"Tactical/Self defense Shotgun" Setup

stonewall50

I am just wondering what are some good ideas for setting up a shotgun for self defense in a home. I am a wing shooter and a turkey hunter. So shotguns are normal for me. I have a 20 gauge 870 that has a sleeve on the stock for extra rounds, but I am just wondering about YOUR ideal setup and why you pick the things you do?

And what about shotgun sights?

I believe in KISS.

I prefer an extended mag tube and plain bead front sight.
For additional rounds I prefer a side saddle.

Butt cuffs tend to slide around a bit and eventually the elastic gives out.
Sling bandoliers look cool but are probably the worst way to reload.

Put an 18" barrel on it, buy some #4 buckshot, and practice with it.
You don't need extended magazines, side saddles, lasers, flashlights or headers. Especially headers. You don't really need a short barrel.
All you need is practice.

You don't need extended magazines, side saddles, lasers, flashlights

I would definitely recommend an attached flashlight on any defensive pump shotgun. A hand held light is easy to use with a handgun and its possible to use one with a semi auto longgun...

MUCH harder with a pump gun

I use an old 870 wingmaster that was a police trade in. 20" barrel, extended tube for 9 rounds capacity, 8 round MESA saddle. I don't think all of this is necessary for HD use but I tricked it out for use in some 3 gun matches and feel very comfortable with it as a HD shotgun. I might not need 17 rounds of 12 gauge but I feel good knowing that I can grab this one and defend my home.

What ever the choice of shotgun, practice for self defense.
Wing shooting, hunting and clay bird experience isn't the same thing.
A shotgun training course is best, but at least practice rapid fire on single and multiple targets.
A bunch if clay birds scattered around the backstop works pretty good.
Or clay birds hung on multiple target cardboard backings at various distances and angles from the shooter.

What ever the choice of shotgun, practice for self defense.

Wing shooting, hunting and clay bird experience isn't the same thing.

A shotgun training course is best, but at least practice rapid fire on single and multiple targets.

A bunch if clay birds scattered around the backstop works pretty good.

Or clay birds hung on multiple target cardboard backings at various distances and angles from the shooter.

I disagree here. If you can start hitting report pairs and true doubles on a sporting clay range? Reaction shooting is going to get a lot easier and faster. I think the only 2 things missing from that are 1)firing and moving and 2) reloading. IMHO

I always use the same shotgun no matter what. And 870 for duck, turkey, and sporting clays. I'm not a competitive shooter, so no fancy double or auto loaders for me. Just a strap.

I guess I would agree that shooting clays would be useful combat shotgun practice...but only if you use heavy, high brass field loads, not lighter clay loads.

Shooting full power buckshot and slug doesn't bear much resemblance to shooting clays.
My Mossberg 500, with it's 12" lop Hogue stock and 18" barrel, is very short and light. My advise is to keep it simple, and shoot a bunch of cheap buckshot. get used to operating the weapon and putting lead on target.
I've been shooting Estate 00 and S&B 00 and #4 mainly. I've also been shooting the FliteControl loads.
Currently, my Mossberg is loaded with FliteControl #1, which is lower recoil and shoots great.

Last edited:
I think the only 2 things missing from that are 1)firing and moving and 2) reloading.
The regular use of the shotgun for hunting and sport definitely add to one's usage skills.
And are undeniable very important for that for sure.
But there is so much more to it, as those who have attended a defensive training class can testify.
Their usual reaction is "I had no idea what I didn't know."

same, nearly

My turkey guns, are my house guns, or nearly so. When not in season, I pull the gobbler choke, screw in a modified,and add a mag extension. Buckshot for the load, and I warble between #4B and OO.

Both have rifle type bead and blade sights , the Mossberg has a 24" tube, the Rem a 20" slug barrel that takes chokes. I've been known to shoot a small amount of 3 gun with either when so set up. When in HD role, one or the other is in "cruiser ready" mode. I lock it in the safe when not at home.

I also have an import 12 ga coach gun that sees duty in the HD/SD role, occassionally. Fairly compact and it can stow a lot of places the pumps cannot.

There's a .410 single barrel at the mud room back door, with bird shot, for snakes.

I have a few shotguns, and half of them can lend themselves to defensive applications. My go-to is my Mossberg 500 Persuader. The wooden furniture has been replaced with synthetic, added a heat shield (alright, mostly cosmetic), a side saddle, and an oversized front gold bead sight.

But its the ability to attach a bayonet that sells it.:D

Shooting at moving targets is excellent practice - the bad guys aren't going to be standing still; and shooting moving targets with stocks and barrels too short is usually not productive in trying to hit them.
Others have said it before - KISS is your friend; the more "stuff" you hang on the gun, especially the barrel, makes it that much heavier and unwieldy.

Unless you have family members on the opposite side of the house, you should be hunkering down, pointing at the door and calling 911.

JMO, YMMV

The regular use of the shotgun for hunting and sport definitely add to one's usage skills.

And are undeniable very important for that for sure.

But there is so much more to it, as those who have attended a defensive training class can testify.

Their usual reaction is "I had no idea what I didn't know."

And that is exactly it. I DON'T know what I am missing. So all I can practice is what I do know. And hitting rapidly moving clays, birds, and 45 yard turkeys is about it. And I'm good at the above (maybe not the best, but good...shot an 88 of 100 at a sporting clay range).

One major thing I am in the dark on is setup. What I know about a shotgun is that if it doesn't have a sling...it should. But that is for hunting purposes. But I do appreciate the advice and I am browsing for shotgun courses in my area.

Ps

I hope I didn't come off as a jerk? Lol

My turkey guns, are my house guns, or nearly so. When not in season, I pull the gobbler choke, screw in a modified,and add a mag extension. Buckshot for the load, and I warble between #4B and OO.

Both have rifle type bead and blade sights , the Mossberg has a 24" tube, the Rem a 20" slug barrel that takes chokes. I've been known to shoot a small amount of 3 gun with either when so set up. When in HD role, one or the other is in "cruiser ready" mode. I lock it in the safe when not at home.

I also have an import 12 ga coach gun that sees duty in the HD/SD role, occassionally. Fairly compact and it can stow a lot of places the pumps cannot.

There's a .410 single barrel at the mud room back door, with bird shot, for snakes.

I live in an apartment complex. So I don't keep any of my good shotguns there. I just don't have the room for a safe. I keep my 20 gauge in the closet. Just a single shot with buck and bird shot. Buck is up first though. Odds are I would grab my 9mm if I need a gun anyway.

Get an 18 inch barrel and a box of #4 Buckshot and practice.

Forget reloading. If you need more than five rounds of buckshot, you'll be dead anyway.

shot an 88 of 100 at a sporting clay range).

Your location says Gainesville - go shoot Bradford's West course, especially during a tournament. A nice mix of close and not so close with deceptive targets moving in differing paths - much like a couple of bad guys in the house.

Your location says Gainesville - go shoot Bradford's West course, especially during a tournament. A nice mix of close and not so close with deceptive targets moving in differing paths - much like a couple of bad guys in the house.

I was unaware there was a sporting clays that close. Got family up that way too. And now we are gonna plan a sporting clays trip there lol.

Back