Some people just shouldn't be allowed to handle a weapon

Friend of mine took a carry course in Oregon. Instructor fired a 1911 over the tops of class' noggins.

Stuff happens! I've had a IDPA shooter let one into the ground a foot my from toes on the draw.

DNS, my point was not about instructor perfection, it was about standardization. Had he followed guidelines, there would not have been ammo in the classroom.

Instructors err. That does not mean there are no guidelines.

Wow MLeake, my post wasn't about instructor perfection either. I have no idea where you got the notion that it was or that I was challenging your post in some manner by posting an example supportive of what you said. After all, my post was about standardization. Had he followed guidelines set by the NRA who has certified him as an instructor, there would not have been ammo in the classroom.

Of course, there would be no such incidents and certainly none with injuries if folks follows basic safety rules. The issue of being NRA certified would not be relevant at all of folks followed the safety rules.

it was about standardization. Had he followed guidelines, there would not have been ammo in the classroom.

Nobody has suggested otherwise.

However, a point that you obviously missed is that by being an NRA certified instructor does not mean he follows the guidelines. There is no magical protection that comes with being NRA certified. He violated the safety rules. He violated the NRA guidelines for instruction.

Hey that Cooper fella must have had some common sense. Or is it rare sense nowadays?

Thanks Gator and Meyer:)

I've determined that we assume the wrong definition of common... Common CAN mean what we normally think, basically that there's a lot of it but it can also mean available or owned by/for everyone.

Like in the old days, a town may have had a "common" well. It was available to everyone.

Just like "common" sense, just because the well was there doesn't mean people didn't die of dehydration. ;)

However, a point that you obviously missed is that by being an NRA certified instructor does not mean he follows the guidelines.
I've seen all too much of that. I dealt with a guy a couple of years ago who was teaching First Steps, and he skipped the part showing students how to disassemble their guns. The reason? "YouTube has videos on that." That might explain why he was finishing the whole class in just over an hour.

We also had a local hunter-safety instructor who was using his time to lecture students on politics and give some atrocious (and legally erroneous) self-defense advice.

The NRA certification courses are pretty clear on what is to be taught, and how it is to be taught, but that doesn't stop some folks from completely disregarding those factors once they're out in the wild.

When I took my CHL a few years back I actually wondered why the instructor allowed the students to handle firearms PRIOR to taking the initial written tests.

That being said, either way you can't get around the fact that people will just do stupid things regardless of the situation.

LOL, I have to chuckle at the mention of Jeff Cooper and his rules.

Because I guess very few people know this, but he himself had a ND once.

A friend of his recounted the story after he passed; it was in one of the gun rags, paying tribute to the Colonel.

Summary of itgoes like this" The Colonel bought a beautiful .44 Magnum Revolver and was showing it to his friend, admiring it and dry firing it while he pointed it at some kind of meter (electric?) outside his office window...click click click BOOM! A perfect shot through the window and into the meter.

He was stunned, and could only say "That doesn't happen to me..."

So, folks, ANYONE can have an ND...

training class

I was at a training class and all of the students were at the firing line firing 6 rounds at paper targets from about 3 yards. The guy in the booth next to me fired off his very quickly and put 3 rounds into my target and didn't hit anything but backstop with the other 3. All this was before I even fired.

I put my gun back onto the bench without firing a shot and spoke up to the Range Master. The guy argued that he didn't shoot at my target, I just only hit mine 3 times. The Range Master checked both weapons and kicked him from the class.

That man should not ever hold a gun.

Back