"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

Seriously, whenever someone calls a weapon mounted light a mall ninja add on they loose all credibility in my book. For self defense being able to accurately identify your target is key. I have multiple shotguns and my 590 is set up without heat shield or sling and loaded with buckshot. I dont do side saddles and if I need reloads I keep them in a pocket or such.

Ben Dover ...Forget reloading. If you need more than five rounds of buckshot, you'll be dead anyway.
Terrible advice.
If "five rounds" were enough then everyone would be armed with a J frame. Thinking five rounds will be all you need is based on an assumption that you will only confront one intruder at nearly point blank range. That's poor planning.

I've never seen anyone who finished a gunfight complain about how many rounds were left in the magazine.:rolleyes:

Seriously, whenever someone calls a weapon mounted light a mall ninja add on they loose all credibility in my book. For self defense being able to accurately identify your target is key

I disagree as it all depends on your home, who lives in it, and where they are in relation to where you are. I have zero kids in the house and enough ambient light coming in from street lights and all of the "voltage vampires" in MY house, that the added weight of a light on the barrel is more of a hindrance than a help.
So take me off your credibility list - but then, anyone who makes blanket statements like yours loses all credibility in MY book..................:rolleyes:

Code:
I disagree as it all depends on your home, who lives in it, and where they are in relation to where you are. I have zero kids in the house and enough ambient light coming in from street lights and all of the "voltage vampires" in MY house, that the added weight of a light on the barrel is more of a hindrance than a help.
So take me off your credibility list - but then, anyone who makes blanket statements like yours loses all credibility in MY book..................

Its not a blanket statement its sound theory. Saying weapon mounted lights in general are mall ninja/useless is making a blanket statement. Extra added weight? My surefire light literally weights nothing and could be duct taped to the gun.

YOU are the one making blanket statements - and many do not agree with you - oh well, get over it.
Put that light on a scale and take a photo showing me it weighs nothing; adding even a few ounces on the end of a barrel DOES have a major effect on barrel swing - that is simple physics

adding even a few ounces on the end of a barrel DOES have a major effect on barrel swing - that is simple physics

Yes, but "barrel Swing" on a DEFENSIVE shotgun is meaningless. Even running mtpl tgt drills the weight of a reasonable tac light doesnt effect anything

I don't need to get over anything, I have strong opinions on the subject is all. My living situation is similar to yours but I made sure my roommate had a quality light. You can't guarantee you'll have visible like and it takes that one time you don't to make a mistake. I also night hunt with lights so it's not that odd to me.

Assuming having a home defense shotgun will be for indoor use, how about just turning on the house lights?
Going outside looking for trouble, and abandoning a safe indoor position, is not a recommendation without a real good reason.
So the outside darkness can be ignored.
Turning on the indoor lights takes all the mystery out of who's there and where, without giving away position.
Anyone find fault with that idea?

Uhhh... Yeah

Not to be the back side of a mule, but...

Having been a "low light" tactics instructor for years and taken a bunch of training at the Sure-fire institute, i do disagree with the "just turn on the room lights" thought.

Even if your house is set up with switches that allow that as an option, or you have the ability to remotly turn on the lights, at best you have give up an advantage.

The ability to remain in the dark and have your advasary facing into blinding white light is not one to give up. Ive done countless hours of force on force training (and more then a few real situations) where i have seen from both sides the power a bright light (handheld or WML) brings to the table.

Forget the searching part of the equation. Being able to hunker down at the end of a dark hallway and control a blinding white light aimed down range is a HUGE tactical advantage

Simply turning on the house lights makes the playing field level...im not looking for a fair fight. I want to dominate the environment and overwhelm my adversary.

Now, in most HD situations simply turning on the house lights may scare off the avg thief looking to steal something to finance his drug habit. What if the intruder is not that avg thief? An angry Ex-husband intent on hurting his ex-wife, someone looking to fulfill a sick fantasy, a serial killer that has picked you as his next victim...this stuff happens, watch the news.

Im not giving up ANY advantage i have, or can get. I dont fight fair, i fight to win..by any means necessary.

Assuming having a home defense shotgun will be for indoor use, how about just turning on the house lights?
Going outside looking for trouble, and abandoning a safe indoor position, is not a recommendation without a real good reason.
So the outside darkness can be ignored.
Turning on the indoor lights takes all the mystery out of who's there and where, without giving away position.

good thinking, thank you; I thought I was the only person wondering this.

I have "night lights" throughout my house. seeing who is there is quite easy. of course I have an alarm with battery backup and a yappy dog... so its not like somebody will "sneak" in my house unbeknownst to me.

Among other modifications, Tom Givens (Rangemaster) advises a shorter stock for defensive shotguns. He says the stock length of pull on most shotguns is too long and not optimal for most people. He also recommends rifle sights for all shotguns. If you ever get a chance to take his course, I highly recommend it. He's a true expert.

He says the stock length of pull on most shotguns is too long and not optimal for most people. He also recommends rifle sights for all shotguns

I will disagree. the LOP on most shotguns is designed for "average" folks, so unless you are very short or have a large barrel chest physique, the LOP can actually be too short. Rifle sights for HD really are not necessary, as distances are not that long (unless you live in a REALLY large house).

I am neither "very short or have a barrel chested physique..", yet my Mossberg 500 has the Hogue 12" lop stock.
I wanted very short overall length for easy handling indoors. It works very well for me.

Dogtown Tom,

If you can't stop two or three assailants with five rounds of BUCKSHOT you've got bigger problems than reloading.

Ben Dover Dogtown Tom,
If you can't stop two or three assailants with five rounds of BUCKSHOT you've got bigger problems than reloading.
And having only five rounds helps fix those bigger problems how?:rolleyes:

You seem to think those "two or three assailants" are unarmed, at point blank range, not wearing body armor and standing upright in an exposed position.
Sure, one hit center mass would stop nearly everyone....but you fail to consider whether the assailant even has his center mass exposed.

Your "five rounds is enough" is a dangerous and silly theory.
Having spare rounds and being skilled at reloading is not dangerous and silly.

"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

Realistically your chances are super low to be attacked, then attacked by 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on. Of course that is just statistics of what HAS happened to others. I will toss in my 2 cents and try NOT to offend people lol.

You SHOULD have a way of managing a light, you don't know if you will be able to control the light. Be that from a hallway, closet, or just the entire house. Personally? I have the advantage where I live because anyone coming in is lit from behind (street and so on) and I am in the dark. No light needed. But there is one that I can use.

You SHOULD have some kind of sighting mechanism, but rifle sights? Not needed, but nice to have if you are shooting slugs (I won't be). Personally I am not an optic fan, but a nice glowing bead is nice. I'm a wing shooter and turkey hunter. So a shotgun to me doesn't really "aim," but at the same time it does. So I see both camps. Aiming and snap shooting are 2 different skills and need to be practiced. You better make sure your sights can handle both without hurting the other. The best sights I ever had were some off brand sights for a 20 gauge, low profile rear, bright front. Could duck hunt with them and turkey hunt.

And believe it or not? My current 20 gauge single shot that I slaughter clays/dove with and keep in the closet? No sights. Not even a bead. I've shot that thing so many times that it is a reflex as normal as pointing my finger. It is my only long gun right now in my place. The 870 20 is now my sister's turkey gun lol.

As for length? I want short and a 20 gauge is fine. Granted if I can get a 12 in the same length? Awesome. But right now my 12 has a 28 inch barrel. No thanks. I'll keep some buck with my 20 and that'll do.

Last edited:
Back