Some advice requested: shady subject at LEO house

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...the gun came SUPER stiff, and more breaking in of the spring..." All new firearms require a trigger job out of the box due to frivolous law suits. There's no such thing as "breaking in a spring".
"...why knock and do it?..." Assuming it is kids, teasing adults is fun. You never play Nicky Nine Doors as a kid?
"...bought my fiancé a..." She have anything to do with the selection?
"...She's too small..." Your lady's size has nothing to do with it. Had a small statured female in my CF Army Cadet Corps who could shoot circles around most of the great big lump males with an FN C1A1(Cdn. FAL of about 12 pounds empty.) or a No. 4 Lee-Enfield.

I work odd ball hours and it's very common for me to leave my house for work at 2am and leave my wife and 3 little girls alone-so when I leave I place a ruger sp-101 357 loaded with 38's in a holster behind her head between the beds mattress and bed frame but more importantly I arm my houses alarm and wake up my German Shepard. Given this person keeps coming back If I was you I would be having a serious conversation with my wife about bringing in a Dog..

Well for home defense a carbine is always going to be better than a handgun. As a former Marine I am a bit surprised you didn't come to the same conclusion. Loaded with 50 or 45 grain varmint bullets the penetration and ricochet potential of a 223 is FAR less then a 9MM Pistol. The same can be said for the fastest light weight 22 LRs.
And as far as her being to small and weak, I'd say give her a chance with an AR and see if that's really true.
I trained 3 kids last year on ARs. The smallest one was an 11 years old girl and weighted 67 pounds and they all did great. So how small is your girlfriend?

Here is a simple test .
Put out a gallon paint can or milk jug at about 10 yards. Giver her a hand gun. ANY hand gun. Even a 22 auto.
Have her fire 5 hots at the can and time them. No shots count that don't hit the can.
Now do the same test with a 10-22 Ruger, or an AR 15.
I think the results will speak for themselves.

Now if you want to go to the next level, suspend the can on a string between two poles and let it swing, so it's a moving target. Do that at only 5 yards. It need not even be swinging fast.
Have her shoot any handgun and then try a 10-22 Ruger and an AR15.
Don't believe me. Believe the test. You'll see.

If she is not carrying the handgun on her body , (if she has to go pick a weapon up,) there is NO situation where a rifle is not going to be a better weapon than a hand gun. Handguns are best for immediate reactions, and long arms are best for responses in a few seconds more. And remember, it's 100% OK to pick up both. A handgun in a paddle holster or even one to tuck into your belt is OK to have on you when you are going to fight. I always did so when I was a Marnie. But get the rifle first!

I have been shooting since I was a pre-teen and I am an old man now. I also was a Marine, and "combat skills" was one of the subjects I was responsible for teaching to other Marines, as well as DOD personal for many years. I have been doing it now for nearly 40 years. I can hit the swinging paint can with all my pistol and revolver shots, but it's still easier, even for me, with a rifle. Especially if that rifle has a large peep sight on it. Or a low powered scope.

How much more easy is it going to be for a new shooter?

Do her a big favor and try my little test before you make a decision.

Body carry 24/7 is the very best, but it's something she will have to start doing and start training for, in a serious way. If she can't body carry a handgun (or won't) get her a rifle. Even a 22 rifle is FAR better than a handgun she misses with more than she hits with, and any handgun miss is a sever liability in any neighborhood.

In the vast majority of civilian shooting cases, the one that lands the first hit wins the fight, and in most of those cases the one getting hit survives, but knows as soon as they are hit that they can't really win, so they break off the engagement. This is not all-out war,and the crook has no supporting army and no supporting medical establishment to help him, not to mention that fact that what every he is after, from property -- to sex-- to control/power, is diminished, or totally removed as soon as they are hit one time.

Only hits count. A powerful hit is better than a non-powerful hit, but ANY hit is WAAAAAAAY better than a miss.

My daughter is "5 foot nothing" and weighs 115. She has an AR15 as her home gun. She hunts and killed deer and elk with her 257 Roberts and has killed about 6 of them on the run. Would not want to be a crook trying to harm her.

My Mom is 4' 10" and weighs 124, and is 88 years old. She has an AR15 as her home defense weapon. She doesn't hunt at all, but can hit the moving can about 80% of the time at 25 yards. Would not want to be a crook trying to harm her either. LOTS of other 88 year old ladies would be a better bet.

My wife is tall and slender, and she doesn't like the AR as much as she does her AK47, which she has killed deer and antelope with on several occasion including some moving shots. She carries a Kimber sub-compact 45 at all times, but in every instance where she has had time to grab her AK, she grabs it. She has killed only one varmint with her 45 and missed 4 others, but so far I have only seen her miss one coyote and one fox with her AK. All the other varmints she's shot at with her carbine, she's killed. (maybe 12)
Coyotes running away from her usually die when she shoots at them. How well do you think a crook would do trying to come towards her?

Those are the ladies I love and care about the most and if I believed that a handgun was in any way better, I'd teach the to give up on the rifle. But that's kinda stupid don't you think?
Can you show me one case where any military on earth issues handguns instead of rifles?

If the answer is no, ask yourself why.

Also ask yourself how many hunters kill their game every year with rifles and how many do it with handguns. Handguns are not even used as often as bows and arrows. Why?
Because they are the most difficult type of weapon to learn to use well, especially under pressure.

In order of difficulty to attain proficiency , from easiest to most difficult, we have studied weapons and fighting systems and come up with this list. It may not be exact, but I am sure it is very close.

#1 Light caliber rifles.
#2 Shotguns.
#3 Heavy caliber rifles
#4 Light caliber handguns
#5 Bows and arrows
#6 Heavy caliber handguns
#7 Slingshots.
#8 Spears and lances
#9 Long heavy knives
#10 Short knives
#11 Heavy swords.
#12 Unarmed combat.

Please, for the sake of your loved one, think about what I have written here.

Last edited:
Have to police do some increase patrols. Try and find a gun that she can use. Ruger's SP 101 with a Wolffs #10 hammer spring works very well. I hope this is just some dumb kids screwing around and not a real bad guy.

1. Automatic/motion detecting lighting
2. Alarm system w/ panic feature
3. Dogs
4. Unfriendly shrubbery around windows (holly or other bushes with thorns/stickers)
5. Hand strengthening exercises.

A good quality DA/SA revolver should solve the problem of needing strength to manipulate a defense weapon. Something like an S&W Model 10 .38 revolver can be loaded and fired by almost anyone with average strength and the hammer can be easily cocked by almost anyone. (Precautions would need to be taken if children are present in the house.)

Such guns are often available at local gun shops at relatively low cost and will (with a speedloader or two) handle just about any self defense situation.

Be sure, though, that she knows the laws on the possession and use of firearms in home and self defense, something you are in a position to help her with.

Jim

So you are recommending a revolver be shot SA?
I know of a couple of home ventilating ADs by ladies who figured out it was a lot easier to shoot if they eared back that prominent hammer.

I have seen more than one lady running a DA/SA auto or DA revolver with both forefingers on the trigger.

I know two ladies who had trouble racking the slide. One picked a gun easier to manipulate. The other would grit her teeth and haul back the slide once per session. After that, the gun was either loaded and safed, loaded and being shot, or empty with the slide open.

Alright, as to the actual firearm manipulation issue... Go over to PAX's cornered cat site. My wife could not rack a semi auto slide at all until we tried methods taught there. She is a born natural shot but had issues manipulating semi-auto slides. Cornered cat's methods taught her how.

Second off, and more importantly, I would absolutely invest in way to "harden" yourselves as targets. Dogs, lighting, alarm systems have all been discussed. I would also research window pins, security film, and door/door jam reinforcement. There are ways to make windows almost smash proof, and doors almost kick proof. They aren't terribly expensive either.

Finally, you would rightly be at a much higher security alert level right now. I say this as LEO myself, who has been threatened numerous times from folks I've made cases on. Don't forget systematic security measures. Keep doors locked at all times. Talk to the local cops and explain the situation. Keep a long gun accessible. Keep lights bright outside, dim inside (makes seeing inside more difficult). Motion sensors placed outside that chime inside are very inexpensive. Don't take this lightly. I've had threats made against me. But I've never had perps knock on my doors/windows repeatedly. It could be kids being stupid, or it could be much worse.

"...the gun came SUPER stiff, and more breaking in of the spring..." All new firearms require a trigger job out of the box due to frivolous law suits. There's no such thing as "breaking in a spring".

Ok, I guess the gun didn't loosen up after several hundred rounds. My mistake

"...why knock and do it?..." Assuming it is kids, teasing adults is fun. You never play Nicky Nine Doors as a kid?

Right, which is why I mentioned #1 in that post about kids being kids.

"...bought my fiancé a..." She have anything to do with the selection

Yes, which is why I said she picked the Shield.

"...She's too small..." Your lady's size has nothing to do with it. Had a small statured female in my CF Army Cadet Corps who could shoot circles around most of the great big lump males with an FN C1A1(Cdn. FAL of about 12 pounds empty.) or a No. 4 Lee-Enfield.

Right. Sooo the fact that when she picks up my VP9 with medium backstrap, she can barely get the tip of her finger onto the trigger? That's why different guns fit different people.

I appreciate the response and obviously you have a lot of experience by looking at your post count. But your post does not help in any meaningful way. I'm asking for advice about other people's experiences on how to handle a situation with my fiance and a HD weapon.

Wyosmith,

Well for home defense a carbine is always going to be better than a handgun. As a former Marine I am a bit surprised you didn't come to the same conclusion.

In all honesty, I don't know why I haven't thought more about a carbine of sorts. I guess because my only AR isn't exactly set up for HD and I was thinking "night stand gun" which to me is a pistol and I guess my train of thought was pistol pistol pistol. But a lightweight 12" bbl AR with brace may be an answer. We were at the range today and she showed interest in a sub2000, which I thought may be an interesting choice as well.

Handguns are best for immediate reactions, and long arms are best for responses in a few seconds more. And remember, it's 100% OK to pick up both. A handgun in a paddle holster or even one to tuck into your belt is OK to have on you when you are going to fight. I always did so when I was a Marnie. But get the rifle first!

I don't think truer words have been spoken. Semper Fi

Thank you all for all the great responses, especially about Pax's website, and all of the other options we may have in this situation. Thanks again for your help

I like AR's,a 16" pencil barrel with an entry length or collapsible stock can be pretty easy to handle,and while by many standards,the AR might be "better,"
for any number of reasons, some that I might not understand(so what!!)
She might figure its not right for her.

There IS another pretty good rifle out there. You have to pay a bit more than they are worth,IMO...but a good specimen of a GI M1 Carbine has a "cute" and "fun" factor that will encourage familiarity. .Its light,short,easy to handle. Slide racking is easy.
And its intended role was to arm non-combatants.

Hornady makes Critical Defense rounds . Just look over the top,point it and start clanking.
A 20 gauge Benelli would certainly work.

On the AR "Handgun" configurations: I have never owned one. Based on the origin of it being designed as a 20 in rifle, I suggest the short barrels,buffer tubes.and gas system area stretch from the original design.

I'm not saying the don't work. I'm saying it MAY take some time to figure out exactly what ammo they work with. I'd want some proving time with one.Seems like you have a problem to deal with in the present.

I'd still say the handgun you have on your body in a holster is the one you can reach.
If this person crosses the line,"Going to get the long gun" might not be an option. But,agreed,I'd rather fight with a carbine of maybe a Benelli.
It can be argued that the aggressor can grab and take control of a long gun easier.Something to think about.

Somebody said a handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle.

Last edited:
First off, Semper Fi brother. I was a Marine for 9 years. I'm also a firarms instructor and work at a local gun store and sell ALOT of firearms on a daily basis. I see this slide racking problem alot with women and older people. Another problem I see is people drawing their pistol and attempt to fire but they forget to take the manual safety off.

The best firearm for those problems would be a double action only revolver. Smith and Wesson 642 airweight or a Ruger LCR loaded up with some .38spl +p ammo would be a good choice for her. +p ammo isn't really needed but it does give you more stopping power almost about the same as a .357 mag which is one of the best person stoppers around. The pistols are point and shoot. No racking or safety other than that heavy douple action trigger pull. All she has to do is point and squeeze. They are also hammerless so they will not snag on a piece of clothing or inside a purse. She can even fire from inside a jacket pocket or purse with out it jamming. She wouldn't even have to draw and present the weapon. Just point and shoot. Both of those pistols are among our top sellers for those reasons. I have alot of friends who are LEOs and they carry them as back ups. Have her try one out. Also train with her more. The more she shoots the better. Muscle memory. Just like in the Marines. I hope this helps.

Thank you those who served for your service. 69yo Vietnam Veteran here.

I have the Shield 40 and for the 2-3 months that I have had it and approximately 750 ish rounds, I find the slide very difficult to rack. I have 8 other semis and do not have a bit of problem with any of them.

I had a Sig P938 and the slide on it was very easy to manipulate and it was a very good shooter, however it started dropping magazines and the safety would go from fire to safe and even after getting it fixed I had lost confidence with it.

For the time being I will stick with the Shield because I love a challenge and am bound and determined to make it work, but I have considered getting rid of it and getting a FNS Compact.

My wife is not one to want to operate a semi automatic so she purchased a Ruger in 327 Federal Magnum and likes to shoot my Ruger SP101 with 38 spcl

Either keep a loaded round in the camber of her Shield or get the lady a double action revolver.

Best of luck, I hope everything turns out for the best.

Dogs are nice. I have to large dogs and they set out a warning for every rabbit, cat, deer, mole, plastic bag blowing in the wind, that pass by the place.

Cameras are nice, they'll let the police know who did what, a hand gun would prevent it.

Long guns are nice, but they are normally stored somewhere else, a hand gun can be kept on the person. And they are cumbersome when doing to things at once, such as having it in your hand while calling the sheriff.

DO NOT buy into the hype she doesn't need to work the slide if its chambered already. I person needs a gun they can load, unload, and feel totally comfortable with.

Take her to a range/gun store that lets her try different guns. Let her pick what works for her.

We can recommend this and that, which works great fur us, but that doesn't me it will work for her.

You probably put all your autos into battery slingshot (as do I). That's the way it's taught most places and is considered a little safer because the barrel stays completely downrange. But, that's not the only way to do it. She might do better manipulating the slide with her whole hand on it press method. It gives a lot more grip and leverage than the slingshot.

Everyone is different. Certainly worth a try.

Everybody seems bent on helping her spend more money on a different gun.
Assuming the techniques recommended in Cornered Cat don't let her rack the slide with some degree of authority (has she tried them?), let's spend less money on a gimmick.

There are sights with square front faces meant to be used to rack the slide one handed against a tabletop, doorframe, or boot heel.
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-...arger-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/
https://www.heinie.com/4096l-heinies-s-w-m-p-shield-ledge-straight-eight-night-sight

What do you (and she) think of that? Can she rack the gun with a good grip on the butt and you holding the slide?

In my experience, most men don’t manipulate the slide in the “proper” way. And that’s because they don’t need to; they have sufficient arm strength that it doesn’t matter how they rack it. But then they teach women this improper method, and those women often have trouble racking the slide as a result.

I have had many, many experienced instructors tell me that they’ve never encountered an able-bodied woman who couldn’t be taught to manipulate almost any slide. Check out the previous link to Pax’ (Kathy Jackson’s) website that shows the best way to rack a slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back