Taking your gun off in the car

I find it hard to believe that all of you with a permit had not packed before you got the permit.

Well believe it. If I didn't intend to comply with the law, I wouldn't have bothered to get a permit. I did however carry in my vehicle prior, with my pistol "securely encased" as the law states, which is legal in Florida.

So you went through all of the trouble of getting a permit before you even knew what it was like to carry?

Precisely. I wouldn't however, consider it "trouble" to go through the process of getting a permit. It was done all in one afternoon at a gun show. I found it quite informative and to the point. The worst part was having my mug shot taken.

Money comes before principles?

By asking I assume your answer to this question would be "No". So that must be a yes to my original question. Principles before Your money?

Not only do I remove my weapon when parked, I have even been known to change my pants in my car.:rolleyes:

I was scheduled to testify as an expert wittness in Federal Court one year. I went to the courthouse about 20 minutes before I was scheduled. Off came the belt and holster (which was then locked in the console) and then the jeans.:eek: On with the slacks and belt, all with people wandering around the parking lot. Nobody really cares.:cool:

Went in, testified, came out, changed and re-armed again. No issue. BTW, I didn't park right by the elevator, I did go to the end of a row.

I find it hard to believe that all of you with a permit had not packed before you got the permit.

Actually it's illegal to purchase a handgun in New York State without a pistol permit so there would be no way to carry before receiving one's permit. Also an illegal handgun calls for a mandatory one year prison term.

I just remove my firearm when I park and use a magazine or hat, if need be, to cover it as I put it in the glove box or console. Yep, and I've also changed my pants in the truck.

Precisely. I wouldn't however, consider it "trouble" to go through the process of getting a permit. It was done all in one afternoon at a gun show. I found it quite informative and to the point. The worst part was having my mug shot taken.
I didnt know that it was that easy to get a permit.
It seems like I have read about it taking over a month.
Maybe I was thinking about a full auto or silencer permit.
Do you agree with the 21 min age requirement?

Courthouse faux pas

Hello, y'all. My first post. I had to register just to tell you all this one.

About 3 years ago I had to go to the Broward County Courthouse. At the time I had a Beretta 8045 (that I REALLY REALLY liked) and, of course, a CCL.

My practice, at the time, when going to places I knew disallowed CC was to unload the gun and lock it in the glove box. I figured better to come back and find a BG departing with it unloaded than loaded. So, of course, I'd put the clip in my back pocket and go about my business.

I was getting a RO, and the procedure is so that you go twice during the day (unless you want to wait there two hours, and it's not that entertaining of a place). First trip, I went in the main entrance downstairs. Empty all the metal stuff from my pockets, including the clip. Some official or another sees the clip in the little plastic bin on the x-ray belt and grabs it. He says I can't take it into the courthouse, but he'll bag it for me and I can pick it up at this little stand where two deputies watch the lobby.

I get my business done and go to that stand, and, sure enough, I get my clip back.

That afternoon, I go to pick up the TRO. Instead of going downstairs (the parking garage was fuller, so I was upstairs instead of ground floor), I took the 2nd floor flyover to get to the courthouse. There I found another entrance inspection station.

I know the drill, so I empty my pockets. Suddenly, lots of eyebrows go up and a deputy approaches me, takes the clip, and asks "what is this?". I ask him if he can hold it for me while I'm inside and says he most certainly cannot. I explain that that had been done earlier. As we're talking, more deputies show up and are chattering about the situation. One leaves.

After a minute it is explained that I'll have to take it back to my car. So I'm putting all my stuff back in my pockets and as I'm about to start walking back to the garage, the deputy who left returns.

He stops me and says he knows why I was allowed to have my clip stored earlier. The guys downstairs simply assumed I was in law enforcement.

Most of the guys present found it good for a laugh. But I did have to leave the clip in the car.

Another time I went to a nightclub. I followed the same practice, separate the gun/clip with the latter in my rear pocket. At the door they were patting everyone down, for drugs, I guess. The lady doing the patting touches the clip and asks "what's this?" I answer "it's my clip". She didn't even ask to see it. Maybe she thought I meant money clip. I was allowed in with it.

As long as it's not a bunch of teens or someone who looks like they will break into your vehicle while your gone, I don't care. Your being paranoid, if you do it in one easy motion, they probably would have no idea what your doing.

Peeweester40 sez:
czc3513 sez:
I didn't know that it was that easy to get a permit.

I don't mean to get off topic but you guys are fortunate. I've carried for 30 years and it took me 7 months to get my CCW permit and then only after hours of safety classes, references, interviews, fingerprints, pictures, background checks, both local and federal and approximately $200. Also if I want to purchase a handgun I must show my permit at time of purchase and then I have 10 days to report to the pistol permit office where they record the Make, Model & Serial Number in their files also recording it on the back of my permit. In other words, they have a list of every handgun that I own, complete with serial numbers. They even charge a fee to "register" that handgun! My permit is "good until revoked" or until they see fit to take it and all my handguns with it. After all they have a complete list of each and every one of them. You talk about someones rights being trampled! In New York State they consider it a privilege not a right to own a firearm.:mad:

Hello Invention_45,
Welcome to The Firingline. Wow, quite a story about your clip. I didn't know it was illegal to carry around ammunition in Florida. In Texas there is no law against it (unless you are in an airport where it is considered an "explosive"), but I just leave my speedloaders or clip in the car just to avoid attention when metal detectors and all that junk are involved.

I didnt know that it was that easy to get a permit.

I had fullfilled all of my requirements in one afternoon. After having my picture taken and leaving the CCW class, I had to go to the police station to get fingerprinted. I think Florida has to issue (with correct and clean applications) within 90 days of receipt of CCW issue info. I recieved mine in about 40 days. I absoluetly agree with the 21 minimum age requirement. I just wish it were required for marriage too. :rolleyes:

wow, I see someone is headed to the school of hard knocks. Now I understand why the bar needs to be higher. :eek:

Thanks for the welcome, Doug...

Legality of carrying ammunition is something I haven't really researched, so I don't know. I don't remember running across any statutes covering it, though, and I've read them to death since our self-defense (SYG) laws changed recently.

I think that it's just because it was the courthouse. They can do pretty much whatever they want there, and I guess their attitude is that you can file an appeal if you don't like it. I'm guessing the occupants (judges, SA, etc.) make the rules.

To give you an idea, on the boilerplate part of a RO, either temporary or permanent, is the commandment that the respondent (meaning the stalking creep, but that's another issue) is prohibited by law to not be in possession of any firearm OR ammunition while the order is in effect.

The law, by the way, only specifies this to be the case after the PERMANENT RO has been issued, but since there's no hearing before the TRO is issued, it's sort of hard to argue against it.

Back to taking the gun off in the car. I'm just getting used to carrying again after a 2 year break (long stalking-related story that I'll spare yall on this thread). I have a really nice hard leather in-pants holster I bought specifically for my Cougar .45 when I had it. I snipped a few threads and it works OK for the HK-USP.

On the one hand, it's a heck of a lot easier to grab it from the glove box in an emergency than to wrestle it out of the holster when all settled in. But, on the other hand, playing the game of removing it from the glove box and cramming it past the seat belt (even when undone the belt has a protruding part from the seat that is in the way) and into the somewhat-squished-shut holster is kind of awkward in a busy Publix parking lot.

The result is that I've had that same experience...waiting for the rare moment when nobody's waiting to park behind me, loading their groceries, getting out of their car or something else to transfer the gun without being seen.

I suspect part of the problem is the USP is on the big side for a CC weapon. But I intentionally picked it that way. I think with time I'll get it all worked out, and I hit what I'm aiming at with it a lot better than with any of the compact .45s that I tried.

Nscale,

I understand your position, but take this into consideration: getting caught carrying now could make it impossible for you to get a permit when you do get your debt straightened out. It might even keep you from even legally owning a gun in the future.

Why not get a Florida permit? PDO is down again so I can't check, but I don't remember there being any stipulations on outstanding debts.

joe

Wow ---

People sure do worry about strange things!!! Some people wih their CCW must be so scared with flashing it or so forth that they must walk around as obvious as day to anyone with the slightest bit of training or experance that something is up. I frequently remove mine sitting in my truck and no one notices or cares --- heck people are so oblivius you could probibly sit there and clean it fro all anyone care --- I was once flased by two women sitting in a parking lot --- I got a call for a phone interview with a reporter just as I was pulling into the grocery store so I'm just sitting there on the phone when this car pulls in across from me and the one must have had a mole or something she wanted the others opinion on --- it was pretty funny becuse they looked up and were obviously mortiifed by the situation.

I rarely clear mine as I have very secure storage in the truck +/- a German Sheppard waiting for my return and I worry that were one to witness the act of loading / unloading that that might be interpreted as agressive or getting ready for something by the sheep out there.

RsqVet sez:
People sure do worry about strange things!!! Some people with their CCW must be so scared with flashing it.

That is not the case at all. In New York State concealed means just that, out of sight totally and completely out of sight at all times! That means you cannot flash your handgun or give someone a "peek" to scare them or to show them you are a "tough" guy. If someone sees you handling your firearm it's their prerogative to call the police and report you as "someone with a gun" and in todays climate that's very possible. That's why when I'm carrying I don't want anyone to know.

BTW, If I'm not mistaken, not only is it illegal to take a firearm into the court house or any other government building but it is also illegal to take a firearm onto government property including their parking lot!

BTW, If I'm not mistaken, not only is it illegal to take a firearm into the court house or any other government building but it is also illegal to take a firearm onto government property including their parking lot!

To my understanding, in Texas anyway, the prohibition of carrying on government (state or Federal) property (schools, courthouses, city halls, capitols) does not apply to parking lots, driveways and sidewalks.

Doug.38PR,

Different states different laws but however, as far as Federal law goes, when I go to the VA hospital, I've been reminded to not even have a weapon in my truck, no weapons on federal property, period! Maybe that's just a misinterpretation of the law but that's what I was told by the security officer at the VAMC and that's all it takes to have my permit revoked, permanently!

RiverRat --

I am not suggesting sloppy concelment, however if one walks around scared to death of a break in concellment that is as obvious to many having the gun exposed --- you may have seen this --- people tuggging at shirts, looking down, patting the weapon, adjustments, etc. and etc. True it's the public sheep's perogitive to summon LE if they see a weapon and want to freak however a relaxed opps and a wink will likely avoid that in all but the most rabit anti's while if I see someone obviously nervus with a weapon I go on alert and start lookng real close at their actions --- conceled or not as we are an open carry state.

Back