Stupid Question: How do you pronounce "Sako"?

Waco, TX should be pronounced Whack-o :)
I think the correct pronunciation of Sako is Sock-o, but I still say Say-ko because otherwise no one understands what I am talking about.

I wouldn't use the pronounciation of Maine cities and towns as a guide to proper pronounciation. For example: We say that Calais is Ka-lis, not Cal-ay as they say it Europe. Madrid is not Ma-'DRID with the accent on the second syllable, it's 'Maa-drid, (short "a" sound, but accent on the first syllable.

Actually, some Mainers pronounce the City of Saco more like a short "A" sound, not as an "O" sound.

I tend to pronounce Sako as Say-Ko, especially if someone else pronounces it that way first. That's probably because I've heard it pronounced that way the most.

Around here, Leupold is almost always mis-pronounced LEEE-O-pold! Of course they pronounce "Realty" Road as "Re-ality Road". Don't even ask about how to pronounce some of the native american lake names. :-)

If Saco, ME is Sock-oh -- Then why is Waco, TX said 'Way-ko'?

Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton. House ... like mouse, house, louse, pouch, grouch, couch, etc. When I first moved here in the late 80's, I thought it was strange. Now I think Hyooston is strange. ;)

Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton. House ... like mouse, house, louse, pouch, grouch, couch, etc. When I first moved here in the late 80's, I thought it was strange. Now I think Hyooston is strange.

I know what you mean. My last name is Houston. My immediate family has always pronounced it like Houston Texas. My family back in upstate New York pronounces it House-ton. East coast thing I think.

Having traveled a bit in my youth....

I have found the polite way to pronounce names is the way the people living there, or the person pronounces it.

Sock-o is a rifle
Say-ko is a watch

Worchester MA is "Wuster" MA:rolleyes:

yep, it's "Sock-o", and by the way it's "Loo-poled" scopes not "Leah-poled", and it's "Heckler & Coke" not "Heckler & Kotch"

Well now, we Mainers don't like to be told how to say anything. So, if you come to Maine, you may want to go to "Soco" to look at "Say-Koos", or "Oddies" at "Kaliss", and glance at a "Leeopold" at L.L. Bean.

However you'd be celebrated if you went to Saco to buy an Audi, or picked up a Leupold at Kittery Trading post.

Most of us really don't care how you say anything, just as long as you buy it here. Keep Maine Green...Spend money! :-)

Having listened to Tom Gresham interviews

on his "Gun Talk" radio show, his interviews with the rifle makers and scope makers representatives....

Socko, the rifles

Lou poe (silent "d" at the end, rhymes with "toe"), the scopes

+1 on Sammy312. Thats how the Sock-O rep pronounces it. Would Guess he knows. Now how about Garand...Oh crap let's not open that bag of worms

Worchester MA is "Wuster" MA

There's no "H" in Worcester. I went to High School there. Don't miss it. :barf:

Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton.

Or Houston St in Manhattan (also pronounced "house-ton").

Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton.

Because when you're talking about a state that takes pride in the fact it beat an entire country on its on (not to mention everyone and their dog there own a gun), you pronounce it the way they want you to.

We can get in a big argument about how to pronounce Garand. I have yet to hear anyone pronounce Swarovski correctly. I believe it is pronounced Svar-off-ski by the folks who make it. And how in the heck do you pronounce Coues deer?

I hate to say this but I truly wouldn't care how it was pronounced , prenounced, or pernounced as long as I owned one.

I know it's 'socko' but I say 'sayko' because no one will know what I'm talking about otherwise. Same reason I say 'gah-rand' even though I know it's really 'gehrund', 'vokeswagin' when I know it's really 'fokesvahgon', 'mikyoulik' when I know it's really 'mishulak' and 'wahl-ther' when I really know it's 'vaulter'.

I'm not even going to start on the awful things Texans do to the foreign names of many of the cities in this fine state or lament my conformity which is done in the name of effective communication...

Ok--just a nod to the 'doomuss' Demons, the highschool football team in Dumas, TX. Better get that one right even if you can't get any of the others...

Back