So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"

SD ammo is still available and at "pre-panic" prices as far as I can tell. That has to be the #1 concern. Range ammo is important for practice, but I can practice with .22LR or pellet guns, which I am, and luckily, I'm still able to hit the range twice a month too. The only unanticipated disruption eating into my ammo supply is my son's newfound desire to go to the range with me.

Out of curiosity, has there been a run on Berdan primers yet? I seem to remember somebody saying you COULD reload steel cases, it was just a PITA.

For us guys with Makarovs, AK's, SKS's, and things like the roller-block guns that happily eat 308 steel, it may one day become a useful item.

Berdan primers aren't easy to find during normal times.

I said before and now--take your next (or last) check and buy at least 1000
rounds of a couple ammos.. or use savings since there is no interest might as well 'invest it'.

If you do reload a few pounds of powder and couple thousand primers and bullets.

Then shoot when ever you wish but dont get under 500 or so on the ammo before another buy. We would think Obama taught us something but we are slow learners.

As far as prices being 'painful' they wont go down and that is aided/abetted by the free $$$$. Just think what your grandkids will pay for 9mm...

My Dad said when he and Mom married (Sept 1931) you could buy a pork loin for 50 CENTS (the whole thing). Problem was-no one had 50 cents.

Turkey was $1.00/pound when he was teenager. They had chicken for Thanksgiving. Never asked what they cost, darn it.

Interesting trun of events. I have a local police supply distributor/retail warehouse and that is where I can buy SD ammo in boxes of 50 for less than the same ammo packaged in 20 round boxes at most LGS.
They also noirmally have cases of "training ammo" of all calibers on the shelves at all times even when others are out, think 2012 election time.
Yesterday I drove over for a box of .45 SD loads. The had three on the shelf and not much else. The clerk told me she they had never seen a supply chain so disrupted.
I bought one and left two remaining for the next guy. 50 rds Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot $29.99/bx.
Glad I made the decision to reload thirty years ago.

I think, in addition to the supply chain being messed up, there's just a mad buying frenzy going on too.

I've gotten emails for zip guns, AR style shotguns, today I got an email for SKS promags. These are things we gun owners consider novelties... but right now they're flying off the shelves. There are people who are buying anything they can get their hands on.

What I learned during a previous ammo shortage was to get more 40 S&W handguns and get get a 9mm and a 357 Sig barrel for each.

Now I have 4 40s with 9mm and 357 Sig and appropriate magazines.

While I have ample 9mm (I do not carry it and it is a backup just in case) practice and SD, I can find 40 and 357 Sig very readily. Just got a bunch in (as well as some 9mm) today.

All of my 40s are convertible to all 3 calibers. If you can not find one or two of the calibers you have a third for the same platform. If they all dry up you, like myself, will wish you had started hand loading.

I do not regret my choices. Even the durn Gluck 27 which has been a nightmare for several years may finally be fixed to a point I can trust it for some form of self defense. Going through a 500+ round retesting of all 3 calibers in it before it gets trusted with my and/or my loved ones lives.

Just turn on your TV for 5 minutes and there is plenty of reason to have a gun right there in plain sight.
More senseless violence than I have ever seen in my 72-year lifetime.
I haven't seen any statistics on concealed carry permits but I will bet that applications for those has gone through the roof just like the demand for guns and ammo.

I will never, ever buy anything from CTD. Their name is a lie unless you believe that "Cheaper Than" means the same thing as "Treat Your Customers Like".

What you see is par for the course. You can always count on them to react just like that as soon as there's even the hint that supply is not keeping up with demand.

John,

I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up. I certainly would not pay $.90 per round for standard 9mm fmj ammo.

stephen426 said:
John,

I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up. I certainly would not pay $.90 per round for standard 9mm fmj ammo.
Please let us know of Cheaper Than Dirt ever has a price you want to pay.

CTD went on my "never, ever, no how, no way" list at least ten or fifteen years ago. There is nothing "cheap" about their prices, and they are notorious for gouging. That's all JohnKSa was trying to convey.

when TSHTF dont rely on gun stores to have what you need, it's the same with food / rations , you have to be prepared at all times

most people are just too use to having everything so easy & convenient , dont know how to cook, too lazy always ordering take out, the pandemic also had an effect on that, you better learn how to cook or stock extra food in case of a lockdown, or civil unrest.

too much easy living has made people "soft"

You know what's really funny? CDNN Sports has a SD9VE (G3 Sigma) on sale for $399 each when 3 months ago they listed for $249. About the only 9mm pistol that is still going for pre-panic prices is the Hi Point C9.

I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up.
Just to be clear, I didn't tell anyone not to buy from CTD, just said that I would not and provided one reason why.

I was a CTD customer at one point and they drove me off with their practices. At this point, I will never buy from them again regardless of what they have or at what prices. In practice, that hasn't caused me to pass up any good deals. Others always have better prices, especially when you factor in more customer friendly shipping/handling costs.

For years have always found CTD prices higher than others on the internet. Have always used their prices as a guide line on what not to pay for any ammo or gear.

Well if you can't find 9mm ammo you can always find 9mm cases at any range & reload if you have stocked up on supplys. Every time I go to the range 9mm cases are laying everywhere.

Back