The best Revolver you ever owned?

I'm going to go with my 649 for its extreme versatility.

Small enough for deep concealment, shrouded hammer for no snag draw/shoot from pocket, big and heavy enough for fun on long range sessions, eats a wide variety of Ammo from .357 down, DA/SA options for speed/accuracy, and I've personally grown to love the SS humpbacks looks in a form-follows-function kinda way.

My 686 and 617 are more accurate, of course, but the little snub is surprisingly good and I'm a big believer in: the only good ____ is the one you have with you.

27258293462_bfd16e13e8_z.jpg

I find that S&W and Colt tie for the "best". I always preferred Colts, but a lot of the models have gotten rather expensive and I have shifted to S&W not that they are cheap. Don't own a Taurus although I have considered buying on from time to time, in particular in 41 mag.

My favorite revolver is a 4" Colt Diamondback in 22LR. The runner up is a M57 Smith with 8 3/8" barrel.

Here are my Top 5 with a bonus runner-up Mateba:

VwkYvtmh.jpg

Mateba 2006M
Colt Shooting Master
S&W Registered Magnum
Colt Python
Korth Combat
Manurhin MR73

Best, man who could ever say. My favorite just to sit around and fondle would be my consecutive numbered USFA 5.5", 38 spl's done by Turnbull. Best to shoot, ya'll are gonna laugh, but my late 50's colt Officer Model Match is just a lazer beam for me any way. I shoot it better single or double action than my 6" Python or my 3.5" Mod 27-2, which are both awesome firearms as well. And for all that, the one that goes with me everywhere, CCW, in the truck, on the bike, in the boat, in the river, is my cheap old Charter Arms PUG 44 spl. I know, it's a piece of crap but I don't worry about getting it wet, beating it up, getting it stolen, and it goes bang every time.

Hands down my 1975 colt python 357mag six inch barrel. I could ping any small rock on the 100yr berm with my 140 great reloads.

Best revolvers I have owned are:

Currently the S&W Model 15-7.

Past:

S&W Model 14
Taurus Model 66 ( S&W Model 19 copy) purchased in very early 90s.

Not owned but issued (security): Taurus Model 83 (S&W Model 15 copy)

Taurus 66 took hundreds of Federal 125 grain .357 mag loads accurately with no timing or any other issues.

Taurus 83 ate cases of Cor-Bon 158 LSWC-HP +P loads with spooky accuracy.

I have to split this between Double Action and Single Action!

My favorite Double Action is my Colt Python.

ColtPython2.jpg

2nd Runner Up is my Clark PPC Revolver.

ClarkCustomCombat.jpg

My favorite Single Action is my Ruger Bisley .45 Colt (near perfect out of the box!)

RugerBisleyGroup.jpg

2nd Runner Up is my Clements Ruger Bisley .44 Magnum

RugerBisleybyClements.jpg

Heck, just make these my top five! My Colt Diamondback .38 Special

Colt20.3820Special.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has to be my trusted pair of model 28s.

The model 28 is another classic workhorse that shoots even better than it looks. Sadly I let my second one go when I upgraded to a model 27. Not the best decision I ever made. :confused:

The best revolver I ever owned would be any of these.
Sw k model .22
Sw k model .32
Sw k model .38
Sw model 19-4
Sw model 66-3
It would be hard to choose

I've got a mint Colt Python that's pretty darn nice. It's certainly the prettiest revolver I own. Best would have to go to my S&W 14. It's just preternaturaly accurate. The only problem is that if you don't shoot a tight group, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I have a Ruger Bisley 45LC on which Hamilton Bowen of Louisville, Tennessee did a "Perfected Bisley # 2" workover. With the rosewood grips it wears, I'd say that's my favorite.

Back