The Best Handgun Ever Made!

Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel is, with Pachmayr grips. Fits normal sized hands, is steel, has sights and, up here, will get you 10 years as a guest of the Queen's Prisons. Barrel length makes it evil. snicker.

My candidate for the "best" Field & Game Division:

My candidate for "Self Defense Division":

My candidate for "Tiny pocket Gun Division:

Bob Wright

The 242 is a rare bird. Only made in 1990. This handgun is so good people didn't buy it because it's a little too good.

I paid $1025 for it. Which is a lot of money, but a scandium J frame retails for over $1k and my N frame scandium pug goes for $1300 MSRP so that's about what they go for.

This will not be a collectors piece. It will be shot and carried as much as possible.

I knew people would be mad at me for posting. It's hard to look perfection in the face and not be bothered by it.

HVR, I happen to own both of those guns so you'll get a picture soon.

Local Gun Shop has it but they haven't logged everything in yet. I may have to wait another day to hold The Best Handgun Ever Made!

The best handgun ever made is,,,

The one you have in hand when you really need it!

All else is just personal preference.

Aarond

Ha! Everybody knows the P&R Model 19 with a 2.5" barrel is The Best Handgun Ever Made.

This would be near the top in my book and I'm more of a semi guy. One of the few guns I've sold over the years that I regret was a SS Ruger Security 6 with a 2 3/4" barrel. While not as refined as the Smith it had some improvements. The barrel was just long enough for the ejector rod to fully eject cases.

When things settle down and they become available I think this will be the 1st new revolver I've bought in a while.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-66-combat-magnum

Adjustable sights have teenie tiny screws with teenie tiny threads prone to damage.

For self-defense a good trench site with a pinned front is best.

But I am glad Smith is bringing back more K-frames, not sure why they are all steel though.

Adjustable sights have teenie tiny screws with teenie tiny threads prone to damage.

For self-defense a good trench site with a pinned front is best.

Well, you're just full of yourself SSS. I'm SO glad you told all us ignorant handgunners what is best for us.:rolleyes:

Don

1-I had never heard of this one. I dig it.

2-For everybody saying they don’t shoot revolvers DA I have to chuckle as I must be the odd duck who shoots his revolvers DA at least 90%. Of the time. I might kick off a cylinder single action at the end of a range session but even that isn’t super likely. Different strokes.....:)

FWIW, despite the "teenie tiny screws with teenie tiny threads" associated with it's adjustable sights, the 2.5" barrel Model 19 was standard issue to Special Agents of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service as well as Patrol Agents of the U.S. Border Patrol working plain clothes assignments.

Don

My gun safe would beg to differ. I have a single revolver (Ruger GP100 six inch stainless) and over 20 semiautos. Enjoy your new gun, but I would change the title of the thread to best gun for you.

You know, there is a big difference between “the best handgun ever made” and “I like this handgun for me.”

I’ve worked hard and been lucky enough in life to own just about every handgun I ever had an interest in. It’s my hobby and with luck, inflation, and a little luck with my trades this hobby has been a lot less costly than golf or a bass boat.

If you ever get a chance to spend a day at the range with a handgun customized by a master pistolsmith (perhaps American Pistolsmith Guild member) you’ll have your eyes opened to what is possible.

“The best cheeseburger in the world” is not a Whopper. “The best car in the world” isn’t sold at a dealership.

QUALITY is something you don’t know is missing until you experience something better.

Sure, cost matters. Unlike Elvis, who bought a new Cadillac every time the ash tray got full, I prefer a reliable car that I know how to fix. A few scratches and dents relieve my mind if we drop a canoe on the hood or the dog gets mud in the back. That’s best for me. But I have been pinned to the seat and thrashed around a racecourse in a local champ’s lovingly custom built race car... you have to experience it to feel the difference.

You got a nice little pistol there. A custom pistol smith has something to work with now... when you decide something better is worth it.

I don't get it... It's like the worst of all worlds. Too large to carry easily and too small to shoot easily. And it's got the looks to match all that functionality.

The one you have in hand when you really need it!

All else is just personal preference.

Aarond

Aarond has struck the nail upon the flat part!

Dave

Back