"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

Quote:
Ben Dover Dogtown Tom, I suppose I misunderstood your post.

I was thinking of defending my home, not clearing a building in Baghdad..
Explain the difference.

One is defensive in nature, the other offensive. Offense works (and is allowed) in a war zone, not in a HD/SD scenario.

Usually what works for an offensive weapon also works for a defensive weapon.

No one who's ever been in a gunfight said they wished they had less ammo.

FITASC. One is defensive in nature, the other offensive. Offense works (and is allowed) in a war zone, not in a HD/SD scenario.
Horsehockey.
Clearing a building is clearing a building.
Clearing a room is clearing a room.
It doesnt matter if you are a homeowner, a police officer or a Navy SEAL......The techniques are the same, only the firearms may be different.

Ben Dover. Dogtown Tom.If you don't understand the difference, I doubt that anyone can explain it to you.
By all means try. ;)
Your response indicates YOU don't have a clue as to whether there is a difference.

Offensive...
Defensive...

Once there is a tgt in front of you that need to be shot, its all the same.

Ive done both in my professional career. It the part that leads up to the shooting that differs

Horsehockey.
Clearing a building is clearing a building.
Clearing a room is clearing a room.
It doesnt matter if you are a homeowner, a police officer or a Navy SEAL......The techniques are the same, only the firearms may be different.

Horsehockey back at you - clearing a room is offensive and can get you arrested for taking action. Hunkering down, behind the bed, pointing the muzzle at the door and calling 911 is a defensive maneuver

clearing a room is offensive and can get you arrested for taking action.

That seems like a legal statement without factual backing. Especially in States with a "castle doctrine" in place.

Should i decide to investigate that bump in the night (maybe not the smartest plan) in my home, i doubt it would be judged "offensive" and a legal issue result from THAT action. How i handle what i find is another issue.

FITASC. Horsehockey back at you - clearing a room is offensive and can get you arrested for taking action. Hunkering down, behind the bed, pointing the muzzle at the door and calling 911 is a defensive maneuver.
Oh good grief.
Where do you live that repelling a home invader INSIDE YOUR OWN HOME requires you to hunker down behind the bed? :rolleyes:

What if you have kids in another part of your home? Just hollar out "hunker down kiddos...the bad men will be gone in a little bit!"

You obviously are ignorant of Castle Doctrine laws as well as what is legal in most states.

Silliest.Argument.Ever.

Oh good grief.
Where do you live that repelling a home invader INSIDE YOUR OWN HOME requires you to hunker down behind the bed?

What if you have kids in another part of your home? Just hollar out "hunker down kiddos...the bad men will be gone in a little bit!"

You obviously are ignorant of Castle Doctrine laws as well as what is legal in most states.

Silliest.Argument.Ever.

dogtown tom, not everyone reading this board lives in America. some live [by choice] in communist bastions.

"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

Horsehockey back at you - clearing a room is offensive and can get you arrested for taking action. Hunkering down, behind the bed, pointing the muzzle at the door and calling 911 is a defensive maneuver

Just to put this out there...it is your home. The only states that may punish you for doing the right thing would be California and New York. It is your home, and there are circumstances where you may need to clear it. As in...family in the building type of thing. Are you not in the United States?

I live in the US in a state that pushed Castle Doctrine and SYG. That said, going on the offensive when there is no threat will get you in trouble. If there are folks elsewhere, that is one thing. That scenario was not spelled out in the original drift post in this thread.

FITASC I live in the US in a state that pushed Castle Doctrine and SYG. That said, going on the offensive when there is no threat will get you in trouble.
No one has mentioned "going on the offensive" but YOU. The thread is clearly about self defense in one's HOME. No one has advocated room clearing in random strangers homes.

And now you bring up "going on the offensive when there is no threat.."
WHAT THE HECK are you talking about? :rolleyes: If you don't consider someone invading your home as a threat.......good grief man.:confused:

The OP and everyone else in this thread (but you) understand that intruders in their home IS A THREAT. You feel that the homeowner should hunker down behind the bed and call 911. That's a great idea until you think about what an intruder (or intruders) could do to your home, your property or........your family while you wait for the police to arrive. How long is your LE response time? The average police response time is TEN MINUTES.

I'm sure most would consider an intruder in the home to be a threat and dealt with accordingly.

If you think clearing rooms IN YOUR HOME is going on the "offensive" I pity your family.

No one has mentioned "going on the offensive" but YOU. The thread is clearly about self defense in one's HOME. No one has advocated room clearing in random strangers homes.

And now you bring up "going on the offensive when there is no threat.."

WHAT THE HECK are you talking about? :rolleyes: If you don't consider someone invading your home as a threat.......good grief man.:confused:

The OP and everyone else in this thread (but you) understand that intruders in their home IS A THREAT. You feel that the homeowner should hunker down behind the bed and call 911. That's a great idea until you think about what an intruder (or intruders) could do to your home, your property or........your family while you wait for the police to arrive. How long is your LE response time? The average police response time is TEN MINUTES.

I'm sure most would consider an intruder in the home to be a threat and dealt with accordingly.

If you think clearing rooms IN YOUR HOME is going on the "offensive" I pity your family.

The thread is actually about the setup for a tactical/home defense shotgun. The things you want and don't want. The shotgun setup is probably not going to be much different between offense and defense. Maybe a little?

Yeah this thread has really gone off the rails. It's not about tactics. I'll say my piece about waiting vs seeking out the threat.

Unless there is a life or death reason (i.e. Children in another room) room clearing by yourself is VERY foolish. If 6 years in the Marine Corps and 2 in law enforcement have taught me anything it is that you DO NOT clear rooms by yourself. Two officers/Marines is the bare minimum but even then I've been in situations where I wished I had more people. Three is enough to handle most situations and four is the perfect room clearing team size IMO.

Also, take into account that if you go Jack Bauering around your house without identifying yourself you could wind up shooting someone you don't want to. If you have a teenager it could be their significant other sneaking into your home. Or it could be the severely inebriated next door neighbor who thought he found his home instead of yours. The possibilities are endless and you don't want to live with the guilt of taking an innocent person's life, whether the law says you acted reasonably or not. If you DO go Jack Bauering around your house AND you identify yourself you are just asking to get shot/bonked in the head when you enter the next room. The keys to surviving CQB are speed, surprise, and violence of action. Lose any one of those and your plan is screwed.

If you have children and don't have line of sight with their bed room doors from yours that throws a huge wrench into the sit and wait plan. Your best bet, if possible, would be to gather the family in one location, be it a kid's room or yours, and then sit and wait. Always identify yourself, state that you have called the police (stating that you are armed, IMO, could backfire) and wait for the threat to enter a fatal funnel (doorway or hallway).

Property is not worth going room clearing solo for. Room clearing solo is considered by professionals to be suicide. It doesn't matter if you are the most experienced Delta operator in the history of EVAR!!!! You still can't enter a room and have a gun covering every corner instantaneously solo. Legally speaking, in a castle doctrine state the law generally allows you to deal with a threat however you choose if it is on your property unwelcome, that includes room clearing. But as I said, room clearing solo when it's not necessary is Freakin Stupid, like Darwin Award Stupid.

That's my piece about bump in the night tactics, that's all I'm going to say about it. Now can we get back to shotguns?

Last edited:
If you are willing to practice with it get a light, extended tube, side saddle, etc.
I stopped using a shotgun for HD when I stopped shooting clays.
My recommendation, if you aren't going to practice with a dedicated gun, is to get #4 buckshot for your most suitable clays gun you shoot a lot, maybe change the barrel, and have at it.

My set-up was my semi-ato clays gun with a rifled 20" barrel. Shortest barrel I had on hand and spreads the pattern pretty fast.

Back