives with snake and flag stickers! Now call me crazy, but worse things have happened and they have never been moved a millimeter from their position. Now all of a sudden they are 2A supporters? I don't think so.

The good thing about the 2A they hate is it applies universally to all citizens. Wish they'd think a bit harder, before giving everything away as they have. maybe this will change their attitude, but to me, guns in the wrong hands just makes the stop more bold.

Here in PA , Gov has shut down all non essential business. So all gun shops are closed until further notice. At the same time Filthadelphia police have stopped prosecuting thieves and burglars. As well as letting non violent criminals out of jail.

Here in PA , Gov has shut down all non essential business. So all gun shops are closed until further notice. At the same time Filthadelphia police have stopped prosecuting thieves and burglars. As well as letting non violent criminals out of jail.
And yet, so many continue to place their faith in government!

How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare?
I'm thinking the majority of the new buyers weren't gun haters. Probably neutral to just not justifying the cost before. I'm sure among a wide spectrum of economic ability. So not all will be buying "approved" brands. In fact most are probably buying some of the more affordable guns that are in reality quite well made with modern,cost saving technology today. Some maybe even buying the lowest priced guns that although bulky, ugly, and hated by gun snobs, but have proven themselves as reliable as any other, and even more so than some of the top level "approved" brands.

Waiting until their is a national catastrophe in full blossom before you decide a firearm is in order, is what can only be described as "impossible stupidity!" During the Katrina debacle NOLA jackboots went as far as attempting to seize lawfully held firearms from citizens on their own property, this resulted in many shootings which a dutiful media lied to you all about as being gang related, they weren't gang related, or rather they were gang related, and the gang was the local government. Not already having a firearm with which to defend yourself and your family at the ready at the very onset of such calamities, well that makes you food....

You can't fix stupid.

People hoard toilet paper, that's stupid too. No one ever got killed from the improper use of toilet paper- but I am sure there is a headline somewhere starting out "Florida Man..." just to prove me wrong.

stated honestly, but for grins

Here in AL, at least in my north west area, it seems business near as usual. There is a run on ammo, and some retail sales limits, but sporting centerfire rifle, shotgun and rimfire fodder all seems very available. There are no lines at gun shops or pawn shops that I have seen.

Maybe we all have our head in the sand........or maybe we all have guns and ammo to begin with. :)

I was happy to help a few friends and family figure out their first-time purchases over the last couple of weeks. Despite all the inconvenience, difficulty, and danger for high-risk persons; I'm glad to see some people getting their much-needed wake-up call here.

Coincidentally, I know some previously anti-gun people who are beginning to rethink their worldview. Here is a fun video on the phenomenon from Colion Noir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZZJitkKvA

Waiting until their is a national catastrophe in full blossom before you decide a firearm is in order, is what can only be described as "impossible stupidity!"

Is it?

Some might call it adapting to an evolving situation which is a greater sign of intelligence than not.

Almost everyone is guilty of some degree of "it won't happen to me-ism" in one area or another. And sometimes it takes a reality check like this to make people reassess their stance.

How many people have decided to buy a gun after having a close-call with a would-be criminal, for example.

Sure, realising that you might be a victim before becoming one is preferable, but I don't begrudge people learning from their mistakes and trying to rectify them.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned already, many of these folks are never going to take the time to learn how to use or store them properly, so the number of thefts and NGs, and all thise bad things that happen when idiots hold guns is about to unleash.

I wouldn't be surprised if most firearms in private ownership don't get shot or handled that often. I bet there are 10's if not 100's of thousands of guns sitting in sock drawers that have never been fired and sit there in case an emergency arises.

How is this any different?

And, ultimately, are you saying that you don't think they should buy those guns?

How is a long time gun hater somehow converted to gun loving by a virus scare?

You make it sound impossible. I converted simply because I started educating myself about firearms. If that can happen to me, an average Joe, then I can't see why it shouldn't when risk to family and property suddenly becomes a realistic possibility.

Answer, they are betting we are going to take them when things go bad. Not sporting aspirations, not rogue governments, but their neighbors and those crazy conservatives with snake and flag stickers! Now call me crazy, but worse things have happened and they have never been moved a millimeter from their position. Now all of a sudden they are 2A supporters? I don't think so.

I'm not sure if I get your point, but if you are suggesting that the new surge in gun purchases is somehow an anti-gun ruse, I would say you give them waaaaaay too much credit.

PA new owner problem

Not me, I've been shooting for years.

The current problem is that the ranges are closed. Unless you know somebody with sufficient land and something like a backstop, it's hard to offer instruction that includes live fire. So people are buying these firearms without the ability to get real lessons.

I was visiting a friend in Sarasota Fl. (Shoot Straight gun Store) A large southeast firearm retailer. The line to get in was around the building , arx 100 people in line.

Is it?

Some might call it adapting to an evolving situation which is a greater sign of intelligence than not.

Almost everyone is guilty of some degree of "it won't happen to me-ism" in one area or another. And sometimes it takes a reality check like this to make people reassess their stance.

How many people have decided to buy a gun after having a close-call with a would-be criminal, for example.

Sure, realising that you might be a victim before becoming one is preferable, but I don't begrudge people learning from their mistakes and trying to rectify them.

I'm sorry James but you and that particular logic are woefully erroneous, a person who stupidly(and it is stupid)cedes their personal safety to a telephone, a three digit telephone number, and a local governing source and its police agencies isn't a sign of intelligence, its a brazen display of grotesque personal irresponsibility and stupidity.

In effect you are saying such folks are smart because as reality unfolds before otherwise blinded eyes, they decide "hey maybe a firerarm ain't such a bad idea!" That is exactly what they should have done long long ago, and sought proper instruction to operate a weapon at the same time.

That logic kills a great many of the herd, a very very great many when calamity strikes on a national scale. These people are the ones who manifest themselves on these websites and bitterly complain when suddenly they cannot buy what they need, and if they can how expensive it just became!

They whine about price gouging, hoarding, and every other thing, all because they blew off "totally" their own personal responsibility for themselves and their loved ones! There's the way things ought to be, and then there is just the way things are....

Well the good news is once they buy a gun they will generally fight to keep them. Weather they shoot or not no one wants something they have invested in taken from them.

I saw the madness today.... lots of guns flying off the shelves, lots of first time gun buyers and owners to be sure.

Taurus was flying off the shelves today with some slightly more expensive, better made guns sitting untouched. My opinion is that first time buyers, as the OP suggested, were buying the cheapest guns that were available.

As the day wore on, I suspect that the average gun price increased as the bottom tier wasn't available.

One of the staffers also noted that they have had in excess of 30 people waiting to simply get into the store at most times.

Rifles were the slow movers with plenty of AR types still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back