The Corona Virus Gun Buying Panic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplebike

Here in Pa , there are 2 hour lines at the gun shops for new gun purchases. A lot of these folks are not savvy about which brands to buy or not buy. I would recommend to these new buyers to stick with a reputable company like Ruger, Sig Sauer, S&W, etc. Stay away from companies like Taurus. Saving a few dollars could come back to bite you in the long run especially if you have a problem. An example would be if you have a problem with a Ruger your firearm would be returned repaired in a week or two at the most. A Taurus would take 8-11 weeks to get back. If your buying the gun to protect you and your family 8-11 weeks is an eternity to be without protection. At that point is it worth it to save 10 dollars, I think not. I believe that excellent customer service and a very fast turn around is worth it's weight in gold when you consider the alternative.

<<<Warning. Since TFL is a firearms forum, topics must be firearm related. Firearm shortages are firearm related, but that doesn't mean it's ok to branch out into detailed discussions about Coronavirus or Coronavirus policies. Thanks JohnKSa>>>

I agree 100%-I sent a Ruger New Vaquero Birdshead in on Rugers dime on a Thursday and had the pistol back in a week and a half-fixed under warranty-I think that's pretty good service.

The problem with new gun buyers under stress like this is they are not enthusiasts and will not learn to use their weapon. They will not secure it properly and are setting themselves up for other potential problems. I hope I'm wrong. I am a big proponent of buying a gun and learning to shoot it well.

Most of these people would be better served with a realistic bb gun. No time to practice, test, buy ammo that it likes.... the list goes on. But whatever they get is better than a sharp stick. Hopefully after this blows over they learn how to use what they have.

I have a friend who bought a gun after Sandy Hook. I'm pretty sure she has never shot that gun. I hope it works if she needs it.

I have another friend who was in the process of buying last week and decided the money was better in the bank. The upside is she was getting good at shooting rental guns.

With all of the first-time gun buyers out there, I'll say this: Now is the time to be a good ambassador for gun owners everywhere.

Another likely scenario is...some of these new gun buyers will keep the gun a few months, or a few years, won't fire them, will decide they didn't/don't need them, and they'll find their way to the used market where we enthusiasts can buy their like-new used guns affordably.

Yeah I won't recommend Taurus either. Just too many far superior options for not that much more. IMHO it is hard to go wrong with S&W Shield, Walther PPS, and S&W SD9VE also considering they are often available under $300.

I'm glad that more and more members of the "that would never happen" and "the police will be there if I need them" mindset are waking to the reality of the world.

The problem with new gun buyers under stress like this is they are not enthusiasts and will not learn to use their weapon. They will not secure it properly and are setting themselves up for other potential problems. I hope I'm wrong. I am a big proponent of buying a gun and learning to shoot it well.

Totally agree. That is why, when this happens, you will see lots of good 2A ambassadors on FB offering to help their friends make good choices and then learn to use it properly. I put such a message on my FB page yesterday.

I do a cycle every summer for newbies. Intro that is basically personal safety, then a basic firearms range session, stop the bleed, then an intermediate range class.

If you are worried about the welfare of you and family enough to buy a firearm don't buy second rate guns. Buy the best you can afford. Any gun is better than none, if it works. I have seen a lot of second rate firearms fail. These were at the range so nobody died as a result. These guns had low round counts, some on maiden trip. There is always an exception but most are flukes.

If you know the gun is crappy ahead of time, a sharp object in your possession may be prudent backup.
I had a friend who showed me a new CCW...a tip barrel .22LR auto. I am sure I scrunched up my face as I said. "Well, it might be a little better than a knife."

I tend to agree with this guys position on the current people that are panic buying guns right now. What he is talking about are the ones that have contacted him and want training so they are probably the cream of the crop. I bet most will buy a gun and not even train enough to know the four basic rules of firearm safety.

He is a firearms instructor in Yakima, WA. and this was on his Facebook page.

There's a good number of people who've contacted me today for the first time. Pay attention now, because every single person who contacted me were "interested in becoming gun owners", and they all told the same story. They believe in "common-sense gun legislation", but given the likelihood of increased crime combined with decreased enforcement specifically in Washington State, they have made the decision to explore the idea of owning a firearm for personal protection.
Each of these folks have voted FOR every gun control bill of late in our state. They now understand the need for standard-capacity magazines, lowered age limits, and ZERO waiting periods. The very thing they voted for recently is now coming back to haunt them. Moments like these are amazing for learning and bridge building. Each person realized two important things:
1. Every gun control law is supported by the privileged, the misinformed, and the elite.
2. Gun control only does one thing - create victims.

Samuel Middlebrook
https://www.redhawkfirearmtraining.com/

I'm glad that more and more members of the "that would never happen" and "the police will be there if I need them" mindset are waking to the reality of the world.
+1
As the saying goes "When seconds count, help is only minutes (or hours) away"

Clarification: That is IN NO WAY meant to disparage the LEOs who put their lives on the line daily protecting us as best they can with the limited resources they are given!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back