So you pulled your gun on someone what happened next???

just because you might be JUSTIFIED to pull your weapon and USE it, Doesn't mean you HAVE to.

Still more proof that you don't have to shoot every time you draw. Try to be justified, certainly be ready to use it if no other option remains, but by all means don't shoot when you pull if they quit.

Hammerstrike, thank you for that horrendous story (horrendous because you had to, and have to continue to live with it). Thanks to you though, your family is safe because of what you did. I pray that something like that never happens to you again, and I also pray that you don't live each day second guessing or having nightmares or worrying about those two people. Your child and wife are safe and alive thanks to you. God bless them and you for keeping them alive.

So, if the 5 attackers did not previously know or have the intellect to deduce where he lived from where he was coming from, he lead 5 admittedly violent and aggressive assailants INTO his HOME before ever drawing his weapon or establishing a solid threat of lethal force?

Boy, I hope they don't hang out there often/hold a grudge/attack him in his sleep/rob, vandalize, assault, or murder him in his own home at a later date/jump him with a weapon more lethal than a leather belt/attack his family when he's not home/etc...

If 5 assailants threaten you and begin to surround you, you arm yourself. If you don't, you're stupid. Even if you don't happen to have a gun or knife on you as you should; you should look quickly for a rock/bottle, take off YOUR belt/jacket, pick up ANYTHING you can use to bludgeon, throw, cut, or stab. Outnumbered 5 to 1 I'm not taking any chances and I sure wouldn't let myself get surrounded by them before I did anything to indicate my intent to defend myself other than continue to question their conviction to my impending assault.

I also don't exactly understand this line:
Firmly with one hand out holding the attacker away he kept repeating "Please step back, You don't want to do this". My friends other hand was on his weapon, aimed at the attacker.

How would he have a "holstered" weapon "aimed at the attacker"?

In this case, your friend is a shining example of the adage, "it's better to be lucky than good." These 5 guys that were surrounding him could have probably taken him out at any time before he could draw his weapon and get a shot off. Surely before he could get 5 off that all hit them individually directly in the head; most likely from beyond his peripheral before he even noticed it (if that was their intent). Too many tactical mistakes here to count make this a shining example of what NOT to do. For future reference, this doesn't exactly paint your friend in a favorable light other than his extreme moral apprehension to threaten or take a life- (which is admirable in it's own sense)- at a marked increase in the threat to his own life.

JMHO,
~LT

I won't retell my story as the thread I started about it got about 3 pages of idiots crying about how I had screwed up by not taking the lives of two drunk kids.

There are NO ABSOLUTES in any given threat scenario that tell me you shoot when you draw no matter what. And there are plenty of incidents of the weapon presentation ending a dangerous situation peacefully.

Yep.

LordTeo, I was thinking the same thing when I read that story...I love the part about holding back the other guy with one hand....thats hilarious....anyways, this is a great thread...

Only once, man stole my neighbor’s car and less than 10 hours later was in a gas station less than 3 blocks (residential aria) from where it was stolen.
I never actually pointed the gun at him, I only showed it to him and walked him into the gas station and asked the owner to call police. He became very agreeable with my demands.
The only person that gave me any trouble was the man’s sister, but another person in the store that could have made a football tackle helped me hold the man in the store.
The sister left without the car. Some of the things she called me was very unlady like.
One of the neighbor’s boys later asked what I would have done if he would have started running. I disappointed them by saying “wave goodbye.”

One of the neighbor’s boys later asked what I would have done if he would have started running. I disappointed them by saying “wave goodbye.”

Disappointed by the proper decision. Its funny how emotion plays into situations at times.

I have a DVR camera system at my home. Someone had tossed a large lime rock from our landscape at our house causing minor damage to the porch floor and paint. It turned out to be a group of youths who had also moved my neighbors garbage can to my front yard and one of them entered my property and checked my truck door to see if it was open. We were on vacation. My wife was very "emotional" LoL and wanted to lay in wait to ambush them.

Someone invades or steals your property and or damages it and it is very emotional. Cooler heads and restraint is a must when bringing firearms into the picture.

threegun said:
Cooler heads and restraint is a must when bringing firearms into the picture.

After working with you for what now, 16 years, I can say, with great comfort BTW, you'll be the first to clear leather / plastic when the situation gets ticklish. I prefer to partner with someone who doesn't need to mull it over first. So I don't know about all this restraint talk. LOL.

An old guy comes to my door. He wants to use my phone to
call the cops. He said this big guy cut his phone line and the
line of a young lady that he was stalking. The old man was
trying to help the girl out and the bad guy was out to get
his way. I new the old guy and did not want to see him get
hurt.

As he called the cops, I pocketed a 9mm KelTec P11.

We went out side. When we got out there, the young lady
came out.

Then, from the dark bushes, out comes this huge guy, about
280 pounds and at least 6'5". He looked 10' tall to me.

He started cussing at the old guy.

Then he started at the old like he was going to hunt him!!!

I pulled my pistol and cocked it.

That sound stopped the guy dead in his tracks.

I never actually pointed it at him because he stopped.

He then cussed and pointed his finger at the old guy and said
he was going to get him!!!

He walked across the street and mounted a big Harley and
thundered off.

The police showed up and we could still hear that loud Harley
in the distance.

I got out of there. I did not have a permit at that time.

Sense then, I have been attacked while metal detecting. I did
not have a weapon, but I defended myself with my digger. But
I was bruised and out of commission for a while. If I had had
even a 22, I could have kept myself from being hurt. he was
just a junky lookin for a fix.

That changed my opinion about carrying a weapon.

I also realize I am not Dirty Harry. There may be a time that a
person will need lots of stopping power, but in my every day
life, a 32 auto will do just fine 99.9% of the time. Running
works more often than that.

Considering I am 61 and only needed it twice, (real bad), I see
little need to weight myself down with a slab of iron.

I carry most of the time now. I keep a bigger gun in my car.

I keep a 12 gauge Remington pump at home, as well as a revolver
and more if I need it.

Take care,

Tabdog

I did not have a round in the barrel,

So I had to cock it to get a round
ready to fire.

OK, so I did not say it right,

sue me,

Tabdog

I have carried daily for 30 years as a private citizen. I have never pulled a gun on anyone. Can you imagine what the other person could do? He could dare you to shoot him and taunt you. If you shoot, you go to prison unless you are on firm legal ground. If you don't he makes a fool out of you. Think it over real well. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. Taking someones life is a big deal, just make sure your'e ready to live with it. Best ,Lyle

Can you imagine what the other person could do? He could dare you to shoot him and taunt you. If you shoot, you go to prison unless you are on firm legal ground. If you don't he makes a fool out of you.

Would you rather be branded a fool by an idiot, or a murderer by a jury of your peers? Not really a difficult question if you ask me.

That being said, your question is based on flawed assumptions. If you have had probable cause to rightfully and legally brandish your firearm with the intent to establish a threat of lethal force, then you are legally justified in using legal force. You don't pull your gun on an unarmed person unless they are a real threat to you.

So, including this information in your scenario, you have established that the person is either armed and dangerous, or otherwise poses an honest and articulable threat to you. You have established this and have drawn your weapon with him now at gunpoint.

Personally, I could not care less what he says, who he insults, how loud he is, or what language he's using as long as he complies with my demands which can be as simple as, "Don't come any closer and put that weapon down." If he doesn't have a gun as well, you have him by the balls and he knows it. Anything he says afterwords is petty and unimportant. It would be like yelling insults and threats at a Secret Service Agent. Yah, you might get in a good quip, but he has the right to detain you for 48 hours without cause. Which end would you rather be on? Personally I'd rather be behind the trigger.

If he does anything at that point to increase the already present threat to you, you are legally justified in shooting him, because he's an absolute idiot who either wants to die, or is honestly willing to bet his life that a stranger that he knows nothing about doesn't have it in him to pull the trigger. Don't give him the chance of being right. Protect yourself.

JMHO,
~LT

Iv been there too many times.

I have been in countless armed encounters and have shot 8 people, 2 died on the scene. All these actions i have been charged and i was found to have acted in self defence.

I have learned the following very quickly. You pull your gun and stare at the bad guy you making a big mistake as a private citizen with no back up. Bad guys can be smart, in South Africa you will lose your gun and your life in a matter of seconds because the only thing they are thinking about at that point is to take your gun. They feel that if you have not pulled the trigger yet you have no balls and will probably not.

Learn to draw and fire fast. Give them verbal warnings if the situation allows. If you feel that you are in danger and you need to take control or face injury or death, draw and shoot immediately. Stop them in their tracks.

Under gun point they will tell you all kind of things and the bad guy or his friends will come close until you are in a very bad situation tactically. His " friend" will tell you to put the gun away and that he will take him home or make some excuse like being drunk etc and when you least expect it you will be in a struggle to hold onto your gun.

I have made that mistake but fortunately managed to win but it could go very wrong easily.

Run away or pull the trigger. There is nothing in between. Bad guys only freeze while at gun point in the movies

to pull or not to pull,

This is an interesting discussion. I noticed that you made no mention of the perpetrator being armed. I've personally never given thought to pulling a gun on an unarmed person, nor do I think anyone should. Aren't we guilty of bringing a gun to a fist fight if we do?
I had a similar encounter with an unarmed, unstable person at a filling station years ago while armed. The guy decided that I needed to be beat up for taking his fuel pump. No amount of verbal persuasion could change his mind and before I knew it, the fight was on. Thankfully I was able to hold my own until he was tired enough to stop throwing punches and curse me instead (by the way, the sticks and stones thing really is true).I got back in my car, found another filling station, the wounds healed in a week or so and life went on.
Making the decision to pull my weapon in a confrontation means not doing so will put my life in immediate danger (life, not reputation). This is the definition of self defense with a handgun as I understand it. Please provide more details about your experience and share your thoughts, I'd like to see it from your point of view.
thanks, eb

One time I was driving and 2 gentlemen pulled up alongside me, obviously peeved at me. For what, I don't know, but I am a fairly aggressive driver. Anyway, they started pulling over into my lane, trying to run me off the road. At best, I would have gone into the curb, at worst, head on into oncoming traffic. Then the cars in their lane braked but my lane was still going, so I got ahead of them.

They soon came back alongside me and started coming into my lane again. I pulled my .45 and extended my arm in their direction whlie keeping the pistol below the window so they couldn't see it yet. I glanced in front to make sure no idiots were stopping for no apparent reason, then back at the guys. The passenger had apparently read my body language and figured I was about to pop a pistol up, pointed at them (which I was) and I saw him grab the driver's shirt and yell at him. He hit the brakes and I kept going.

Just another day's commute in Houston.

Back