The Best Handgun Ever Made!

Well if we are going to start throwing around the best revolver for “ME”. Then I am going with my 681PC.
-Fixed sights
-7 shots
-easy to carry
-BUTTAH trigger
-3 inch barrel

It’s a work of kinetic art. :)

IMG_8421_zpskp6nfz3p.jpg

Ha! Everybody knows the P&R Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel is The Best Handgun Ever Made.

You have your choice i have mine. In MY world, no pistol with a 2.5" barrel gets on my "best" list.

Not one...

No K frames are on my list, either, though I have owned several and they are good guns they simply aren't "the best" for me.

Too large to carry easily and too small to shoot easily.

Are you really saying an L frame is too small to shoot easily? The Best Handgun Ever Made is also very light made with titanium and scandium so it should be a joy to carry.

What war you going to Steve?
I'm not going to any war, but I'm also not applying to be an immigration officer that can open carry on a big fat batman belt.

I carry concealed so having a snag free weapon that is good at self-defense ranges is key. It's impossible to snag trench sights on a shirt. Not so hard with higher profile blocky adjustable sights especially in a panic when your draw may not be perfect.

Are you really saying an L frame is too small to shoot easily? The Best Handgun Ever Made is also very light made with titanium and scandium so it should be a joy to carry.

The minimalist sights make it hard to shoot easily/accurately at distance more than a couple yards. A couple extra ounces of weight don't bother me for carrying. The bulk of the frame and cylinder however make concealing harder. I'd take a 6 shot steel Colt Cobra over the airweight L frame everyday of the week.

I cast my vote for the commander size 1911! I had a lot of handguns, after shooting this one for a while I sold most of them.

S&W 1911 Sc e in 45acp

Last edited:
I'm not going to any war, but I'm also not applying to be an immigration officer that can open carry on a big fat batman belt.

Steve, reading is fundamental:
...Patrol Agents of the U.S. Border Patrol working plain clothes assignments.

Agents working undercover don't "open carry on a big fat batman belt".

Don

I carry a 686 but still believe that the 1911 is still the best gun. BTW congratulations on your gun, its verrrrry nice.

Thanks, nothing wrong with a 686 except trying to keep one clean!
What length barrel do you have? I bought a 6" one when they first came out then decided I'd like a 4" and gave my brother the 6", never found a 4" at a decent price. Those are really fun to shoot light 38spcl loads at steel targets.

Agents working undercover don't "open carry on a big fat batman belt".
Doesn't change the fact that adjustable sights on a S&W are prone to snagging.

Do you know what happens when you take a teenie weenie screw driver and turn that little windage screw too far? It breaks off. That's the actual recommend way to change that little tiny leaf.

S&W knows this, that's why on their last attempt to make the ulitmate L and K frame carry guns, known as the Night Guard they used a non-adjustable sight. I believe they are made by Cylinder and Slide.
iu

Steve

Bob Munden's probably not a good person to reference in this case, he could do all kinds of things no normal human can do with a pistol!
As far as sights go if you look at the statistics nearly all self defense situations occur at very close range, the natural point of aim of the gun is way more important than the type of sight IMO.

Look at your target, close your eyes draw and point your gun at it, open them, if your gun isn't pointed at the target you have the wrong gun in your hand.

Doesn't change the fact that adjustable sights on a S&W are prone to snagging.

Do you know what happens when you take a teenie weenie screw driver and turn that little windage screw too far? It breaks off. That's the actual recommend way to change that little tiny leaf.

S&W knows this, that's why on their last attempt to make the ulitmate L and K frame carry guns, known as the Night Guard they used a non-adjustable sight. I believe they are made by Cylinder and Slide.

Every time I shoot down your argument, you don't defend your argument, but rather throw out another one. You'd make one heck of a politician. So, let me see if I have this right, all the decades that S&W put adjustable sights on their guns, guys with their "teenie weenie screw driver" were turning the windage screw too far, causing a breakage that prevented them from defending themselves? What comes next, are they the wrong color?:rolleyes:

Don

Those are all daytime guns btw, don't see any night sights on any of them, fine if you don't go out after the sun sets.
My Smith 1911 has the brightest set of tritium sights I've ever seen, easily seen on the nightstand in the dark or in a parking lot at night.

Bob Munden's probably not a good person to reference in this case, he could do all kinds of things no normal human can do with a pistol!
As far as sights go if you look at the statistics nearly all self defense situations occur at very close range, the natural point of aim of the gun is way more important than the type of sight IMO.

Look at your target, close your eyes draw and point your gun at it, open them, if your gun isn't pointed at the target you have the wrong gun in your hand.
Yes, Bob is exceptional. I'm nowhere near his level but he illustrates my point that trench sites can be used to great effectiveness in capable hands. To say you can't hit the broad side of a barn only proves the shooter is really bad at shooting.

And you're correct about point shooting.

Those are all daytime guns btw, don't see any night sights on any of them, fine if you don't go out after the sun sets.
My Smith 1911 has the brightest set of tritium sights I've ever seen, easily seen on the nightstand in the dark or in a parking lot at night.
Because The Best Handgun Ever (my 242) has a pinned front sight I can easily change it for tritium or fiber but going back to what you said earlier, it's more of a point and shoot ordeal. Night sights only serve to find your gun in the dark, otherwise you're point shooting and hopefully not into darkness, that would be reckless.

So, let me see if I have this right, all the decades that S&W put adjustable sights on their guns, guys with their "teenie weenie screw driver" were turning the windage screw too far, causing a breakage that prevented them from defending themselves? What comes next, are they the wrong color?

If you like fragile little parts on your gun have at it, but S&W knows their weakness, which is why their serious self-defense guns come with solid steel or trench sights. If you think they are making them wrong feel free to contact S&W customer service.

Looks like we have a lot of "shooters" here that need to learn how to use kentucky windage, shoot double action and align their sights with a short barrel revolver!:D

Back