"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

My brother has what would be the best type of shotgun for Home defense.
It's called a Winchester Defender...................got 20" barrel and a mag that hold about 9-10 rounds. No light, no fancy bunch of junk hanging off it.....just plain old basic riot gun!
Some times less is more!:D

"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

My brother has what would be the best type of shotgun for Home defense.

It's called a Winchester Defender...................got 20" barrel and a mag that hold about 9-10 rounds. No light, no fancy bunch of junk hanging off it.....just plain old basic riot gun!

Some times less is more!:D

So you really disagree with having a light? Controlling the light is important.

I would say I like to keep it simple but my HD shotgun is a KSG loaded with 24 rounds of Aguila mini buck and sporting a Magpul stubby grip and sights.

I will disagree. the LOP on most shotguns is designed for "average" folks, so unless you are very short or have a large barrel chest physique, the LOP can actually be too short. Rifle sights for HD really are not necessary, as distances are not that long (unless you live in a REALLY large house).

I have too little experience with shotguns to argue the LOP question authoritatively but I can share my experience. He recommends a 12.5"-13" (or shorter) for most people. I followed his advice and mounted a Magpul stock on my 870 Police Magnum (factory is 14" LOP, I think) before taking his class. After lots of fiddling with spacers I settled on 13" LOP and immediately noticed how much easier it was to square up to the target, move, and manage recoil. I didn't expect 1" to make such a big difference. Conversely, <12.5" was too short and put stress on my neck. I'm 6', 190lb. YMMV.

Rifle sights are not a "must have" but after easily putting slugs on target from 75-100 yards (another surprise), why not give yourself that flexibility? If I had to do it over, I'd have rifle sights on both my shotguns.

I have too little experience with shotguns to argue the LOP question authoritatively but I can share my experience. He recommends a 12.5"-13" (or shorter) for most people. I followed his advice and mounted a Magpul stock on my 870 Police Magnum (factory is 14" LOP, I think) before taking his class. After lots of fiddling with spacers I settled on 13" LOP and immediately noticed how much easier it was to square up to the target, move, and manage recoil. I didn't expect 1" to make such a big difference. Conversely, <12.5" was too short and put stress on my neck. I'm 6', 190lb. YMMV.

Rifle sights are not a "must have" but after easily putting slugs on target from 75-100 yards (another surprise), why not give yourself that flexibility? If I had to do it over, I'd have rifle sights on both my shotguns.

That is how I feel on the bottom. To me a shotgun is supposed to be an all around weapon. There isn't much else out there that is as versatile. And more important than that is KISS...keep it simple stupid. I'm not a technical wizard. So small rifle sights are perfect.

If I had to do it over, I'd have rifle sights on both my shotguns.

If you only shoot slugs in the gun like a rifle, that is one thing. Shooting at moving targets - whether clay, feathered or human - the last thing you want is rifle sights.

Shooting at moving targets - whether clay, feathered or human - the last thing you want is rifle sights.

Aint quite so...

A good set of ghost ring type sights will make both slug and buckshot hits on human tgts better. A person isnt a bird in flight. Shotgun fights are best entered with a shorter barreled, ghost ring sighted shotgun.

All my years teaching and all the different students gun setups has convinced me of that.

Up close the shotgun needs to be shot with some precision, or you can miss. In the middle distances ghostrings will help center up a buckshot pattern. At the longer distances (when slugs are selected) the ghost rings will be a huge advantage over a plain bead.

A, B and C zones

Aint quite so...

A good set of ghost ring type sights will make both slug and buckshot hits on human tgts better. A person isnt a bird in flight. Shotgun fights are best entered with a shorter barreled, ghost ring sighted shotgun.

All my years teaching and all the different students gun setups has convinced me of that.

Up close the shotgun needs to be shot with some precision, or you can miss. In the middle distances ghostrings will help center up a buckshot pattern. At the longer distances (when slugs are selected) the ghost rings will be a huge advantage over a plain bead.

A, B and C zones

Short range you are shooting soft balls to basketballs. You can still miss with that. Id just stipulate that you still have to shoot with precision

Short range you are shooting soft balls to basketballs. You can still miss with that. Id just stipulate that you still have to shoot with precision

I define "short range" as 0-7 yds with a defensive shotgun. Pellet spread is not significant enough at those distances to make up for poor markenship. I have seen enough shooters MISS inside of 7 yds to know you must reference the aiming somehow.

Ghostrings allow that to happen very fast and not give up the accuracy needed for the longer range slug shots. Best of both worlds kinda thing in my book

there are day glow tubes of some sorts that snap onto the front of your shotgun bbl. various colors from green to red.... great for low light and outstanding in bright light. BTW, this thread is worthless without pix. :p

there are day glow tubes of some sorts that snap onto the front of your shotgun bbl. various colors from green to red.... great for low light and outstanding in bright light. BTW, this thread is worthless without pix. :p

Feel free to drop a few lol. My "tactical" gun is a single shot 20 right now lol. I might as well put up pictures of ugly Betty lol.

Stonewall50,

My KSG has been flawless so far, however, it takes a little learning to figure out how she likes to be handled. You have to abuse the KSG a lot more than other pump shotguns when working the action because of the dual shell stops that have to be tripped. The last 1/4" of travel where the shell stops are tripped requires a little more oomph than the rest of the slides travel so if you baby it then you will fail to feed a new shell from the tube.

It absolutely loves Aguila Mini shells, slug and buck, feeds them somewhat more smoothly than standard shells. And it holds 24 mini buck or 22 mini slug, or 12 and 11 of each.

Stonewall50,

My KSG has been flawless so far, however, it takes a little learning to figure out how she likes to be handled. You have to abuse the KSG a lot more than other pump shotguns when working the action because of the dual shell stops that have to be tripped. The last 1/4" of travel where the shell stops are tripped requires a little more oomph than the rest of the slides travel so if you baby it then you will fail to feed a new shell from the tube.

It absolutely loves Aguila Mini shells, slug and buck, feeds them somewhat more smoothly than standard shells. And it holds 24 mini buck or 22 mini slug, or 12 and 11 of each.

Hm. Seems like I got a gun to add to my list to shoot lol

Haha, I did the math actually, with slugs only you have 1lb, 0.5oz of lead to send down range at 1300fps (Aguila minis are 3/4 oz slugs and the advertised velocity is 1300fps). Kind of impressive. My biggest gripe with it so far is that, in the unlikely event you need to reload, it's a PITA to do quickly.

I'm thinking about doing some 3 gun with it because I don't have another tactical shotgun but my reloads are going to suck.

My KSG has been flawless so far,

Glad yours has, especially with the mini shells. Friend brought his out to club for grins and giggles. EVERYONE had feeding issues with the mini shells. ANother area of concern was the lever to switch from one mag to the other - it was real easy to accidentally move it to the center position which meant your live ammo was ejecting on the the ground and not into the chamber - not good in a HD scenario.

Dogtown Tom, I suppose I misunderstood your post.

I was thinking of defending my home, not clearing a building in Baghdad..:D

- it was real easy to accidentally move it to the center position which meant your live ammo was ejecting on the the ground and not into the chamber - not good in a HD scenario.

Hm, that's funny. When mine is moved to the center it doesn't allow shells to leave either magazine. Either way, Bad in HD. Easily fixed with an Allen wrench. I put a Hi-Tech Gear extended tube selector on mine, properly tensioned it, and have no worries. I've run it in full kit (yes... I have a "kit" for craps and laughs) and never accidentally bumped it.

Back