Substantial DEEP concealment

I think Paul Harrell makes a very good point when he says "Only you can decide what's best for you". He also tends to say things like "Nothing I say here should be taken as a recommendation".

Regarding deep concealment, I like the Crossbreed modular belly band a lot. Notice that it has kydex holster shells for different guns and that the band wraps around the holster. That not only adds versatility, but also increases safety and security of the weapon. The trigger is covered with stiff kydex for protection against AD and the gun is not going to fall out of the holster if it is used properly.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/modular-systems/belly-band.html

We've all seen the videos of the guns falling out of holsters in public and the guy who had an in-holster AD when he leaned up against a counter. Don't be that person.

Last edited:
I won't comment on the ethics of the posed scenario, but to the mechanics of it, the 3 Speed Holster works well for deep concealment, although it's a bit bulky and has a lot of material. It's custom fitted to your particular model.

For DEEP concealment, you wear it low so that the entire holster disappears down the front of your pants. Tuck the shirt in behind the holster, and to draw, you pull the belt out with one hand and shove the other hand literally down into your pants to draw the gun.

From my experience, you either need a very small gun (like LCP size) that can fit entirely and easily below your belt, and is very thin so it doesn't look weird, or you need a small revolver riding slightly higher with the grip tucked under your shirt but above the belt.

For an in-between gun, like Shield or PPS, for me they were too large to be truly deep concealment, but too hard to draw when they rode a bit higher. The belt interferes with getting your hand on the weapon. The revolver gets around this by having a curved, hook-shaped grip that can be grabbed even when the rest of the gun is buried. This is where a fitted holster like 3 Speed is handy -- I think with something like a smart carry, the cylinder will snag under your belt.

If I wanted to carry in a non-permissive (but legal) environment (job/work) and wasn't subject to metal detectors I "think" Smartcarry would work, even if I wasn't a guy:
smartcarry-by-concealed-protection-3-photos-1-3.jpg

Disclaimer: My post for entertainment purposes only. ;)
As pictured, drawing this small semi-auto would be quite difficult because the grip is under the belt. It would be a matter of clearing the shirt, then pulling out the belt, then hopefully gripping the weapon without the shirt getting back in the way again...

If this sort of holster can be worn low enough, with the whole rig down below the belt, then you can grab it without having to untuck the shirt first. But I think it requires the smallest gun one can get, likely a little .380.

As pictured, drawing this small semi-auto would be quite difficult because the grip is under the belt. It would be a matter of clearing the shirt, then pulling out the belt, then hopefully gripping the weapon without the shirt getting back in the way again...

If this sort of holster can be worn low enough, with the whole rig down below the belt, then you can grab it without having to untuck the shirt first. But I think it requires the smallest gun one can get, likely a little .380.
You really need to try one to understand them. I think most of the complaints and doubts come from those who have never used one.

I started with my first Smart Carry using my Seecamp for work, and it worked as advertised and very well.

I soon realized I could carry one of my Glock 26's (with a 17 reload) just as easily, and have been doing so for about a decade now.

When worn properly, the shirt does not get in the way, nor does the belt or pants, and you can easily draw the gun, with a proper grip, and with just one hand, even while sitting. Its easier than trying to draw from a pocket too.

Its very comfortable, for a 16 hour day, and is actually the only holster Ive ever worn, that the gun actually stays "clean" in. No dust, dirt, or dust bunnies.

Depending on the type of pants you wear, you can actually get away with up to a full-sized gun too. It tends to not be as comfortable, and the pants limit you more to dress type or oversized pants.

I normally wear my regular size Carhartt or Dickies type carpenter pants, which are more fitted/flat across the front, and the 26 with its 17 reload, are about perfect size-wise.

Ive carried guns as big as a Glock 19 and SIG P239 in one with no problems, wearing those looser type pants. Theres no doubt, the smaller you go the easier its probably going to be, but the fact is, you dont have to limit yourself and go down in size to guns that are usually relegated to second and third line back up. You can easily and comfortably, carry a more realistic and effective gun.

Now, there is one thing that may cause a holster of this type to be less effective, to even not useable at all for you, and it has nothing to do, with the gun, the holster, or your dress. ;)

You really need to try one to understand them. I think most of the complaints and doubts come from those who have never used one.

I started with my first Smart Carry using my Seecamp for work, and it worked as advertised and very well.

I soon realized I could carry one of my Glock 26's (with a 17 reload) just as easily, and have been doing so for about a decade now.

When worn properly, the shirt does not get in the way, nor does the belt or pants, and you can easily draw the gun, with a proper grip, and with just one hand, even while sitting. Its easier than trying to draw from a pocket too.

Its very comfortable, for a 16 hour day, and is actually the only holster Ive ever worn, that the gun actually stays "clean" in. No dust, dirt, or dust bunnies.

Depending on the type of pants you wear, you can actually get away with up to a full-sized gun too. It tends to not be as comfortable, and the pants limit you more to dress type or oversized pants.

I normally wear my regular size Carhartt or Dickies type carpenter pants, which are more fitted/flat across the front, and the 26 with its 17 reload, are about perfect size-wise.

Ive carried guns as big as a Glock 19 and SIG P239 in one with no problems, wearing those looser type pants. Theres no doubt, the smaller you go the easier its probably going to be, but the fact is, you dont have to limit yourself and go down in size to guns that are usually relegated to second and third line back up. You can easily and comfortably, carry a more realistic and effective gun.

Now, there is one thing that may cause a holster of this type to be less effective, to even not useable at all for you, and it has nothing to do, with the gun, the holster, or your dress. ;)
I used one for about a week and it never seemed I was able to get a good, reliable grip on the gun, unless I wore it high enough that it printed. It's always possible that I just need to try again.

I used one for about a week and it never seemed I was able to get a good, reliable grip on the gun, unless I wore it high enough that it printed. It's always possible that I just need to try again.
All of them need a little getting used to until you figure them out and find your sweet spot.

It usually takes me about a week or so of wearing the gun around the house in a new/different holster, getting it figured out and doing presentations from it in practice.

Takes a little while for your body and brain to adjust, get comfortable with things, and get the gun going without thinking about it.

The SmartCarry will certainly conceal well for non-permissive environments; but it isn’t super comfortable, especially if you are sitting. Either the grip is jammed in your abdomen or the muzzle is jammed in your groin.

You basically have to train the draw at home or a private range (not to mention the difficulty in reholstering safely). The draw is kind of deliberate and slow but doable. You can also grab the outside of your crotch and push up on the barrel for a presentation that’s quick but sacrifices safety.

38 special S&W airweight in Ken Null under arm (up side down) holster. This does involve opening your shirt and practicing how to properly draw from that specific type of holster. Is totally concealed and don't worry about where to put gun during bathroom break.

Last edited:
The under-the-shirt shoulder holsters don’t work well for most men because you can see the lines under most shirts, just like when a woman wears a bra you can make it out under the shirt. The only good thing is nobody is likely to ask you about what it is. :D

For women, it probably works better since we already expect to see that type of line.

Unless you're the type that wears tight/translucent shirts, you don't see those straps.
Shoulder holsters are generally the easiest holsters to spot. What the cover garment is really doesnt matter. Coat, shirt, whatever, they all allow the straps to print at some point.

The staps show through even heavier materials, especially when the material is drawn tight across them, and a lot of them show at the collar, and when people wear things "open", that should be "closed". Seen more than one "swing out" on someone.

I had one of Nulls SMZ holsters for my S&W's. It would work with some autos as well, but you had to be careful what you put in it, due to how the holster works.

It, and the Galco "Executive" were the only two shoulder holsters I ever really liked. Everything else was just too bulky and limiting. Of the two, I prefer the Galco.

I still have one Executive for my Glock 26, and sold the Null off not long after I got the first Galco.

Unless you're the type that wears tight/translucent shirts, you don't see those straps.

That hasn’t been my experience with either traditional shoulder holsters or the various cloth and velcro deep concealment holsters designed to be worn under a shirt.

However, I’d certainly be interested in seeing a picture showing how this is working for you.

The upside down Null holster isn't anything like a traditional shoulder holster. Perhaps you could google it and actually look at it. My comments are from actual experience with the specific holster mentioned, and there are likely trade offs from any type of holster.

It worked for me after the State got concealed carry, and the governor allowed gooberment employees to carry at work. Was first non enforcement in our regional office to get permission to conceal, and was very closely observed by management for over a year. This in an agency chock full of tree huggers who strongly disliked the governor and Republicans. Then non tucked in shirts became more acceptable, and switched to inside belt carry, which is much better option.

To each their own, but sometimes speaking from actual experience provides some alternatives.

I have actual experience with the Null holster as well, and seem to have had a different experience than you.

The Null, and Galco are both minimalist shoulder holsters, and about as small as they get, but they both still do print, or show a tell with their straps, just like the bigger holsters, especially if you now what youre looking at.

In reality, most people are oblivious to things anyway, so it probably doesnt matter, but for those who are looking, shoulder holsters are still usually one of the easiest to spot.

While it worked for me, it was a pain to balance how the holster "hung", being able to draw (especially twisting to unsnap), the holster "swinging" around and where to attach the down strap. Cut a lot of the strap away for fit. Looked real careful and could not see any straps through the shirts being worn. The strap behind the neck could ride up on loose collared shirt, but had the neck of undershirt wrapped around it. If you wore a tighter shirt, the gun could certainly print. Like the holsters am using now, have adapted my clothes.

This allowed carrying a 38 special under a tucked in overshirt for 2 years, which felt was better option for me than the 380's owned at the time. Was it perfect? Definitely not and like all carry systems used/am using there are trade offs. Am no longer concerned with "deep" no one can see concealment, and haven't used the holster in years.

Have several other normal shoulder holsters in the "box", that would did not conceal very well, and none of them under a regular shirt.

A Keltec P32 can be carried under a shirt by using a neck lanyard with an oversized nylon cleaning brush stuck down the barrel.

The same gun can be invisibly carried IWB using the Keltec belt clip. It positions the gun just below the waist line of the pants.

Or, you can do like I have done for the past 22 years- just stick it in your pocket.

Well, here is one of the only reviews I can find of the Null holster being worn. In those pictures, it is printing mildly even though the cover garment is a sweater. So I’m not seeing how that’s going to work with a collared shirt.

https://welikeshooting.com/reviews/gear-reviews/shoulder-holster-twist/

In any case, it illustrates what I’m talking about with various deep concealment shirt shoulder holsters I’ve used (none of which were Null holsters). It’s just hard to explain straps printing underneath a man’s shirt - and few professional shirts are heavy enough to hide even thin straps.

And the thing is, if I can wear an untucked sweater or polo, then I can conceal a full-size pistol in an IWB rig.

Last edited:
Back