Stand up for your 2A rights - BOYCOTT T.G.I. Fridays!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgina is a Shall Issue state for a Concealed Handgun Permit. Get it- Learn it- Use it.

Virginia forbids concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but allows open carry in said restaurant.

Understand the question at hand........;)

Your rights end where theirs begin in this case. It is your right to carry a firearm. It is their right, as the property owner, to say "No Firearms Allowed", just as it is yours to say "No XYZ" in your house or on your property. (It is obviously your right to not hand them your money in protest of them exercising their right to a "weapon free zone".)

But that's the rub...dont their rights end at your nose? Just because you are on their property doesn't mean they have the right to violate your rights or compromise your safety, does it?

For example, if you are on my property, am I within my rights to forbid you from speaking? How about your right to LEAVE my property...if I forbid you to leave, does it mean you must comply with my request? A little extreme, but you get the point. You have a certain rights that may not be infringed. If you wont allow me to carry a gun which I use for personal protection on your private property, then is it not reasonable for me to expect you to safeguard my well being and provide for my safety?

i wrote them. I included the link to this thread. Hope they figure it out soon. In GA everyone carries, and people who carry want to have a good time in restaurants. I just won't eat at a place that says no firearms. Besides, here we can conceal them so its not as big of a deal. It seems like that guy was just trying to put his opinion on you, when clearly the policy said no concealed. If it was out in the open, that is them being retarded.

They can ask you to leave for whatever they feel like. it is private property. The problem the OP has I think is the fact that the sign said concealed, and he was open carrying. So yea, they have the right to say to leave anytime they want. You are on their property and if you don't leave it is criminal trespassing.

Virginia forbids concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but allows open carry in said restaurant.

You are correct. Makes a lot of sense...no concealed allowed, but open carry is okay. Who writes these laws anyway.

I choose to boycott TGI Fridays based on their crappy food and horrible service
+1 I used to like th places food although the service has always been lousy. About 8 years ago they made a menu change they have never come back from.
If you ever find yourself in Taipei, Taiwan, it is about the only place that has legitimate AMERICAN food.

Since when was this thread a commentary on TGIFriday's food quality? I thought it was about the right to carry vs the right for property owners to restrict guns. I guess I was wrong.

I support the right of property owners to restrict firearms from their business and I support the right of firearms owners to take their business to someplace that wants their money.

As for TGI Fridays, there are already a half dozen reasons I'd rather eat at Taco Bueno or Long John Silvers first; but I'll add this one to the list.

Just because you are on their property doesn't mean they have the right to violate your rights or compromise your safety, does it?

For example, if you are on my property, am I within my rights to forbid you from speaking?

Yes.

And yes.

What the TGIF

I can't believe people still eat at TGIF. I started the boycott when we got ourselves a Bob Evans.

I am all about posted signs, if they say no guns (concealed or not), I usually just leave it in my vehicle. No need to get into a situation where some drunk guy thinks it would be funny to try and take your firearm from you...

I Love Oregon

No such restrictions here. Nothing wrong with having a beer after work and not having to leave my gun locked up in the truck. Being sensible is the key.

Medicine bow, I may be wrong but I do not think you can forbid speaking... maybe ask them to leave the business...
Brent

Yes.

And yes.

Good answer MedicineBow!

In fact, if I am on your property you can tell me to leave and don't even need a reason. If I don't leave I am trepassing. As someone has pointed out, in most places a merchant's establishment may come under some additional rules, some of which may include some type of "equal accomodation" statutes that may prevent the merchant from refusing service to someone. These, however are usually non-discrimination statutes. If TGIF's let's others wear OC guns but not you, you might have a case - depends on Virginia's laws. But if they prohibit everyone from carrying open in the restuarnt, that would come under the heading of "they would rather lose your business".

Did someone say that some states have laws that require merchants to serve gun toters?

here in the republic of Wisconsin - i think we are one of the last states to have strict anti "concealed carry" laws/policies ... just the other day our state attorney general announced that open carry is not illegal... the immediate response of the Milwaukee PD--- http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/43347632.html

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it," Flynn said. "Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them."

how is that for suppression? 2A rights? what 2a rights?

Creature said:
For example, if you are on my property, am I within my rights to forbid you from speaking? How about your right to LEAVE my property...if I forbid you to leave, does it mean you must comply with my request? A little extreme, but you get the point. You have a certain rights that may not be infringed. If you wont allow me to carry a gun which I use for personal protection on your private property, then is it not reasonable for me to expect you to safeguard my well being and provide for my safety?

Sure it would be reasonable, in my mind. I'm not putting up their signs or demanding that armed citizens leave my property. I'm not the one that sees the gun as the danger, rather than the idiot carrying it or the good tool that it can be. The way gun owners are portrayed these days by TV and the extreme left really screws up how the gun- neutral people in society view armed, decent, responsible citizens. But on my property, what I say goes, on yours what you say goes and on theirs what they say goes.

Last edited:
Al nailed it. Right or wrong, once you open your property to the public, you're subject to any number of regulations.

Just because you are on their property doesn't mean they have the right to violate your rights or compromise your safety, does it?
On my property (not open to the public) I'd be leaving myself open to litigation if I did something to compromise your safety, but your right to free speech, carrying a firearm, etc. goes away at my discretion.

Of course I'd probably let you carry on my property and maybe even speak your mind.... maybe. :p

It's really very simple, on a couple of points...

1. I have the freedom to choose where I spend my hard-earned cash. I'd rather support those merchants who support the 2A.

2. If you feel the need to carry in a place that may be prohibited in your state, that's your choice...but concealed is concealed.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how a business owner of any commercial establishment that advertises to and serves the general public can legally refuse to serve a patron who is quietly going about his own business and breaking no public law. I'm assuming of course that what we're being told in this forum about this particular situation is true, i.e., that carrying a concealed weapon into an establishment that serves alcohol in Virginia is illegal, but that openly carrying a gun into such an establishment isn't illegal. Of course, I don't know if that's really true or not - it sounds crazy - but if it is true, why isn't that business owner required by law to serve that patron? The business owner is not running a private club in which the members have as the price of joining, agreed to check some their rights at the door before entering.

This seems very much akin to the restaurants in the South who once refused to serve blacks. They can't do that now. You can't just stomp on someones civil rights like that any more. What I think would be very interesting to see, is what would happen if a well-dressed, card-carrying NAACP-belonging, black patron, who was quietly minding his own business, openly carried a gun into this white(?) Virginia establishment. The owner wouldn't know whether to s*#! or go blind. But I do imagine that owner would think twice before he refused to serve that black patron and ordered him to leave because the price of violating that patrons civil rights are known to be very high. I'd pay money to see that confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back