Target 9mm?

Two years ago when I made a trip back home to ND I was shooting with my nephew. We had a tombstone steel target at 100 yds and once I got the sight picture managed about a 50% hit ratio with my LC9s. Crazy thing is, it was a combat hold sight picture. I was having an extremely good day and managed to impress my nephew and his friends. I did even better with his Glock 10mm. But still not as good as I could do 30+ years ago with my .41mag model 57. The point I’m making is, with a large target like this it doesn’t take that perfect of a pistol, just practice or luck depending on what day it is.

I have the CZ Racing Green and would highly recommend it but, sadly it was discontinued. I'm not sure sure what part of the Orange "race gun" purpose your not keen on but it would make a fine choice.

The Sig P210 has always been held in good esteem for accuracy as well and I believe the prices for either of those CZ or the Sig are similar. I think the local shop here has a 210 for $1899. I wouldn't mind having that one too.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Just the whole 'tactical' speed shooting thing. I used to do IPSC style competition but lately I just want something highly accurate and simple without all the flared magwells, 20rd mags, attachment points for optics, huge ambi safeties etc.

Is a 9mm?
Strange, mine isn't but I haven't tried a wadcutter at 100 yards.
And I wouldn't sell it for the price of a CZ, either.

I may be looking to get a target 9mm here soon, something that will reliably hit a 2.5' steel target at 100 yards if I do my part.

While the OP mentions a "target 9mm" the standard he says he's looking for, "reliably hit a 2.5 foot plate at 100 yds" does not require a match grade (and ultra expensive) target pistol.

Fair sights, decent trigger, consistent ammo and most of all shooter practice will get him what he's after.

Put another way, a $500 gun and $1500 of ammo used in serious practice will get you ahead of just buying a $2000 gun.

I love the S&W 52 and I have three of them.

I don't believe a 700fps .38 Wadcutter is going to be fantastic for 100 yard shooting. Best I could come up with in a ballistic calculator is an estimated drop of 27 inches at 100 yards if you zeroed at 25.

With that said, Clark now produces a 52 barrel with a rifling twist rate that would probably improve it for this.

No matter how much it is, if drop is a constant, a skilled shooter can compensate for it.

Wind, on the other hand isn't a constant, and can be a challenge...:D

Low velocity rounds are still quite capable of hits at long range, if the shooter knows how to "lob" them in there...:D

There is quite a range of 9mm pistols that have the mechanical precision to do what you ask. Some, relatively inexpensive, 9mm pistols can do it. But it is fun and relaxing to me to shoot pistols that will easily do what you're looking for. The US SIG 210as have gone up in price, but it appears they can still be obtained rather reasonably used. The 210s, no matter if Swiss, German or US manufacture, are easily capable of the precision you are looking for. BAC has them all, but some very accurate 9s I have experience with are the SIG 210s and X-5, S&W 952s, HK USP Expert, some 9mm 1911s, FN/Browning Hi Power GP Comp, etc. I would suggest something something hammer fired, metal framed, with adjustable sights..

I have some .45 ACPs that meet your accuracy requirements, but no way to get around it, you have to start figuring hold over with these lower velocity cartridges...

Here's a few SAO target 9mms that I think are amazing shooters for around $2000+or- a couple hundred.

Sig P210A Target, Dan Wesson DWX, CZC A01-LD, Sig P226 X-Five Classic, CZ TS Orange

Edit: Sorry I just saw the price of the A01. The other four are great options in the price range I mentioned. The A01 is the nicest of the group, as it should be considering its price.

Last edited:
remember it goes backwards from the target. its the way I teach.

so, identify the:

target
the distance
the round
the gun
the training
the shooter

good luck!

I don't believe a 700fps .38 Wadcutter is going to be fantastic for 100 yard shooting. Best I could come up with in a ballistic calculator is an estimated drop of 27 inches at 100 yards if you zeroed at 25

I don't understand the worries about "drop."
Adjust the frickin' sights.

Mmmm hmmm.

I don't understand the worries about "drop."
Adjust the frickin' sights.

I'm not at all worried about drop. Once I know what it is, its no worry at all.

Personally, even when I have adjustable sights, I never adjust them for long range shooting. I just adjust my "aim" with the sight setting I have.

This method works with all open sights, adjustable or fixed.

Back