Some advice requested: shady subject at LEO house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the techniques mentioned don’t solve the problem, I’ve run across several pistols that have slides that are easier to rack than my PPQ.

-Walther CCP & PK380
-Sig 938
-Springfield Armory XDE
-Tanfoglio Pavona - my wife has one of these which will become her carry choice when she decides she is ready for that path

I keep my PPQ in the headboard but it’s job isn’t primarily to stop the threat, but to stop any threat between me and my rifle.

Have you tried a youth model shotgun for size? It may fit her better than a full size model. A smaller AR could work as well, assuming she is willing to learn it.

My wife & I have been working on what works and what doesn’t work this year. ARs don’t work for us. She has no interest in them at all. She wasn’t going to learn to use one and I knew better than to force the issue. Shotguns are an option but we don’t have anywhere local to practice using it. The temporary stop gap is my .357 Henry, because we own it and can both use it without issue. Still not an ideal solution, but I felt it was better than just a pistol or her preference of bolt actions.

I like those sights for her shield someone suggested above.

Another option might be a S&W M&P 22 compact. They are light, the slide functions with minimal effort, and it has a rail to add a light and or LASER easily.

The Kel-tec PMR 30 might be another option in the same concept with the added plus of 30 rounds of .22 magnum ammo.

As for specific guns a S&W Model 19 or Model 66 loaded with .38 +P is good advice. These are .357 Magnum guns, but have smaller frames than some other models which should make them easier to hold. As mentioned earlier using the .38 +P ammo should give you the power you need without using .357 Magnum ammo which can be quite harsh.

cannonfire,

I'm a bit late to the party, but ... hopefully the website, and especially the 'rack the slide' page, was helpful to you & to her.

May I suggest a Christmas present for your fiancee and yourself? That would be a formal, professional defensive firearms training class.

If you choose to go that route, it will be an investment. The going rate for such classes is around $200/person/day. Some are a little less, some a little more -- but beware of anything very far below that base rate, as the lower priced classes tend to be (aren't always, but tend to be) local instructors who may not be able to provide the level of care you and your fiancee need at this point in your learning cycles.

The advantage of getting yourself and her into such a class is two-fold (at least!).

1) She will have the advantage of working with someone who has taught many, many people how to run their guns with confidence. Before the class is over, she will be racking the slide without even thinking about it -- and loading/unloading, clearing malfunctions, moving with the gun in hand, and lots of other things too. The advantages in confidence and self-assurance that go with this really can't be overstated, and will go a long way toward providing peace of mind for both of you.

2) In a good class, you will have opportunity to discuss your specific needs face to face with someone who does this for a living, and who can directly assess your/your fiancee's specific needs and strengths as you figure out what your plans are moving forward. This, too, can be a huge advantage.

Oh, one more advantage of going the class route: it's fun! A good class will be a lot of hard work (and planning, and a busy weekend and everything that goes with that) -- but it's time well-spent and can be truly enjoyable.

Also, you and she might find that you grow closer over the weekend, and you will be surprised at how many meaningful conversations you enjoy both with each other and with your classmates. The chances are that there are many subjects related to armed self-defense that you've just not had time or ... prompting? impetus? ... to explore with your fiancee yet. A good class can help you find the areas you need to talk about together, and give you ideas for lots of other conversations you will likely have in the weeks and months following that class.

Yes -- I AM suggesting this even though you are a LEO and even though you spent eight years in the Marine Corps. Although it might be tempting to just send your fiancee to class, you'll find that a class intended for non-LEO, non-military people will hit several different mindset issues that would be very helpful in terms of getting you both on the same page. And whatever else you've taught or told her, it can certainly help to have reinforced by another person who has the skills and ability to teach. By taking the class with her, you'll be able to assess the context and quality of the instruction she gets and you'll be able to more helpfully discuss areas of difference if there are any.

Whether or not you go the class route, I strongly suggest you download and read the following pdf link: https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/Hayes_SDLaw.pdf

In that pdf, you will find very, VERY important information about what to do (and what not to do) before, during, and after a self-defense shooting to give yourselves the best possible footing for staying out of legal trouble.

Hope all of this helps!

pax

[Edited to add a link: https://www.corneredcat.com/what-does-training-cost/ -- that's a blog post on my website that provides a list of nationally-known trainers and/or schools along with their prices as of 2015. No stinkers on the list.]

"...motion sensor lights..." Yep. Nothing scares a cowardly criminal faster than lights suddenly coming on. Except maybe a dog.
"...#8 Spears and lances..." Aren't the same thing. A spear was typically used by untrained or lesser trained militia type troops because it took less training. It's a stabbing weapon, not a thrown weapon too. A lance was exclusively a mounted troopie weapon. Also primarily a stabbing weapon, but also used to knock an opponent off his horse.
And a handgun is a handgun. Regardless of its calibre it takes more training to be proficient than it does a rifle.

Should have added: if you're deeply committed to trying a different gun for her, suggest she handle a Glock 43. It shoots like a larger gun, has the familiar Glock interface while being friendly for small hands, and has a surprisingly soft spring for the size.

pax

My suggestions would be:
  • Get a dog.
  • Install an alarm system.
  • Get the finace a gun she is comfortable using; let her do the choosing, and consider revolvers and shotguns as viable choices.
My wife uses a shotgun since she's been around them since she was a child, isn't afraid of them and can hit what she points it at - particularly at distances that would be across the room.

She's too small to safely handle the ....AR.

This is very hard to believe. A short 9" or 10" AR Pistol is a very compact weapon. That would be easily deployed and has many newb type features like a red dot and linear comp to redirect blast.

Also, this racking the slide thing on a Glock 17 or even the Shield is trainable. She needs practice.

If another gun is in the budget, I would take a look at the Walter pk380. Looks like someone above mentioned it as well.

I've been looking in to them myself and every review I have seen(quite a few) raves about how light the slide is to work.

i would recommend a Ruger .327 LCR loaded with 32 H&R Magnum. It is relatively light, easy to use, accurate and low recoil. It holds six rounds.

A Glock 42 .380 is also low recoil, accurate and the slide is easy to rack. It has a 6+1 capacity.

Seems like the simplest, cheapest and most obvious answer would be to keep one in the chamber of the Shield. Would only need to slingshot it on a reload but that doesn't take near as much effort.

And, adrenaline is a magical elixir. Bet she'd rack the slide without even realizing it when she needs to.

WyMark just keeping a round chambered is good advice for a self-defense pistol. That is not a good answer for someone who is unable to rack the slide though. Any failure that could normally be corrected by racking the slide would render the pistol useless. While failures with a proven pistol and quality ammo are unlikely, the consequences in a home invasion situation are unthinkable. There are other, better options available to the OP.

There are no magic elixirs, and counting on adrenaline to enable her do something she is not confident and trained to do is dangerous and foolish in my opinion.

Right, so I said all of that to say this. It makes me nervous that she can't manipulate the slide every time on her Shield or any semiauto for that matter
Teaching her the technique needed for folks who have limited hand strength would be a start. If that does not help its time for a revolver

She can rack the slide unless something is screwed with the pistol. Put 4 fingers on one side of slide, thumb and palm on the other side, strong hand on the grip. Push with strong hand, pull with weak hand.

Coming from a LE background as well, I would tell you to FIRST consider setting up motion sensor spot lights and cameras that record to help you figure out what is going on and ID your problem. This could be pretty important should the matter end up in a shooting.

As far as weapon, if she can't work it with absolute proficiency, get one that she can. I gave my wife a 5 shot SW with wad cutters. Guaranteed to shoot every time and no worry about slide, limp wrist, safety or clambering rounds. The wad cutters are probably as effective in a short barrel as any and she can control shots without fear.

Thanks again for everybody's responses. It means a lot when people come together to help each other solve a problem. Much appreciated.

Here's the update. Spoke to a Sgt from the local police, and they are patroling my neighborhood more and seem to be taking it pretty seriously. Perfect.

I'm work with her racking the slides and her technique, but in the meantime, I went out a purchased a SB brace for my SP5k and now she has that next to her night stand and bought her a kydex holster so she can carry her shield around the house. She is comfortable with the SP5k and its very compact.

Now here is the possibly good news... last night it happened again. Fiance was in bed watching tv when somebody knocked on the front door. She immediately looked out the bedroom window and saw what she thought was a teenager sprinting from my front door and down the street. So it appears it is just a kid in the neighborhood that has been doing this. But this has definitely been a wake up call as far as my home security and her defense.

I want to thank everybody again for the help and advise. Pax, thank you so much for that website! It is extremely helpful and she loves it. Thank you. Obviously this isn't quite over yet as far as training and home security but I'm breathing a little easier knowing it is a neighborhood kid, and obviously doesn't mean it can't/won't escalate.

Btw... She has decided she wants to build her own AR. And of course she found the only CZ P10c in my neck of the woods. And yes she bought it... and i thought we were shopping for her... lol

Looking back on this thread,the best suggestion I made was to have PAX weigh in.After that,I'm just distracting noise.Pax has it.
But another thought has occurred,and others have mentioned it.

I agree being prepared for the worst possible moment,which would be the bad guy in the house.
If she has to shoot the guy,the ONLY good thing about that,is that she survives.(That IS good)
DO pick out the right gun,do train and prepare,do be ready. How long does that take? Skills take time.

He is knocking on the doors. That puts him standing on a spot. Predictable.

Pick up a Cabelas catalogue and browse the deer trail cameras. High res,motion activated,and some of them interface with a smartphone. Prices? Probably $100 to $300. You can do it NOW.(OK,two days for shipping)

If your LEO's can have an ID of the guy and photo evidence of him being there,they can clean him up.

Once again,for her to have to actually confront this guy in your home and put him down is far from the best outcome. I say that while fully supporting her being armed and dangerous.

If its a kid I would not discount the threat. Depending on your neighborhood and if they know you are a cop, could be some gang ignition or BLM point being made. Hopefully local patrol will catch and all can have a old school private "talk" with the individual......

cannonfire, at the risk of sounding insensitive - in all these incidents, have you personally seen the suspicious individual on your property or heard knocks on your windows/doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back