Stupid Question: How do you pronounce "Sako"?

SpazzTrap

Is it "sakeco" or "socko"? I was talking to a coworker about these guns and he uses the former and I use the latter pronounciation...dumb question, but I'm still curious...
ST

"Sock-oh"
Or at least that's as close as I can spell after hearing a Finn say it. AFAIR it is an anagram for something like Militia Small Arms Factory.

The European pronunciation would be "sock-o". The in-the-woods American, ordinary shooterperson pronunciation would be Sako, with a long "a".

Of course, we all know that Leupold is pronounced "Loop-hold", don't we???

Gotta go along with Walter. For 30 years, I've been shootin' a Say-Ko. If I wuz talkin' to a Finn, I'd brag about my Socko.

:), Art

Layne Simpson had an article a while back on proper pronunciations. Docko is correct, as is Loo-pold. Mark-X is actually Mark-Ten.
Paul B.

Howdy gents. New here but I've had this question too so paid close attention to the last "Bucks of Teco-something-or-other show" and they pronounced it as "sacko" (as a sack of potatoes). Was new to me but they should be saying it right since Sako is one of their sponsors.

:D

When my youngest son turned 16,I gave him my only sayko,a Finnbear.Watching a hunting show a few months back sponsered by Sako,they said the correct pronunciation was indeed,socko.Sometimes I wish I still had that old sayko in my collection.

I've known the correct pronunciation is "sock-o" for years, but I've never been able to break the habit of pronouncing it "say-ko". :rolleyes:

Right, if we said "sock-oh" around here they'd definately think we were referring to Saco, Maine. :D

I'm pretty sure if you say Sock-oh you need to have tea and scrumpets with your pinky up in the air on the tea cup.

I know that's the proper pronunciation but I can't bring myself to do it.

I have owned two of them since the early 90's and I always have called them "say-ko" and at 65 I'm unlikely to change.

Back