Stupid Question: How do you pronounce "Sako"?

I lived at 337 Houston Ave in Williston Park, NY when I was a boy. It was pronounced
"yous-ton".
I have lived in NYC for the last 40 years. Worked in an office in Soho.....South of Houston Street.....promounced "house-ton".

And I grew up on the west side of Houston (Hew-sten), Texas. If my folks drove NE of town, we'd end up in the town of Humble (Um-bul).

JohnKSa, you mean you don't care for how we pronounce Mexia, Refugio, Bexar, Burnet, Manchaca, the Pedernales River or Kuykendahl Rd? :D

Isn't Lapua supposed to be pronounced Lap-wa.

Nothing unusual about different pronunciations, it depends on where you live. Here in Ga we speak 2 distinctly different languages depending on whether you live north, or south of Macon.

If you go to Lapua's website you can listen to a Fin say it in one of their Video's. I can't spell it phonetically in English because it still comes out sounding like Spanish. It is fun to say it correctly when in a store and asking for their products. Clerks have no idea what you're talking about. LOL..

OP is old enough to vote.
"...I say 'sayko'..." That'd be The Queen's English. Vowels separated by a consonant are pronounced long. As in 'say' vs 'saw'.
Grew up in Etobicoke. West end of Toronto. That'd be E toe be co. And Tor on to. Saying Etobecokee is not permitted. Saying Ta raw na is only permitted if you grew up there.

Didn't we settle this almost 10 years ago??? :D

...I say 'sayko'..." That'd be The Queen's English.
And so would I, IF it were an English word. It's not.

Vowels separated by a consonant are pronounced long. As in 'say' vs 'saw'.

This confuses me. First, lets agree on long and short. For "a" the long sound is "aaayyy" and the short is "aahhh" agreed??

If vowels separated by consonants are long, then why isn't it Sayvayge instead of Savage?? Why isn't it "Reemyngtoon, not Remington?? or Weencheesteer?

The rule given doesn't make sense to me, with all the examples I can think of, but being English, there are tons and tons of exceptions to the rules.

You can pronounce anything any way you want to. The correct way to pronounce a word is the way the originator(s) pronounce it. Meaning, the way the family pronounces their name, the way the people who live there pronounce the name of their place, and if a foreign word, the way it is pronounced in its native language.

Say-ko (Seiko) is a watch.
Sock-o (Sako) is a firearm.

Say it any way you want, don't change on account of what is correct, heavens no, don't do that...:rolleyes:

All that changes is if you sound like you know what you are talking about...or not!

My friend from Finland says the factory people say Socko.

That is easier than Berlin, Md., with accent on the first syllable, which is Burlin from Burley Inn.

Some years back we had a Spanish historian that came to Alaska and told us we were pronouncing Valdez all wrong.

Spanish = Val des

Alaskan= Val deeeze

There actually was a move called Valdez is Coming (Spanish pronunciation ) so I knew what was right per Spanish.

However, the geography hounds have determined that local trumps tech correct every which way to Sunday. Too bad for the Spanish guy, but its Valdeeze.

So, go with local and I am amongt them (Say ko) as I don't speak Finish.

And go with the local if you are in Northern Europe and more so Finland and the locals are right there to! Otherwise they will look at you odd.

What is worse is that every one can pronounce Fahrvergnügen correctly but murder the bullet brand of "Aguila" which translate to eagle.

Heck, I'm impressed that you can SPELL it! :D

now, do you know what it means??? :rolleyes:
I think it was just an advertising slogan by the Germans but don't remember what it was for. Heck the only reason I remembered was it sounded funny back than and it does the same now.

Try ordering Blue Curacao in a bar and pronouncing Curacao correctly.

You might get a drink with a dog and a pig in it. Cur-uh-sow........

It was a VW add slogan.

Fahrvergnügen

It is a German compound word using variants of "Fahren" (to travel, to drive, etc) and Vergnügen (to enjoy, take pleasure in..etc) in this context, Fahrvergnügen could be translated as "the joy of driving" or the "enjoyment of driving"
SO, driving a VW gives you joy, you should buy one! :D

many of us understand the "joy of shooting", but be careful how you spell it (especially in German) get the "i" and the "e" in the wrong order and it becomes "the joy of taking a dump", which is also a pleasure, but a QUITE different thing. :D

Learning to properly pronounce words in a foreign language is something most Americans don't do. Of course, most Americans don't properly pronounce many words in English, either...:rolleyes:

The joy of driving a Volkswagen . I can think of a couple of better German cars that would give me joy in driving, and Volkswagen is not one of them.

Mr. Garand (who inventedthe action) pronounced his last name 'jer-und'. I know my H&K USP .40 is Heckler & COKE, -- Sako - I may have to call the company.

Generally speaking, other than English, European languages have standard rules for proper pronunciation of vowels. If the proper pronunciation differs from the standard there is generally a mark, an accent mark, a squiggle, two dots, a circle or a curved line or some other mark with the letter tell you to use the "other" standard rule.

Sako is Finnish, so should follow standard Finnish rules.

English has its own rules a standard for regular words, another for foreign words adopted into English, and yet another for proper names.

And then there is the way many people say them, which follows no rule at all. :D

Don't know much about any rules but I've been shooting a Say-co Riihimaki for over 50 years. It's too late to change her name now...….

WIN 71
I'll give you a pass, because its "her name". :D

One of the English "rules" is that if its your name, the proper pronunciation is what ever you say it is, no matter how you spell it.

You can spell it Mxppfty and if you say it's pronounced "Smith" then "Smith" IS the proper pronunciation of that name.

For me, its always going to be "Sock-o" is a rifle, and "Say-ko" is a watch. ;)

Back